2022 NBA Draft Discussion

I think it depends HOW people are dominant too.

Garza shot ok in college but it’s sort of a slingshot, takes forever, and he definitely can’t shoot on the move. It’s probably hard for him to take many jumpers in the NBA as a pop guy (he will get some obviously).

His best asset offensively was just being physically stronger than anyone in college and summer league - he didn’t have that much craft, he just overpowered people. Will that play in the NBA? Probably less than, say, a really crafty guy like Sengun.

1 Like

I only saw the one Det/Hou game, but Sengun looks a ton more suitable for the modern game than advertised.

Seems to me the reason Garza will be a complete nothing in the NBA is he’s the worst defender of all time. Dickinson does not share that problem…

1 Like

He’s going to score, I think. And pass decently.

3 Likes

Caleb at #5

1 Like

Keegan Murray at #22 too… not sure i expected that one

3 Likes

Keegan Murray is legit. Way underutilized last year because they were too busy with Garzaball.

4 Likes

I reaaaaallly like him. Didn’t play a ton but his blocks + steals + scoring was serious. NBA size. Showed some potential as a shooter too. He’s old for his year though. Think that’s a good spot for him this early in the process.

1 Like

The sophomore class in the big ten is elite so many good players. Hunter, Ivey, Curbelo, Keegan, etc. (I know I’m forgetting people)

Hot take- he’s a better all-around player than Garza. Don’t say this to an Iowa fan unless you want to be attacked with ears of corn.

2 Likes

What does this even mean in this context? Obviously Garza is a horrific defender but I’m not sure how you even compare the two. Murray projects to be kind of like a DJ Wilson where he’s the No. 3 or No. 4 option and mostly spaces the floor or hangs out in the dunker spot. Garza was a prolific scorer who generated basically the entire team’s offense.

1 Like

I would rather have Murray on my team than Garza. That’s what I mean.

1 Like

As your best player?

Yes. Even if he’s the #3 or 4 offensive option for them this year he’s still their best player. I would think his usage would tick up quite a bit without Garza around though.

1 Like

The point I’m trying to make is that Garza’s problem is that you basically have to build your team around him and Murray’s problem is that he’s not anywhere near good enough or versatile enough offensively (from what we’ve seen) to build a team around him. That makes it really hard to compare the two.

Murray’s stocks and rebounding numbers are good and make him intriguing for the NBA but I’m not sure what that really looks like on a mediocre to bad team in the Big Ten.

His 3-point shot also never really turned out to be much after a few hot-shooting non-conference games.

2 Likes

Well we’re about to see what a 'Keegan Murray is your best player" team looks like and I’m guessing it will be worse than the last 3 Garza led teams

9 Likes

Not really a fair comparison when they also lost Wieskamp and Fredrick…

3 Likes

That is true, but I also included the 2019 team that had a freshman Wieskamp and no Fredrick. But if Keegan Murray is better than Luka Garza I think that roster should make the tournament, and I don’t think they will

Garza was definitely not their best player as a freshman and they definitely had more talent than they do now. Let’s revisit this in five years when Murray is a solid NBA player and Garza is in Europe :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It was his sophomore year. He and Tyler Cook were pretty close, Cook played a lot more though so probably would have to give him the edge

Overall I’m not sure it’s a great argument that Murray is a better best player than Garza when Murray was like the 4th best player this year. He’ll have to make a massive jump this year to prove that statement right

Doesn’t have much to do with who was the better college player

Now you’re making me defend Garza and I don’t like that!

1 Like