Beilein needs to recruit like Matta, they said

Indiana would. Ohio St. wouldn’t.

Those ratings will look drastically different soon IMO. It’s going to be long big ten season.

Stop moving the goalposts.

Do you agree with my answer?

La tech better then Michigan? I can see not being happy with the team but they would pound la tech.

Than* my fault

Ok I’ve read this thread long enough and now have to respond.

First some of you use Kenpom like a child uses “My dad says” and I understand because a lot of people on here think stats drive everything in sports. While others, like myself, think stats are a useful tool but only a tool used to get better. Not something to base every decision on.

Second no Latech is not better than Michigan. Let me do a hand stand Michigan is better

Here is my issue with Michigan basketball it’s become an average program. Had a chance to cement Michigan as a good to great program after the NC game and elite 8 and it didn’t happen. i hold Michigan basketball to a high standard. I think it’s unacceptable at this point in a coaches career to miss a Tournament appearance. To compare Bo Ryan made 14 of 15 tournaments in his tenure at Michigan. And some of you can throw the early departure argument out there but if Coach B was recruiting at a top level the early departures wouldn’t of matter.

So let’s touch on recruiting. Now some of you will never be convinced that there are average players on Michigan’s roster. Guys who I can’t believe are in a Michigan uniform: MAAR, Chatman, Donnal, Dawkins, and Wilson. Like it or not this cast of characters belong in the MAC at best. The next group of Doyle and Robinson are fringe B1G players. I know how dare I insult the great Duncan Robinson. Kid can flat out shoot it. For as good as he is at shooting he is equally as bad on defense. That leaves Walton Irvin Levert as legit B1G players. That recruiting class was a long time ago.

A lot of you like to use the argument that there is more than one way to skin a cat when dealing with Coach B and his methods. People love to talk that Michigan needs to shoot well to win. That’s my biggest issue right now this team is not a good shooting team. A couple guys are good the rest are not only wildly inconsistent they are downright bad. Take Dawkins for example. I don’t care if he came on at the end of last year. After your release if your arms look like a T Rex I’m sorry you can’t be considered a good shooter.

Look at what is coming in. Start with the two big kids. Teske has so far to go to be a B1G player. For as far as Teske has Davis has even further. Two guys who have extreme trouble getting up and down the court. IMO two more guys who might not even be fringe B1G players. I like Simpson. I think they took the right PG. I think State fans will be disappointed in Winston. Watson is a wild card. Would love to watch him live. On film he looks slow. Now issue with film is everyone looks slow but I worry how his game will translate. Great thing is is he is a worker. Poole is the guy I love. Perfect fit for Coach B and really feel he has pro potential.

I firmly believe that Michigan will be going into the B1G tournament fighting to try and get into the dance. It might happen and might not. Like I said earlier some of you might be happy with this. I am not.

3 Likes

I agree with everything that you said. I am only going to give a pass in my mind to MAAR and Dawkins, although it only goes so far. Beilein took a chance on two athletic kids at the end of a recruiting period to round out the roster. They both could have easily turned out to be Levert type developments. I am ok with that type of gamble when we should already have the thoroughbreds in the stable. We just cant build a team around the off chance that they develop like Levert. The rest of the recruiting process needs to be based on the players who are clearly B10 level talent and ability and not just players who are “beating down the door to go to Michigan.” I truly love Beilein’s ethics, but need him to get some more horses to be able to compete

2 Likes

Nswan I have to disagree with your take on MAAR and Dawkins. I would agree if Michigan had a lights out class that year taking a chance on both. Similar to what happen with Levert and Spike. I had no issue taking those two with the class that was already in the bag.

prattd I completely agree with you. I was more hypothetically giving them a pass. I dont mind those pickups, as you and I seem to agree, if the class is already solid. You and I both also agree that Chatman, Doyle & Wilson do not equal solid. MAAR and Dawkins are the types of players that are good to round out a class and hope to add stability in their 3rd and 4th years

More imporantly, when did Bo Ryan coach at Michigan?! :grinning: