Beilein needs to recruit like Matta, they said

So 13 games is more important than 10 years of amazing success? Marta’s record at OSU is. 303–98 (.756). In his time there they have: 2 NCAA Regional Championships – Final Four (2007, 2012)
4 Big Ten Tournament Championship (2007, 2010, 2011, 2013)
5 Big Ten Regular Season Championship (2006, 2007, 2010, 2011, 2012)

JB could only dream of a record like that. So yea he should start recruiting like Matta unless of course you still think 13 games
Trumps all of the above.

1 Like

Checkmate.

In 8 years, John Beilein has only 3 winning records in conference play. It’ll be a struggle to make it 4 this year.

JB had a great 2 year run at Michigan. He practically rebuilt the program. He’s also on the verge of sinking it with his current recruiting efforts.

There have been far too many resources dumped into the basketball program to get thumped like we have been the past 2 years. JB has reset expectations for the program. That doesn’t mean he gets a pass for not meeting those expectations.

I think it’s fair to be critical of JB. I think it’s fair to defend him. We are going to get a lot of answers in the coming months.

1 Like

I think the point was, OSU has supposedly out recruited UM, but isn’t doing any better than us. Actually, the same could be said about IU.

It’s interesting the goal posts seem to move. With some poor play the last 1.5 years by Michigan supporters of Beilein want to point to the prior 2 years with a lot of success. Some people want to look at Matta and his struggles this year but ignore his track record. One thing is for sure all these teams in that 2nd tier Wisconsin/Indiana/Iowa/Michigan/Indiana you can even throw OSU in that mix if you want. All those fans are disappointed to some extent with the way their teams have played but all those fans look at games against these opponents as winnable games because none of the teams have clearly separated themselves.

Some folks like to talk about Beilein’s “two-year” run, but the year before that he went 13-5 in the B1G and shared a conference title (though of course they got upset in the tourney that year, the one time ever JB under-performed seed expectations in the tournament). And we may get some answers on JB over the next few months, but we’ll certainly get more over the next few years, because he’s not going anywhere. I’m in the camp that last year will be seen as the aberration once he got the program going. We’ll see. I also think that even good JB teams can get blown out occasionally – they got hammered in East Lansing the year they went to the Finals and blown out by Iowa the year after that. Sometimes the threes don’t fall and the team gets pushed around or out-hustled and the wheels fall off. Those teams were pretty darn good though. This team isn’t there, but I could see them racking up quite a few victories even with a couple more blowout losses too.

As for Matta, he’s done really well in the B1G for a number of years and did pretty well at Xavier and Butler before that. OSU seems down this year and they weren’t great last year, but it’s hard to argue he’s anything but a very successful college coach.

Yes, I’ve been a strong Beilein supporter but to imply that Matta is a failure because his OSU team so far this year has played badly is ludicrous. Heck, I’ve admired a lot of his teams even as everything about MSU continued to drive me crazy.

1 Like

Sinking the program? That’s quite hyperbolic. Sinking the program would be finishing down at the bottom with Rutgers and Penn St. That’s sinking the program. If JB walked away tomorrow, the next coach would inherit a pretty solid program. And his recruiting class for 2016 is actually fairly solid. Simpson and Teske are players that most coaches would be pretty happy with. Even Watson looks like he’s improving rapidly. And Poole in 17 is a very good get. You just like hot takes I guess.

One Thad Matta recruit out

Interesting development for a guy that buckeye fans hoped would be Diebler Part Deux. I assume we’re not looking at him. He’s just a shooter, and I don’t mean that in some “wink-wink nudge-nudge Nik Stauskas” way. He is literally just a shooter.

Maybe he will go closer to home (which I recall is somewhere in Texas).

Heading over to 11 Warriors right now, hoping to find a meltdown.

That was quick.

Weird. I live in Toledo and turned on the sports station here and they had Thad Matta on for his weekly show and he was talking about Grandstaff quite a bit.

Hail, keep your head up. One of these days you’ll get a correct take on something basketball related.

Ohio State with arguably the best win of the year by a big ten team so far.

1 Like

Today epitomizes what I hate most about Beilein coached teams. Unranked OSU goes into Kentucky and wins. Unranked Utah goes into Duke and wins. Butler goes on the road and beats unbeaten Purdue. Beilien’s teams NEVER win games like that. Ever. They never pull big upsets, especially not on the road. They never play over their head and beat anyone they really aren’t supposed to.

2 Likes

Beilein’s first marquee win in the program was against #4 UCLA with a much less talented team than this one. Neutral court.

1 Like

I watched the UK-OSU game and my main takeaway is that even though OSU is extremely young and offensively inconsistent, they will probably kill us on the boards. In terms of individual players, Bates-Diop and Loving look improved, their bigs are tough, and their tiny freshman PG Harris is lightning quick – Ulis and Murray had a really hard time staying in front of him. Apparently they also finally cleared Mickey Mitchell to play but I don’t recall seeing him in the game. Kentucky may be overrated (although they handled Duke easily) but I didn’t expect OSU to dominate them as they did today. A good win for the Big Ten but also a sign that OSU will be a really tough game for UM in Columbus. I would feel more optimistic about winning in Madison.

1 Like

I feel like you haven’t watched Michigan basketball except for this year. Beilein teams have pulled many upsets, several on the road or neutral site.

Umm Ohio State/Kentucky was played in New York.
Utah/Duke was also played in New York.
Butler/Purdue was played in Indianapolis.

As Dylan recently pointed out, they’ve only won 3 true non-conference road games under JB and one of those was at Bradley. That said, they don’t get many opportunities.

Looking ahead, I’d really like to see UM take out either Maryland or Purdue (or both) on the road this year – we’re overdue for a big win of that nature. If we can beat the dregs of the Horizon League by 60, surely we can eek out a close win against one of those teams… right?

2 Likes

This post epitomizes what I hate most about people posting on a whim. They never seem to get the facts right. Ever. They NEVER seem to know what they’re talking about.

In JB’s second year, we had two upsets over top 5 teams in UCLA and Duke. We also beat a top 20 Purdue team. We also were widely predicted to get run out of the gym by Clemson and we beat them. Beat top 15 OSU and Uconn in a season where finished sub .500, so we definitely weren’t supposed to win those ones. Also beat ranked MSU in 2011 after a six game losing streak. Beat top 10 Memphis in the Maui Classic. Beat top 10 OSU and MSU that same season. Also beat top 5 MSU at the Breslin when were ranked outside the top 20 two seasons ago.

I think you should also remember a certain game against 1 seeded Kansas in the NCAA Tournament a few years back. We may have been a very good team, but that was a game that 99% of the country picked us to lose (the remaining 1% being homer Michigan fans).

4 Likes

Probably not. This team is going to struggle against anybody decent this year. Doyle and Dawkins have been huge disappointments this year. Our frontcourt play is even worse than the mediocre that was expected. Unless we’re shooting 50% or more on threes, we’re not even going to get close to teams like MSU, Maryland, Indiana and Purdue.