Beilein's strengths/weaknesses

I think this year, the past week especially, have really exposed some flaws in Beilein as a coach that the class of 2012 covered up with their talent. I believe that the stars aligned for the 12/13-13/14 seasons in a way that they are unlikely to again (i.e. an under the radar player blowing up to the extent that GR3 and Burke did, and GR3 bringing McGary along), and unless Beilein adapts and makes certain changes, he has peaked. Let’s take a look at his strengths and weaknesses and where he and the program have to improve:

Strengths:
-Talent identification: Indisputable, he has far more hits than misses, both with high-end talent and under the radar guys. THJr, Bruke, Stauskus, GR3, Caris, MAAR, Booker, Bates-Diop, he simply ID’s players as well or better than anyone else. Offering Walton before Izzo was a great call (although on the flipside, I would really like to have Javon Bess given the current roster makeup right now).

-Offensive skill development: The low TO% and (normally) great shooting is certainly in part a product of playing with 4 perimeter players, but the staff also does a great job coaching and developing fundamental offensive skills from the day the players arrive in Ann Arbor.

-Offensive scheme: Floor spacing is supberb, passing and driving lanes are open that allow for players to take advantage of their skill development. Beilein’s teams are a headache to defend.

Weaknesses:
-Talent acquisition: Recruiting failures have been well-documented recently. I worry that this is a personality issue, and something that can’t be remedied with more resources or effort. What can be remedied is the amount of redundant skill sets on the team. I worry that the recent success has gone to Beilein’s head, and he believes he can win with any mix of skill sets.

-Defensive scheme/personnel: This is the trade off for the low TO% and good shooting that comes with 4 perimeter players. Beilein’s teams will always be undersized and will struggle on the boards due to their lack of size and physicality. This is something that UM can live with if the talent/athleticism is present to compensate.

-In-game coaching: This is where most will disagree with me. Beilein gets flustered in-game and makes poor decisions. We’ve beaten the 1-3-1, the inbounding, and other specific scheme issues to death, but the thing that sticks out to me is the lack of command that Beilein has in high pressure situations. Asking the players what they want to do at the end of the Northwestern game with regards to fouling or playing defense is outrageous. It’s as concerning as the story about Beilein flipping out in the huddle at the end of the Tennessee game last year, and I believe it was Spike who said he just started shouting and talking so fast that no one could understand what he was saying, and it was the PLAYERS who had to calm the COACH down. That’s unacceptable.

I worry that the talent acquisition won’t mask the other flaws going forward, and that Michigan does not win another Big Ten title or advance to a Final Four again under Beilein. That’s not to say he’s a bad coach, far from it. He likely has 3-5 years left, and if he simply keeps us afloat, a team that makes the tournament 80% of the time and reaches a Sweet 16 or two, then the program will be ripe for a more dynamic personality, like LaVall Jordan or another young and aggressive coach, to come take the program back to the level it was in the 80s. If Beilein lands 2 of Brown/Langford/Murray/Battle/Winston/another high-end player in the next 2 years, then I’m wrong and the sky’s the limit for this program in the near future. Here’s hoping.

I disagree with most of the things you list as weaknesses. Talent acquisition is not a problem. Look how he has built it up from where it was. We will not always be undersized. A few years ago we had Zack at 6’4" (generous) playing the 4. Now we have 6’6’ to 6’9 at the 4 and we have a 7 footer coming in 2016.
Asking what players want to do in a key situation is not unusual and certainly can not be termed unacceptable. Ever hear of a team asking the coach to let them go for it on a big 4th down play? I think he is a good in game coach. I don’t agree with his decisions all the time, but that would be the case with anyone. As for getting excited in the huddle, have you ever watched Izzo, Coach K, Bobby Knight. Some of the best can get pretty excited.
We do need to work on that inbounds play. I agree with that.
Remember, he is working with a very young and inexperienced team this year. That factors into a lot of decisions.

I disagree with most of the things you list as weaknesses. Talent acquisition is not a problem. Look how he has built it up from where it was. We will not always be undersized. A few years ago we had Zack at 6'4" (generous) playing the 4. Now we have 6'6' to 6'9 at the 4 and we have a 7 footer coming in 2016. Asking what players want to do in a key situation is not unusual and certainly can not be termed unacceptable. Ever hear of a team asking the coach to let them go for it on a big 4th down play? I think he is a good in game coach. I don't agree with his decisions all the time, but that would be the case with anyone. As for getting excited in the huddle, have you ever watched Izzo, Coach K, Bobby Knight. Some of the best can get pretty excited. We do need to work on that inbounds play. I agree with that. Remember, he is working with a very young and inexperienced team this year. That factors into a lot of decisions.

