Adidas Nations Rosters

Zak will certainly be more of a threat in transition. You can watch the 2nd MSU game to see the difference in end to end speed between Zak and Stauskas. LeVert will be primary transition guy if adding points and assist, mainly because he will grab more rebounds.

A few weeks ago when I subtly suggested that Irvin wasn't really a well rounded player, and was vastly overrated out of HS a few people took exception. Reading between the lines of Dylan's latest piece on Irvin in addition to this tweet, I think people should really lower their expectations for Irvin.............in all honestly the kid is really a good shooter, but he is very challenged in terms of creating offense for 2 reasons - a very weak handle and he is very challenged in terms of lateral movement. Hopefully Sanderson has improved the movement, but I have severe doubts about the former.

Irvin is a nice third option on this team, especially when you have Levert and Walton creating penetration and commanding a double, which allows Irvin to catch and shoot, or take 2 dribbles after a shot fake and take his patented pull-up. That being said, I’m not looking forward to the day that Caris leaves and Irvin has to take on the role of a primary ballhandler…he’s much worse than THJ was (at the same time of development) in that regard in my opinion.

Agree. At this stage Irvin is a one trick pony who is a terrible perimeter defender! I know everyone is predicting he will get “better” defensively but I don’t see the physical tools for such a predicted leap. He may eventually declare early, but he is a DEFINATELY a 4 year player IMO. He has a long way to go to change that for me.

Better defender than Stauskas.

I have to be honest, I actually think Walton has the ability to average 5 rebs per game, which may or may not be more than Caris (although Caris is a decent rebounder as well), Walton may be the best rebounder under 6ft in the country this year. Zak is certainly faster than Nik in terms of vertical speed, but that isn’t saying much. Walton is by far the fastest straight line player on the team both with and without the ball. Zak will be more of a transition threat simply because of increased minutes alone. 2 things lead me to believe Zak won’t be a huge benefactor in transition though…he’s a very poor rebounder which means he’s not going coast to coast, and he’s not a great finisher. In addition to that, we’re not a transition heavy team, we play a very slow pace.

A few weeks ago when I subtly suggested that Irvin wasn't really a well rounded player, and was vastly overrated out of HS a few people took exception. Reading between the lines of Dylan's latest piece on Irvin in addition to this tweet, I think people should really lower their expectations for Irvin.............in all honestly the kid is really a good shooter, but he is very challenged in terms of creating offense for 2 reasons - a very weak handle and he is very challenged in terms of lateral movement. Hopefully Sanderson has improved the movement, but I have severe doubts about the former.

Irvin is a nice third option on this team, especially when you have Levert and Walton creating penetration and commanding a double, which allows Irvin to catch and shoot, or take 2 dribbles after a shot fake and take his patented pull-up. That being said, I’m not looking forward to the day that Caris leaves and Irvin has to take on the role of a primary ballhandler…he’s much worse than THJ was (at the same time of development) in that regard in my opinion.

Agree. At this stage Irvin is a one trick pony who is a terrible perimeter defender! I know everyone is predicting he will get “better” defensively but I don’t see the physical tools for such a predicted leap. He may eventually declare early, but he is a DEFINATELY a 4 year player IMO. He has a long way to go to change that for me.

Nick was never advertised as a defender like Zak was coming out of HS. I have no confidence in him making any significant impact on D. Is he better than Nik? Wouldn’t take much to accomplish that. His game has got a lot of holes, and once identified as a primary option by opposing defenses he is going to have to improve his handle immensely to be any sort of a dependable threat.

Nick was never advertised as a defender like Zak was coming out of HS. I have no confidence in him making any significant impact on D. Is he better than Nik? Wouldn’t take much to accomplish that. His game has got a lot of holes, and once identified as a primary option by opposing defenses he is going to have to improve his handle immensely to be any sort of a dependable threat.

Zak won’t get bodied up nor be late on close-outs which will be significant impact. He is a few years away from being a primary option so need to worry over that.

Zak won’t get bodied up nor be late on close-outs which will be significant impact.

