2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Yes as a big head with a negative wingspan it was coming from personal experience

3 Likes

We had a highly ranked player, Chris Seter, many years ago who was listed at 6’8", but he had a preposterously long neck that added 3" to his height.

1 Like

Exactly! Beilein is THERE. It should be no problem to have him stand next to Cade, and Isaiah for that matter, and we’d KNOW beyond a doubt EXACTLY how tall each of those young men are! We wouldn’t even need a doctor’s verification because Beilein practically IS a doctor!

3 Likes

I hope Isaiah Livers has an NBA career that takes off like that of Duncan Robinson. All the Michigan players who chose Bartelstein as their agent have done very well in the draft. I recall Tim Jr went to him as well. Who was Franz’s agent?

1 Like

Jason Glushon is Wagner’s agent.

3 Likes

Wasn’t sure if it should go here or the playoffs thread, but the Pistons have signed Olynyk for three years, 37 million. Think I’d rather have just kept Plumlee? I gotta research Olynyk

1 Like

Pistons look like they’re determined to add shooting: Cade, Livers, Garza, Olynyk plus Spencer Littleson and John Petty on the Summer League.

(Also, Chris Smith from UCLA but I don’t know if he can shoot.)

EDIT: And Beilein.

Yup, shooting looks like a priority for Weaver. Need to open up space for Hayes and Cade to do their thing.

Yep. I’m warming up to it a bit. At the end of the day, only a three year deal. Weaver has yet to make a move that harms the long term future. Like the Plumlee deal, I’m fine with overpaying a bit for a guy that will help with the young guys’ development.

Olynyk started a bunch of games last year, was fine in Miami and played pretty well in Houston. Shooting 39% from 3 on 4.6 attempts a game is good for what will be a backup 4/5 in Detroit. Plumee’s deal was better, but he was not providing the pick-and-pop that Olynyk can give in the minutes he’s out there. A little pricey, but basically have him for 2 years and then can maybe move him as an expiring deal when they have to figure out extensions for the young guys.

3 Likes

Looks like the third year is a team option also. Makes that top line number more digestible imo. Olynyk is a useful player regardless.

2 Likes

They’re probably equivalent quality but play differently.

Olynyk can shoot threes (it’s about all he does), Plumlee is a good passer on the interior.

Both bad defenders.

I like Olynyk as a Garza prototype. Not sure Garza can get there but that’s the top end I imagine for him.

This doesnt feel like a great price but I think it is a decent signing. And near term, price should not be a huge priority for Detroit — except Grant, all our major players are on rookie deals.

1 Like

You don’t play without shoes but check out the Combine data. Difference in height between two dudes can easily be all shoes.

I just don’t think the Pistons should be spending real money on backup centers or on 30+ year olds. They need another star assuming Cunningham is one, and the extra games extra Kelly may help them win won’t accomplish anything…and he’ll be gone or too old by the time they’re actually good.

1 Like

Late to this, but what combine data? There are no numbers, and I remember reading that he skipped the combine.

I went and got the combine data to look at the spread in the differences in height with and without shoes.

In situations where guys know that they’re not going to be measured without shoes, I’d guess the spread would be somewhat larger.

1 Like

I remember Cole Aldrich being in that 1.75" to 2.25" range at his combine.

EDIT: Found it! Legendary.

2 Likes

Illegitimate

1 Like

Yeah, still not a “Legit 7-footer” any way you slice it.