Compare our roster going forward to Ohio State, Michigan State, Indiana or Illinois. It’s not in the same ballpark. DJ Wilson at the 4 is not going to work. Beilein can push that all he wants, but if DJ is playing the 4 then we are not winning the Big Ten and we are not going to the Final Four. So our 4’s going forward are Dawkins, Robinson, Irvin, and Chatman (unless he moves to the 2 or 3), all of whom are ~6’6" 210-215ish. That is undersized.

Izzo, Coach K, and Bobby Knight get excited, but they don’t require their players to calm them down, and there’s never a question who’s in charge.

“I worry that the recent success has gone to Beilein’s head, and he thinks he can win with any mix of skill sets.”

If that were the case, he wouldn’t be recruiting the Blackmons, Doziers, Langfords, and Battles of the world.

Re: In game coaching, I tend to agree in a lot of situations. And let me say that I’m one of the most hardcore Beilein fans around since my high school days. I can’t stop thinking back to 2012-2013 Wisconsin, not fouling when not even in single bonus to stop that halfcourt 3. That bugs me all to hell.

Edit: I do think this may likely be that Beilein hopes his in-practice coaching pays off, which is easier with more senior players knowing what he wants. If everyone fits into the system he has been practicing very well, then I think this becomes less noticeable.

Regarding the 3 at the end of the 2013 Wisconsin game, the players were instructed to foul.

Regarding Beilein “flipping out” in the huddle against Tennessee, I think you’re exaggerating. There is also no mention of anyone not being able to understand him.

There are valid criticisms of Beilein–his lack of salesmanship, his preference (seemingly) of skill and fundamentals over athletic ability and aggression at a position (the 5) where the latter seem like more of a need for Michigan’s type of team, his 2-foul autobenching when depth should not allow that, and I’m sure there are a few other things. But let’s at least keep the criticisms (and the praise) rooted in reality.

I disagree with most of the things you list as weaknesses. Talent acquisition is not a problem. Look how he has built it up from where it was. We will not always be undersized. A few years ago we had Zack at 6'4" (generous) playing the 4. Now we have 6'6' to 6'9 at the 4 and we have a 7 footer coming in 2016. Asking what players want to do in a key situation is not unusual and certainly can not be termed unacceptable. Ever hear of a team asking the coach to let them go for it on a big 4th down play? I think he is a good in game coach. I don't agree with his decisions all the time, but that would be the case with anyone. As for getting excited in the huddle, have you ever watched Izzo, Coach K, Bobby Knight. Some of the best can get pretty excited. We do need to work on that inbounds play. I agree with that. Remember, he is working with a very young and inexperienced team this year. That factors into a lot of decisions.

There has been mistakes at bad times, but it was an odd year attrition and injury wise. Walton was never 100% after that awkward landing against Villanova, in a game we still win if Donnal just gives the ball to Spike.

Aside from Wisconsin, go down the list of teams and take away two of the better players off each team, and see how they fare. It will be ugly.

If we had at least Walton, we still make the tournament despite the non-conference losses.

You comment about players supposedly needing to calm down Beilein and then you use probably one of the most ridiculously inaccurate lists of coaches to defend your point.

There has been mistakes at bad times, but it was an odd year attrition and injury wise. Walton was never 100% after that awkward landing against Villanova, in a game we still win if Donnal just gives the ball to Spike.

Aside from Wisconsin, go down the list of teams and take away two of the better players off each team, and see how they fare. It will be ugly.

If we had at least Walton, we still make the tournament despite the non-conference losses.

We were bad before our 2 best players were taken off our team. Why does every Michigan fan ignore that?

It’s quite simple. If we want to continue to not just make the NCAA tournament, but make a run in it, we have to recruit better. It’s as simple as that. JB is a great coach, he’s not a miracle worker. We can’t continue to have recruiting classes made up of projects.

<

We were bad before our 2 best players were taken off our team. Why does every Michigan fan ignore that?

It’s quite simple. If we want to continue to not just make the NCAA tournament, but make a run in it, we have to recruit better. It’s as simple as that. JB is a great coach, he’s not a miracle worker. We can’t continue to have recruiting classes made up of projects.

