Beilein needs to recruit like Matta, they said

One of the worst posts ever on this board, and that is saying something. Utah didn’t win at Duke, OSU didn’t win at UK, and Butler didn’t win at Purdue.

As has been pointed out, Michigan has won many neutral site and road games as the underdog under JB. But, hey, don’t let facts get in the way of a good childlike tantrum.

4 Likes

Michigan might not have a lot of quality wins through two months, but nothing in your post is really true @MChem83.

Obviously the ‘road’ element of your examples is wrong (all were on neutral floors), but Michigan has also won plenty of road games. Look at the 2013-14 season where U-M won at Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Ohio State, Purdue and Illinois.

2012-13 they beat Pitt and KSU (top 25 teams per KenPom) at the Garden.and won at Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern and Purdue. They also happened to beat Kansas (8th), Florida (2nd) and Syracuse (10th) in the NCAA tourney.

You can look back at the game against Memphis in Maui or the UCLA game at the Garden that got Beilein started. There are plenty examples of road wins and upsets. Not really sure where you’re coming from.

7 Likes

Not sure we should dignify thoughtless rants like this by responding.

2 Likes

Did you forget about Dylan requesting we lay off the personal attacks?

and I’m sure Ohio St. fans are stoked to by 6-5 right now.

1 Like

Don’t bring facts to a troll fight.

They did what every team should do against Kentucky every year. For as well as Kentucky recruits, they sure haven’t had many consistent shooters since Cal has been there. Pack it in and make them hit jumpshots.

I’m just messing with you hail. I’ve been admittedly wrong about Texas who appear to be a solid team that will win a lot of games this year. Beating them should help our case to get into the tournament.

Murray hit 7 threes and is probably one of the best volume shooters in college basketball. Ulis is a very capable shooter but admittedly has been cool recently. Booker was an elite shooter. A couple of their bench players are great shooters. I think the issue w Kentucky is less about the lack of good shooters and more with Calipari’s insistence on driving the ball inside. He hates “settling” for jumpers, especially early in the game, regardless of who’s shooting – in this respect, he is the anti-Beilein.

Although he’s taking a bunch of flak for the way he said it – and at the risk of taking even more flak for semi-defending him – I think MChem may have somewhat valid underlying point here. While Michigan does have a few really good wins recently (perhaps none bigger than when they walloped Florida under a barrage of Stauskas threes), every game preview when they face a big, post-heavy athletic juggernaut asserts that they will have to shoot the lights out to have any chance of competing. Unlike OSU, they will never beat an elite team by getting regular defensive stops, finishing strong inside, and controlling the boards. It would be nice to be able to out-muscle an elite physical team for once, and come away with a win even when the shooting is a bit cool. Luckily we’ll have plenty of chances in the upcoming conference season!

1 Like

Did they really win because they outmuscled Kentucky? Or was it some very hot perimeter shooting by osu and Kentucky taking a ton of terrible, out of control shots early in the shot clock? Osu played a great game and I don’t want to take anything away from them. But after watching most of that game, I don’t think you can say they won because they were simply more physical.

To be fair, Kentucky was shooting 27% going into yesterday’s game.

OSU did not dominate them, especially in the second half. And Kentucky is not nearly as good (yet) as they have been in recent years. Still, it was a big win for OSU.

UM may not “out muscle” other teams, but then again, how many teams are as likely to “out shoot” other teams like UM can? Different strokes for different folks.

Exactly. The key words consistent and abundance were obviously overlooked. I would let Murray jack jumpers all day. He isn’t going to make enough of them on his own.

Do you think if Michigan played Kentucky 10 times, would they win once? Heck, 20 times?

The ceiling is low this year IMO.

I think if you picked any two Kenpom top 50 teams and put them against each other 10 times, I would always have confidence that the “worse” team would win one game. That’s just the nature of basketball (particularly college basketball in 2015).

Further, I bet if you take a look at any 10 game stretch under Beilein over the last several years, you will probably find the team shot ~50% from long range on a good amount of attempts at least one of those games. If you play like that you can beat anyone.

We aren’t talking about Golden State. Kentucky has lost to 8-4 UCLA and 6-5 OSU. This isn’t the team that went 38-1 last year. Hell, give us one shot at Crisler and I like our chances. It’s not that I think we are particularly good, but Beilein has shown he can compete with anyone at home.

1 Like

You’re trying to reason with a guy that believes Louisiana Tech is better than Michigan. Don’t waste your time.

Before yesterday, would you have picked OSU to beat Kentucky at least once in ten tries? I don’t think many would have. It’s a single game. Shit happens.

I do not think Michigan is good. I think they are painfully average. Sorry. I think Michigan and La Tech are about on the same level. I think there will be a lot of disappointed Michigan fans this year once the big ten season starts.

I’m still going to root for them. I’ll still be mad when they lose. I’m just not impressed with this roster paired with JB’s philosophy.

Honest question would OSU have a better resume now? Yes they have those 2 bad losses but the win over Kentucky, Texas Arlington doesn’t seem to be playing bad basketball. With IU’s win over ND would IU have a better resume than Michigan?

Cool opinion. Objective resources disagree with you that LaTech is better than or on the same level as Michigan.

Kenpom: Michigan 33, LaTech 114
Sagarin: Michigan 29, LaTech 101
BPI: Michigan 59, LaTech 98