I’ll believe it when I see it. Even with our system I think he is candidate to have 2 quick fouls with his lack of lateral movement. And we all know what two quick fouls mean. Nik knew his importance to the team, and really never even tried to hide that he wasn’t good on D. He was just imitating “Casper” and waiting to go on offense.

lol okay

8:40 if you want to put context to your statement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwWFgomoRy0

lol okay

8:40 if you want to put context to how silly your statement is…

Opinion.

I think Zak will be right around 13 a game this year.

He’ll get open looks, IMO, because teams will still have to account for Walton and Caris, and I think Walton is going to be really good this year.

Zak doesn’t quite have Nik’s quick release, but he does get way more elevation on his threes with a much higher release point, so I think he’ll be able to get his shot off with a man in his face.

I generally expect him to be able to replace Glenn’s offense, though of course he’s a very different player from Glenn.

I’m also not sure last year was a big enough sample size to draw any strong conclusions about his game. He wasn’t asked to really do much besides shoot threes off the bench. He doesn’t have anything close to Nik’s handle, but Nik could probably play point guard. I do think Zak is good enough to put it on the floor and pull up from 15 - he showed that some last year.

I do see inconsistency coming, but like last year I see some games where he catches fire from three.

Not even Zak, as bad as he is, would get bodied by Gary Harris, blew by off the dribble by Marc Loving, consistently late on closing out on Denzel Valentine, etc

I see quick guys giving him fits but really, how many teams have 3 on-ball shifty guards getting heavy minutes? Zak should be guarding an average agility, off-ball player most nights. Didn’t really have rotation issues, just got bested by 4s sheer size. Name a team not named UK who has a 3 who can carry 6’6’’ 215 lb Zak Irvin to the rim or post him up?

Irvin still struggling with the handle. Best case scenario for Irvin this year appears to be improved lateral movement and strength, with the occasional mid range J off 1-2 dribbles. Doesn’t matter much this year, we have 2 guys to create this year and should be fine in that regard. However, if we don’t get one of Dozier or Coleman, it could be bad next year if Chatman can’t fill that void.

Much better night for Zak Irvin in catch-and-shoot scenarios. Still struggling putting it on the deck, but hitting shots.

— Scott Phillips (@phillipshoops) August 3, 2014

I am more convinced now that Irvin will play 4 when he and Chatman on floor together.

He definitely got big and strong over the summer, so he may be asked to guard opposing 4s, but Chatman is still a bit longer and may still be a better rebounder.

Irvin is an awful rebounder, and that is not an exaggeration. No way do I want him playing the 4 spot. Rather give the backup 4 time to Dawkins initially, can’t be any worse than Zak on the glass

Don’t think you are giving Irvin enough credit. No - he is not a good rebounder. He is not a 4. That’s is JB fault if he plays there - not his. Ballhandling - I think you will see Much improvement from him this year due to need. He didn’t show it a lot but he can do it. Not great but good enough. But his shot is deadly.

Irvin’s handle is not good enough to be a primary ball handler or create for others. 1-2 dribbles for a pull-up and that’s it

Maybe he could play 4 in offense - 3 on D.
Chataman 3 in offense - 4 on D ?

https://vine.co/v/M9MHDm6iiiv

Among Chatman, Irvin and Dawkins, Chatman probably has the best handle, Zack is the strongest, and Dawkins being the most athletic but rail thin at 190lb. I think that Irvin plays better than Chatman at 4 defensively, and Chatman better at 3 offensively.

Among Chatman, Irvin and Dawkins, Chatman probably has the best handle, Zack is the strongest, and Dawkins being the most athletic but rail thin at 190lb. I think that Irvin plays better than Chatman at 4 defensively, and Chatman better at 3 offensively.

I assumed you weren’t talking about offense since they are basically the same position. Chatman would play the 3.5-right-side and Irvin would play the 3.5-left-side most likely because of their dominant hands. Whoever can handle the ball better (Chatman) will be asked to handle the ball more, whoever can shoot the ball better (Irvin) will be asked to shoot the ball more, etc.