Like I said, after Villanova, Walton was limited and not himself. He was limited against Syracuse as well. Prior to that game we were undefeated. The only “projects” were Dawkins and MAAR - who happen to be doing better than their higher ranked teammates.

We lost both prior to the more difficult stretch of the season and we proceeded to play close games throughout (while being forced to play Dakich). I don’t know why people keep pretending like Walton or Levert wouldn’t help reverse a lot of those results.

If we would have finished 11-7 or higher in the Big Ten, we would have made the tournament. We played more than half the conference season without both guys and will likely finish 8-10. 4-5 results could have easily been reversed had we had at least one of them.

This was going to be a bit of a re-tooling season unless guys were ready immediately -which they weren’t and then the injuries derailed the remaining hopes.

No one besides Wisconsin was built to do anything in the tournament this year anyway. Its a down year talent wise in the conference.

I tend to agree that JB does have some coaching weaknesses. And I do not always agree with some of his in game decisions. However, most of this comes from his coaching philosophy. He probably is not going to change that anytime soon. Beilein is not going to recruit the over- sized "football typ"e player just so he can secure the glass. He would rather have great shooters and players with high b-ball IQ’s.
Because why?

Because basketball is a game of possession’s and efficiency. And because 3 is always going to be more than 2.

And yes, I realize better rebounding will give you more possession’s, but that is not
the avenue he has chosen. That method is used by that “screamer” over in East Lansing.

I believe he does “miss” on some top recruits. But maybe this is because he first recruits character!. He wants players with good solid family backgrounds. Kids that are humble and want to work hard. Kids with morals and strong religious beliefs. This is what I love most about this guy. When was the last time JB had to dismiss a player? Ever?
I truly believe this is why his teams have such good chemistry. They all love each other and play hard for each other. This is one of the reasons Beilein has been able to do so much with not so much talent. And look at the results when he does have the talent!

Here’s hoping Josh Langford comes to Ann Arbor in 2016!

I wouldn’t say we were bad. I’d say we were inconsistent. And it’s not uncommon for JB teams to improve over the course of the season. Last year we lost to Charlotte, struggled with FSU, and got beat bad by Duke. At the end of the year we were a team capable of winning it all. In 10-11, we were pretty poor the first half of the season losing to UTEP, Indiana (they were 3-15 in the B1G that year) and N’W. Then we went on a good run and got in the tourney and almost upset Duke.

Now, I don’t know if we make the tournament with Caris and Walton, but I think we would have turned it around eventually. Not a conference contender like some believed (I didn’t) before the year started, but a solid team in the 7-10 range seed wise.

I don’t disagree that he has to recruit better. We’ve gotta get those creators to maintain some consistency and get open looks.

I’ll chime in…and attempt to give my honest opinion while being diplomatic. Let met get it out of the way right now - Do I think JB is a great coach the way that some around here believe he is…in no way, shape, or form. I do believe, however, that he is a good coach in most respects.

I think JB is a very good in game coach in terms of coming up with a general offensive scheme/plan to beat any given team on any given night…Syracuse and VCU really come to mind. However, I do think JB’s reaction time and counters when the initial plan ceases to work is lagging.

In terms of talent identification , especially undervalued talent, there can be no question that JB is great…Burke, THJ, Spike, Caris, MAAR, Damien Jefferson. The guy can simply spot a good player when others may not appreciate the same. However, as stated above, talent acquisition is a different story. I’m not going to go in depth here because I think we all know deep down JB isn’t a very good salesman…and I’ll leave it at that.

I love that JB teams and players traditionally improve through the course of a season in totality (defense not so much), you can see the team/players growing game by game. That being said, I think my biggest complaint about JB is refusal to win any other way besides a perimeter based attack.The fact that he consistently fields teams that are subpar defensively and on the glass irks me to no end. The staple of any coach is the ability to identify a weakness and improve it…and that simply hasn’t happened under JB. I think JB values outside shooting to a fault, to the detriment of other aspects of the game. Many are quick to point out that there is more than one way to win…and I respond by saying, you are correct. And I think its time JB started diversifying his philosophy and recruiting to allow more options to win. No need to totally abandon his general principles, but I think we can all agree we need a bit more diversity with our personnel and gameplans.

