2022 NBA Draft Discussion

You are right he was behind 3 top 30 picks in the front court. Wendell Moore was their super sub taking up all the backup 1-3 minutes as well and he was a late first. Basically the minutes available were maybe 5 at the 3 and then Paolo’s minutes on the bench or minutes he’s at the 5. So 12-20 minutes were available

He played 12 MPG, the minimum, but also essentially DNP’s in the postseason.

I think it all comes down to his health. That likely a reason for all the DNPs at the end of the year, and he was limited in his possible PT. If he’s healthy, I think there’s possible upside that he can give starter level minutes. Not saying it’s likely, but possible. The good news is I don’t think we need him to if he can’t

2 Likes

I think we probably have to take his lack of PT over his career pretty seriously. Duke has been very good over that run so it’s possible he could be a decent B1G starter but more likely he’s somewhat worse than that. If he were better he would’ve played more.

1 Like

I think bench shooter who shoots 35-40% from three and gets up over 100 3PA in 15-20 minutes per game is a step forward from what he’s been.

Chaundee Brown, for example, averaged 8 ppg in 20.6 mpg and was 39-of-93 from 3-point range (shortened season).

3 Likes

Any word on Eli and DJ summer league spots?

3 Likes

Last night felt like a win for college ball. We’ll take it!!!

1 Like

The Roddy pick was weird (no idea who he will guard), but this is pretty endearing:

11 Likes

Johnny Juzang going undrafted surprised me. It seems to me like his game is compatible with the pros. Not athletic enough?

1 Like

This draft was super weird, I feel like years from now a redraft will make the list look very different .

1 Like

I don’t think Juzang has really ever been particularly well-regarded by the NBA (he tried to go pro last year and returned based on feedback).

He makes lots of tough jumpers in college that are probably going to be tougher in the NBA, and doesn’t have the handle, quickness, or strength to get himself good ones.

2 Likes

Considering how the first decade started, quite a feat to roll up on this list towards the end.

6 Likes

This is cool, thanks for sharing. Pretty crazy that M and Gonzaga are the same on this list. Also crazy that MSU is only 21-17 over M when M had basically nada for the first decade.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting graphic. I think I would rather have it showing rolling 5-year totals or something that is a better indication of recent performance rather than capturing so much legacy data.

For example - MSU and UNC both had 9 as of 2007. Michigan wasn’t even on the list in that year. Over the next 15 years (something like 4 generations of players passing through these programs) UNC jumped to 30 (+21), MSU rose to 21 (+12), and Michigan appeared with 17. Kentucky in the same span went from 6 to 36 (+30). Indiana went from 5 to falling off the list.

Some surprises (to me at least) - Syracuse, Texas, FSU, Washington, Maryland. OSU also seems a bit lower than I’d have guessed.

1 Like

Nice to see Michigan make a late jump at the end of the graphic. MSU had a huge headstart and just stagnated since then.

3 Likes

Williams still will be good imo

Never heard of Raphielle Johnson but I will add them to the list of Mocks that actually matter: Woo, Vecenie, Givony, Wass

1 Like

Yes, he does. He’s a steal at that pick. Maybe they know something we don’t about him as a person but I’m not sweating poor shot selection or struggles against grown men who are pros by a 19 year old.

Ty Ty, keels, hardy were all steals at their spots. The first two are locks to be nice pros to me and Hardy’s upside for a 2nd round pick is legit.

Griffin is a steal too. The Hawks got real lucky with that pick. They’re stacked. Atlanta seems to have a lot of guys fall into their laps.

Griffin, Collins, Hunter , Gallinari, Johnson on the wings with Young, Huerter, Cooper ,Bogdan in the back court and Capela , Okongwu up front. Dangerous now with crazy ceiling if they develop the young guys.

14 Likes

@SuperDave41 should be happy about Eli getting a chance with his Pacers.:slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like