Austin Davis Commits to Michigan

Man…just thinking of how high our recruiting expectations were after the 2013 game. In 2 short years, we, as a fanbase, have essentially went from expecting to be an elite team nearly every year to now accepting mediocrity for the foreseeable future…sad.

Some of you might start to see what a guy like Matt has been harping on.

And if you noticed Maryland is steadily building a power again. We are falling way behind

Everyone keeps dwelling on the past and thinks everything will be okay going forward. All signs are pointing to a mediocre roster in 2016-2017. Mediocre being generous.

I’m as confused right now as everyone, though I think there’s another shoe to drop that will make this one make more sense (though I’d still have the “why now?” question that JBlair articulated), but that said, I’ll carry the flag for a moment…

2016-17
A sr Walton, a sr Irvin, a version of Robinson that was one of the top 3 players on the team last year, a more advanced version of the Dawkins that we saw at the end of the year, a top 20-40 player in Wagner, a Doyle with an extra year of experience, etc etc, I think the team would be fine.

And let’s say Irvin blows up and leaves, then that scholarship is open for the Langfords, Battles of the world.

It’s the year after that I’m worried about. I think everyone thought that the 2016 class was absolutely crucial (including me). But I actually think, given Dawkins and MAAR showing more than everyone expected, that we can bridge that year. It’s the 2017 class that becomes do or die. Granted, I have less confidence given the track we’re on for 2016, but it’s still possible to survive as a top level team and get our elite PG and wing(s) there.

Everyone keeps dwelling on the past and thinks everything will be okay going forward. All signs are pointing to a mediocre roster in 2016-2017. Mediocre being generous.

I’m as confused right now as everyone, though I think there’s another shoe to drop that will make this one make more sense (though I’d still have the “why now?” question that JBlair articulated), but that said, I’ll carry the flag for a moment…

2016-17
A sr Walton, a sr Irvin, a version of Robinson that was one of the top 3 players on the team last year, a more advanced version of the Dawkins that we saw at the end of the year, a top 20-40 player in Wagner, a Doyle with an extra year of experience, etc etc, I think the team would be fine.

And let’s say Irvin blows up and leaves, then that scholarship is open for the Langfords, Battles of the world.

It’s the year after that I’m worried about. I think everyone thought that the 2016 class was absolutely crucial (including me). But I actually think, given Dawkins and MAAR showing more than everyone expected, that we can bridge that year. It’s the 2017 class that becomes do or die. Granted, I have less confidence given the track we’re on for 2016, but it’s still possible to survive as a top level team and get our elite PG and wing(s) there.

The issue with that 2016-17 team is that Walton is the only player capable of dribbling.

Man......just thinking of how high our recruiting expectations were after the 2013 game. In 2 short years, we, as a fanbase, have essentially went from expecting to be an elite team nearly every year to now accepting mediocrity for the foreseeable future..........sad.

I don’t see anyone “accepting” this. We all have questions and concerns.

That said, I’d bet a lot we’ll be better than mediocre. I just don’t know if we’ll be elite and I think that’s the part we all want to experience again.

Not a positive outlook on recruiting with this commitment but to plays devils advocate a bit. Let say one or more of the following happens:

1.) we have a transfer (let’s say Donnal as I think we might all agree he is the most likely.

2.) staff decides to move Hatch to a medical.

3.) Wagner can’t come over.

Any of those happen and we can still pick up one of our guard targets (a Winston, Langford, Ramsey type)

Than how do we feel about the Davis commitment from a potential standpoint?

The issue with that 2016-17 team is that Walton is the only player capable of dribbling.

Well, Spike may redshirt and be there. And MAAR will be fine by then.

But…definitely head scratching. At least we can be confident that JB and LaVall will coach up the guys we’ve got.

I don’t get it. I’m usually a very optimistic, glass half full kind of guy but I just can’t wrap my head around this one. It seems to go completely against the philosophy and style of play that Beilein has made a career on. College basketball is predicated on good guard play and we just do not have enough guards. If we continue to run a system with 1 big then 1/4 of the roster won’t contribute at all. If we start to run a system with two bigs, it is going away from the style Beilein is comfortable with and had success with and essentially going away from the current trend in basketball. Even the NBA is mostly going to more versatile 4s.