JB has his faults, as do much most coaches, but he’s a good coach overall. When he has time to prepare his teams for a reasonable time, the team generally is well prepared and performs well. The man is a good/great offensive coach that beats teams by putting up more shots because of more possessions and good outside shooting and the corresponding spacing that it brings. Defensively, he’s never going to be good, but if his offense is great, it can compensate provided we’re at least below average in that regard.

In sum, I’m going to be patient, and withhold judgment until the 2016 season/recruiting cycle has played out. If he has another down year and isn’t able to land an upper tier creator, then I think more criticism may be warranted. But he’s entitled to a down year considering the past 2 years, which were phenomenal

I pretty much agree with the stated strengths/weaknesses.
We have a good coach. We needed an ethical guy to come in and get the ship on track.

Come tourney time, you really can’t have much of a better coach.

**pertaining to this year, it’s been frustrating for many reasons but not many coaches could be 1 dumb play away from going 9-9 in the Big Ten after losing Stauskas, GR3, McGary, Morgan, Horford, Levert, and Walton.

I'll chime in............and attempt to give my honest opinion while being diplomatic. Let met get it out of the way right now - Do I think JB is a *great* coach the way that some around here believe he is.............in no way, shape, or form. I do believe, however, that he is a good coach in most respects.

I think JB is a very good in game coach in terms of coming up with a general offensive scheme/plan to beat any given team on any given night…Syracuse and VCU really come to mind. However, I do think JB’s reaction time and counters when the initial plan ceases to work is lagging.

In terms of talent identification , especially undervalued talent, there can be no question that JB is great…Burke, THJ, Spike, Caris, MAAR, Damien Jefferson. The guy can simply spot a good player when others may not appreciate the same. However, as stated above, talent acquisition is a different story. I’m not going to go in depth here because I think we all know deep down JB isn’t a very good salesman…and I’ll leave it at that.

I love that JB teams and players traditionally improve through the course of a season in totality (defense not so much), you can see the team/players growing game by game. That being said, I think my biggest complaint about JB is refusal to win any other way besides a perimeter based attack.The fact that he consistently fields teams that are subpar defensively and on the glass irks me to no end. The staple of any coach is the ability to identify a weakness and improve it…and that simply hasn’t happened under JB. I think JB values outside shooting to a fault, to the detriment of other aspects of the game. Many are quick to point out that there is more than one way to win…and I respond by saying, you are correct. And I think its time JB started diversifying his philosophy and recruiting to allow more options to win. No need to totally abandon his general principles, but I think we can all agree we need a bit more diversity with our personnel and gameplans.

JB has his faults, as do much most coaches, but he’s a good coach overall. When he has time to prepare his teams for a reasonable time, the team generally is well prepared and performs well. The man is a good/great offensive coach that beats teams by putting up more shots because of more possessions and good outside shooting and the corresponding spacing that it brings. Defensively, he’s never going to be good, but if his offense is great, it can compensate provided we’re at least below average in that regard.

In sum, I’m going to be patient, and withhold judgment until the 2016 season/recruiting cycle has played out. If he has another down year and isn’t able to land an upper tier creator, then I think more criticism may be warranted. But he’s entitled to a down year considering the past 2 years, which were phenomenal

Matt, that’s a very fair analysis. I might disagree with the ultimate conclusion of good vs. very good/great, but the breakdown of strengths and weaknesses is, in general, spot on.

As soon as we switch back to Nike, JBs personality will be a non factor. The acquisition of game changing talent will be readily available and recruiting will flourish. It’s that simple, watch.

Regarding the 3 at the end of the 2013 Wisconsin game, the players were instructed to foul.

Regarding Beilein “flipping out” in the huddle against Tennessee, I think you’re exaggerating. There is also no mention of anyone not being able to understand him.

There are valid criticisms of Beilein–his lack of salesmanship, his preference (seemingly) of skill and fundamentals over athletic ability and aggression at a position (the 5) where the latter seem like more of a need for Michigan’s type of team, his 2-foul autobenching when depth should not allow that, and I’m sure there are a few other things. But let’s at least keep the criticisms (and the praise) rooted in reality.

Where am I exaggerating? "“We kind of let him go on his spiel there and then we have to go huddle up again after,” Albrecht says. “There’s so much going on in the game and he has so much to say, and we’ve only got a minute in this timeout here.”

So they waste the timeout letting the coach “go on his spiel”, then they huddle up and figure out what they have to do? The players shouldn’t have to coach themselves. I don’t see Izzo’s teams making similar end-of-game errors that Beilein’s do. Izzo is the general and everyone follows his orders.

