Assistant Coaching Staff Rumors & Discussion

Villanova recruits plenty well, I’m not sure their huge number of 3-4 year players is due to lowered sights:

Phill Booth, 84
Jalen Brunson, 19
Mikal Bridges, 96
Omari Spellman, 17
Josh Hart, 94
Kris Jenkins, 78
Ryan Arcidiacono, 55
Daniel Ochefu, 44
JayVaughn Pinkston, 46
James Bell, 65
Scottie Reynolds, 37
Corrie Fischer, 21
Randy Foye, 56
Alan Raye, 39
Kyle Lowry, 29
Mike Nardi, 45

There are lots of other top 50 guys that didn’t perform

That’s a pretty serious group

2 Likes

They don’t care as long as there is no negative press. The administration and regent of UM is patently different from those of Michigan State, Penn State, and Ohio State.

I am not ready–nor will I be. But I’m all in on paying college athletes legally.

3 Likes

Fair assessment

1 Like

Remember, we are for the CULTURE!

The regents seem to take a lot more interest in the revenue sports than the administration does.

yes, I do not disagree.

Yost it’s not about annual profits or deficits of a few million. They look at UNC’s accreditation being threatened and the FBI wiretaps and they say, “sports isn’t worth the risk it poses to our University and it’s $10+ Billion endowment”

My thoughts as this Friday evening closes…

#1) Priority #1, #2, #3#99 needs to be getting Mike Miller. He’s the single best recruiting assistant in the country right now; and so far as I can tell… he’s doing it legally. He’s just flat-out got invaluable and numerous relationships — with players and coaches — on the AAU circuit. He had a great NBA career. The kids all love him. The coaches all love him. And he had no pre-existing relationship with Penny Hardaway. Conversely, he won two NBA championships with Juwan. And it seems anyone who’s ever spent any time period Juwan would take a bullet for him. Make him the highest paid assistant in college basketball. And give his very qualified brother a job as an assistant as well if that’s what it takes. He’s a great recruiter and was an assistant of Calipari’s Memphis squads.

#2) Tim Hardaway Sr. and/or Howard Eisley. Juwan’s a big man and defensive coach. These two are guard and offensive coaches. Nice compliments. Both had long NBA careers (one a Hall of Fame career). Both have been long time NBA assistants. Natives of Chicago and Detroit, respectively. Hardaway may resonate with recruits more, and he’d be my #1 choice. But Eisley certainly would be a great hire as well.

#3) Lots of options here. Eisley, if Hardaway too comes on board. Miller’s brother. Yaklich. The UW-Milwaukee HC / Father of 2021 #1 recruit — Pat Baldwin. Whoever Ypsi-Lincoln’s HC is in 2 yrs if the 1-and-done rule doesn’t change (Emoni Bates).

This could be a dangerous, dangerous staff…

1 Like

I truly do not understand your rant. Is the purpose for the article making you a happy boy? If you don’t care about an article with specific criteria then actually don’t give a damn. I enjoy reading most of these articles on this site, and this site is one of the most informative. I also don’t take it personally knowing the article was written for all subscribers, as long as it’s not purposely misleading. UMHOOPS information sometimes is so detailed it’s more than I need to know as a fan. By all means please keep up the GOOD work UMHOOPS! Let me know anything you suspect with or without sources and purely speculation, if you feel strongly about it. I’ve leaned to trust your judgement on your articles using your wording. When I don’t, I’ll stop my subscription. Go Blue!

Meaning what? Paying players?

I think you missed his point. There are those in administration that don’t like the athletics department. The fact that it’s self funded makes it too independent for their taste and allows it to grow unhindered. That’s a bad thing if you think it’s already too big or if you dislike how they spend their money. For some, it’s not just bad news coming from their AD that they hate, it’s how much attention they get, how much effect they have on the public perception of the school.

Those sentiments don’t just exist at Michigan. I would expect a correlation to a school’s academic reputation.

1 Like

Has there been any mention of the process/timeline for interviews?

According to an insider at one site Saddi is the one to expect to return.

2 Likes

Disappointing if true. How do you let someone get away who’s had Michigan in the top three in adjusted defensive efficiency both years here—the same Michigan that had never had an elite defense under John Beilein previously—and a good recruiter who relates so well with all the kids, as well as being a high-character, energetic guy.

This doesn’t reflect well on Howard’s judgment, in my opinion.

I’m glad Sanderson is returning and pleased that Bajema remains committed, but keeping Yaklich should have been the most important thing on Howard’s checklist in my view.

None of what I’m saying is intended as a knock on Washington. Ideally, I was hoping both lead assistants would return, and that Howard would bring in his own guy to fill the third spot, but if he’s bringing back only one Beilein assistant, it makes no sense to me that it’s not Yaklich.

I also think any hope of Jalen Wilson coming back into the fold is gone with no Luke.

Because JH might feel Yak’s strengths (defense, recruiting, Chicago ties) are redundant with his own. Saddi makes a lot of sense to prioritize, you need someone connected in Michigan

6 Likes

Maybe Yak doesn’t want to? There’s a lot more at play. These are people after all. Another report from the texas site said we gave him an offer.

9 Likes

Wilson is likely gone no matter what. Frank is more realistic in my opinion.

Yeah, the report from the Texas site is that we offered more than 40% higher than Texas ($350 k vs $500 k). If Yak doesn’t take that, it’s not Juwan’s fault.

I saw a second hand report that Rivals thinks they’re still negotiating with Yak. Maybe he wants more flexibility to move after his kid finishes high school, or a clearly defined opt out to take a head coaching job. I hope that Juwan can retain both Yak and Saddi, because that’s more likely to give us a smooth transition, but it’s not the end of the world if Yak decides to move on.

3 Likes

If Yak and Saddi stay, that doesn’t leave much room for the assistant with head coaching experience everyone wants. Unless we look to get one in an advisory role.