2021 NCAA Tournament Open Thread

I’m very down on the B12 relative to consensus. And I have Michigan losing to FSU so looks like only one of our brackets will do well. I hope it’s yours!

1 Like

Changing my Final Four picks to include Rutgers and Iowa…

4 Likes

Has anyone noticed the very realistic possibility that Baylor could have to play:
Wisconsin
Purdue
Ohio State
Illinois
Michigan / Iowa

Michigan / Iowa is less realistic but the first four is a decent likelihood.
That would hurt my B1G feelings if they mowed through the entire top tier of league.

9 Likes

Scott Drew preparing for that Indiana gig!

5 Likes
1 Like

I was just about to post this tweet. I love Juwan, but sometimes he messes up the rotation. There is no reason Zeb should get any minutes in the tourney and Terrance should get maybe a 4 minute shift.

Again, I think both of these players are going to be great eventually. However, they don’t need their shot this year. Media timeouts are much longer during the tourney. There’s no reason our top 5 should not be playing close to the whole game. Besides Dickinson who should play like 32 minutes

1 Like

I love Juwan too and want him here as long as possible, but he’s not perfect and it sure seems like rotations are at this point proof of that.

2 Likes

Are we ready for the Zeb Jackson experience???

Sounds like a coach saying everything is on the table to not give away anything to the other teams.

18 Likes

Could be that he’s talking to a few specific players on his roster there as well. Complementary messaging to whatever he’s telling them in private. I’m sure there’s lots of talking to BJJ about his lack of confidence right now, and lots of talking to Chaundee about, roughly, the exact opposite thing.

Yeah, hopefully this is intended to boost the confidence of Zeb in case we need him at some point (Terrance certainly doesn’t need a boost in confidence). Otherwise, I’d like to keep the rotation as narrow as we can for the tournament. We need our best players on the court and among these 3 guys, Johns is the best option. I don’t see much need to expand the rotation and have Johns share more minutes with those guys. It should be Chaundee and Johns at the 4. TWill can play situationally. Hopefully Zeb not needed.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Just out of curiosity, what if it turned out that some of the teams had vaccinated their players? Would that be considered some kind of violation?

I don’t think it would be a violation of any sort, maybe a bit of a PR thing. I also think whether someone is vaccinated or not is probably fairly confidential info via HIPPA – or any reasons they might have been prioritized to be vaccinated.

1 Like

In case anyone wanted to add a few more views to their tally

15 Likes

Pure joy. How he pivoted there to make his teammaters keep giving chase – the Poolest of Poole moments.

To answer the question, I was overseas on a work trip at 8am and watching in the breakfast room at the hotel. Internet glitch just before the shot, so I missed it. I checked the score ten minutes later just to confirm the loss. Saw the win and immediately pivoted from having a healthy breakfast to a delightfully unhealthy breakfast. Wore a darker-blue dress shirt that day so I could wear a Michigan shirt under it and not have it show through a white dress shirt.

7 Likes

Just at home. I remember both of those games that weekend were really late at night. The Montana game before had been pretty dull. I was cursing our bad fortune after we’d missed multiple shots near the rim in the final minute while that one Houston guy who was like a 60% shooter kept draining FTs. Then he finally missed and I thought, “Maybe there’s a chance?”

4 Likes

I was watching in the basement with my two dogs (my wife, then fiance, was fast asleep), hunched on the ground, not unlike Chris Collins, before leaping to my feet and running around the room screaming. Scared the absolute sh-t out of my dogs, sending them tearing upstairs to the safety of Mom.

5 Likes

Not me and not yet.

1 Like

I was standing in the far corner of my man-cave, almost afraid to watch. My buddy was standing behind the couch, and his girlfriend was on the stairs with her purse ready to finally leave.

Needless to say, we ended up having the biggest high-five of my lifetime - you know, the kind that stings for 30 minutes! And his girlfriend came back downstairs and laughed at us relentlessly for the noises we made as the shot went in.

3 Likes