I believe he does "miss" on some top recruits. But maybe this is because he first recruits character!. He wants players with good solid family backgrounds. Kids that are humble and want to work hard. Kids with morals and strong religious beliefs. This is what I love most about this guy. When was the last time JB had to dismiss a player? Ever?

Agree with the earlier points you made, but how does this point explain missing on Booker, Blackmon, Kennard, Grandstaff, Bates-Diop, Bluiett (ok, that was a weird one, maybe he gets a pass there), Coleman, Thorton, Ali…this list is so long I can’t begin to remember them all. I don’t doubt there are a fair number of kids that he doesn’t touch for various reasons (Josh Jackson), but I don’t see those kids headed to MSU or OSU either, and Izzo and Matta seem to do a lot better with what’s available than Beilein does.

The analogy I can think of is Beilein is the brilliant R&D scientist with no sales ability. He makes great things in the lab, but not enough people buy his product because he can’t sell what he’s cooking.

JB has his faults, as do much most coaches, but he's a good coach overall. When he has time to prepare his teams for a reasonable time, the team generally is well prepared and performs well.

That’s true, and I should add that to his strengths. He’s like Meyer or Paterno in the respect that, “Give him time to prepare, and you’re toast”. The preparation for the Syracuse Final Four game was phenomenal. SU was probably the better team, and Michigan just shellshocked them in the first half.

Where am I exaggerating? "“We kind of let him go on his spiel there and then we have to go huddle up again after,” Albrecht says. “There’s so much going on in the game and he has so much to say, and we’ve only got a minute in this timeout here.”

So they waste the timeout letting the coach “go on his spiel”, then they huddle up and figure out what they have to do? The players shouldn’t have to coach themselves. I don’t see Izzo’s teams making similar end-of-game errors that Beilein’s do. Izzo is the general and everyone follows his orders.

I believe he does "miss" on some top recruits. But maybe this is because he first recruits character!. He wants players with good solid family backgrounds. Kids that are humble and want to work hard. Kids with morals and strong religious beliefs. This is what I love most about this guy. When was the last time JB had to dismiss a player? Ever?

Agree with the earlier points you made, but how does this point explain missing on Booker, Blackmon, Kennard, Grandstaff, Bates-Diop, Bluiett (ok, that was a weird one, maybe he gets a pass there), Coleman, Thorton, Ali…this list is so long I can’t begin to remember them all. I don’t doubt there are a fair number of kids that he doesn’t touch for various reasons (Josh Jackson), but I don’t see those kids headed to MSU or OSU either, and Izzo and Matta seem to do a lot better with what’s available than Beilein does.

The analogy I can think of is Beilein is the brilliant R&D scientist with no sales ability. He makes great things in the lab, but not enough people buy his product because he can’t sell what he’s cooking.

JB has his faults, as do much most coaches, but he's a good coach overall. When he has time to prepare his teams for a reasonable time, the team generally is well prepared and performs well.

That’s true, and I should add that to his strengths. He’s like Meyer or Paterno in the respect that, “Give him time to prepare, and you’re toast”. The preparation for the Syracuse Final Four game was phenomenal. SU was probably the better team, and Michigan just shellshocked them in the first half.

You don’t see Izzo’s teams making the same end of game mistakes? Did you watch the Minnesota game a week and a half ago, where MSU blew a 6 point lead in the last 1/2 minute, allowing the very same 3 point barrage that NW had against us, AND actually gave Minnesota a chance to win via a 4 point play in regulation where they weren’t supposed to foul and did anyway on the shot? Or how about the Maryland game in East Lansing, when Wells hit a 3 with 2 seconds to go to force OT…sound familiar? Or the Illinois game in East Lansing, where MSU came out of the TO after the technical and forced up a terrible shot (according to Izzo) with ample time to go, down 1? Do you think everyone was following the General’s orders in those games? If so, the General issued some pretty crazy orders.

At no point in that article does it say, or even imply, that the Michigan players had to coach themselves, either in the Tennessee game, or at any other time. I’m sorry, but that’s way over the top.

Re: JB being so overexcited that he couldn’t communicate with the squad - it’s only a weakness if it’s a fairly frequent occurrence. One example has been brought up. Unless there are more instances of this being an issue, I have a hard time calling it a weakness. If it is indeed what happened, I’m chalking it up as a one time slip up. Which happens to even the best of coaches.