There aren’t many circumstances where this makes sense. Even if Teske leaves, which would suck because he shows a lot more promise than Davis, the timing of this offer makes absolutely no sense.

Man......just thinking of how high our recruiting expectations were after the 2013 game. In 2 short years, we, as a fanbase, have essentially went from expecting to be an elite team nearly every year to now accepting mediocrity for the foreseeable future..........sad.

I don’t see anyone “accepting” this. We all have questions and concerns.

That said, I’d bet a lot we’ll be better than mediocre. I just don’t know if we’ll be elite and I think that’s the part we all want to experience again.

Simply can’t be an upper tier B10 team from a pure talent and athleticism standpoint with our current roster starting in 16-17. Just far too slow and vertically challenged. Really lack guys that you can just give the ball, get out of the way, and get a bucket in a late game situation. We will have a team composed of role players. It’s time we start being honest with ourselves. Development can only go so far, at a certain point you need players that can just flat out play irrelevant of coaching/system.

Really lack guys that you can just give the ball, get out of the way, and get a bucket in a late game situation. We will have a team composed of role players. It's time we start being honest with ourselves. Development can only go so far, at a certain point you need players that can just flat out play irrelevant of coaching/system.

I really do think Walton and Irvin are those guys. No disagreement that we need more starting in 2017 (or, we need those guys to replace a scholarship that Walton or Irvin leave early hypothetically).

Discouraging. Although being honest, we weren’t going to get anybody worth a salt in 2016 anyways. The lack of recruiting success is head scratching to say the least.

Really bummed right now…it truly is perplexing that JB can’t recruit at just an average/slightly above average clip. I feel like if he could just pull in kids that maybe aren’t elite, but perhaps at a mid tier/upper middle tier like Eric Davis/Jaylen Johnson level that we could be competing for S16s every damn year.

Really lack guys that you can just give the ball, get out of the way, and get a bucket in a late game situation. We will have a team composed of role players. It's time we start being honest with ourselves. Development can only go so far, at a certain point you need players that can just flat out play irrelevant of coaching/system.

I really do think Walton and Irvin are those guys. No disagreement that we need more starting in 2017 (or, we need those guys to replace a scholarship that Walton or Irvin leave early hypothetically).

Really hard time seeing that considering neither of those guys can finish at the rim. I think Walton has more ability in that regard because at least he draws fouls at a reasonable rate.

Guys, let’s just accept that Beilein is making a small transition from the 4 guard lineups to the 4 big men lineup! YAY FOR SIZE?

Some of you might start to see what a guy like Matt has been harping on.

And if you noticed Maryland is steadily building a power again. We are falling way behind

Let’s be honest, I don’t think anyone saw THIS happening…this is a whole new level of worry.

I don’t get it. I’ll wait to freak out until I see how things shake out over the next several weeks–if we find out, for example, that there’s attrition coming at the 5, that Wagner is going to have a problem qualifying, that Teske’s commitment isn’t solid, etc.–this might make more sense from a roster building perspective, but even then, with the concomitant assumption that we’ll have room for guard additions, it seems a reach based on his film. Apparently, he played quite well in AAU ball last weekend, but I’m going to have to see a lot more of that.

Something’s coming. I don’t know what, but the idea that Beilein, a coach who has always been a perimeter oriented coach, is suddenly going to saddle himself with a roster of guys who only play inside doesn’t add up.

If Teske’s commitment isn’t solid, wouldn’t the worst possible thing to do be to add another recruit at his position? Even if Donnal or somebody else is transfering, we have more than enough bigs and that would have opened a MUCH needed scholarship.

Take Davis instate and don’t offer Jaylen Johnson, EC Matthews or Vince Hunter. Eric Davis was offered but never seemed like Beilein really recruited him that hard.

Updated scholarship chart here http://www.umhoops.com/recruiting/scholarship-breakdown/

Seems like something has gotta give. That’s just so many big men for a team that really only plays one.

A program of Michigan’s stature with the recent success should not be recruiting like um has 2014-2016. Beilein just in’t a good recruiter. Put izzo here and he lands at a minimum 3 mcdonalds all americans between the 2014, 2015, and 2016 classes. Lets hope Beilein has something up his sleeves, because i am seeing Gary Williams at Maryland post 2002 all over again.