Assistant Coaching Staff Rumors & Discussion

The Ryan Miller at TCU is an assistant coach (associate HC I believe, but top assistant). He’s Mike Miller’s (the one at Memphis who played in Miami with Juwan, not the G League HC) brother. Assume that is who the tweeter is talking about.

1 Like

Did not realize Ryan Miller was an AHC at TCU. Would love to bring the Miller bros.

Change the wording to “our” short list, and I’m a happy boy.

If he pulled Mike Miller from Memphis right now I would be ecstatic

I don’t understand how this would be a possibility.Penny just began in Memphis.

1 Like

As much as Miller would seem to be a good fit for Juwan’s staff, I’m with you…seems like a tough ask to lure him away from Memphis.

He’s well respected on that staff. By all accounts he and Penny get along. He knows Memphis from his time as a player with the Grizzlies. Tennessee has no state income tax. Memphis has the No1 recruiting class and a legitimate path to a No1 or No2 seed in the NCAA tournament this coming season.

Agreed, if true like Juwan is aiming high. Factors being how tight Juwan and Miller are since they played together, money and perhaps chance to coach with brother. Got to think it is a longshot.

Reading articles from when he was hired on on Memphis i think he loves the area too. I don’t know what his title is but we’d probably have to gove him some more duties.

No one here is concerned with how they are getting those recruits?

4 Likes

If NBA execs are really talking about it, he’s probably going to get a bump like Ed Cooley. That’s the way to do it, without publicly flirting with another job.

I can’t speak for everyone else here, but me personally? No. The NCAA is full of shit and it’s tiring to handicap ourselves. Beilein was awesome and I respect him even more for staying true to his moral values and still achieving the success that he did, but I’m ready to move into the current landscape of the NCAA.

3 Likes

I’d like to see how this summer plays out first before jumping back into the Perry Watson/Ed Martin end of the recruiting pool

3 Likes

Yeah this is fair. I guess I just mean I have no ‘moral issue’ with that area. I’d probably prefer not doing it because I think Howard will be able to do quite well without it, but if people behind the scenes are getting some handshakes in there I’m not gonna complain. It’d be hard to look too dirty next to my other team.

I’d settle for Nova level recruiting. It’s proven to produce more wins.

3 Likes

Fair enough

I would too. I guess the thing we’ll find out soon enough is whether the X’s and O’s are good enough to compete with that.

Agreed 100%, and I think most of the masses would agree. Unfortunately, the powers that be at Michigan (above Warde) run in circles that look down on revenue-positive athletics. Just look at the way they allowed our football coach to be walked over by the Big Ten officials for 2 years - can you imagine what OSU would do if that happened to their coach? It makes what JB accomplished all that more impressive.

I don’t think it’s sustainable, you can either try to be Stanford or you can try to be Alabama, you can’t be this weird hybrid of the two that Michigan wants to be. Folks aren’t going to continue to pay the PSDs to watch us get our asses kicked in football for another 20 years, especially if basketball can’t cover for it

I believe that statement to be patently false. The Athletic Department is self funded and runs revenue-positive from its own finances without help from the academic side of the University. I don’t have any reason to believe the University Board of Regents has an issue with that.

Yeah but the way the athletic department presents itself externally and any negative press it receives comes back on the school. How do these Ivory tower folks look their Stanford, Carnegie Mellon, Northwestern, Cornell, etc. colleagues in the eye when they’re associated with gasp a football school.

My old grad school advisor is one of these folks, just my subjective opinion from taking with him and his colleagues

2 Likes

This release seems to indicate that the Athletic Department does turn a profit, at least in a few of the recent years.

This seems to indicate we spend at a level well above average for PowerConference schools. It just might not be in the areas some would like?