2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I’ve got $20 that says he’s undrafted.

Sure, winner picks the charity, loser pays?

Sports Illustrated new big board:

Wagner 11, Livers 43. Awesome for both those guys

13 Likes

When did SI go behind a paywall?

Regardless, huge for both. Both have pretty clearly moved up significantly on boards this season. Props to them and good look for Juwan, as if he needs any more positive PR :rofl:

2 Likes

Great to hear. It’s also good to see Livers boosting his stock this year as a senior. He’s really added to his game. The last two summers have featured a lot of pod talk/skepticism on whether it was worth hoping he’d become an on-ball threat. I thought we’d just get slightly better SR Livers than JR Livers, but he’s become more rounded. Great arc here. Kudos to all involved.

2 Likes

Love that bit about Michigan having a reputation for helping guys develop and boost their stock.

2 Likes

Sam Vecenie updated his NBA Draft Big Board this morning.

Of Interest:

15)Franz Wagner
16) Josh Christopher
18) Ayo
45) Aaron Henry
47) Joe Weiskamp
50) Luka Garza
51) TJD
56) Hunter Dickinson
70) Isaiah Livers
84) Kofi
93) Marcus Carr
100) Liam Robbins

After 100 is a “Deeper Watch List” of 18 prospects- “young players that have legit high end upsides…but that shouldn’t leave”

Andre Curbelo
Jaden Ivey
EJ Liddell
Jalen Wilson

1 Like

Livers at 70 feels really low to me. Size+shooting feels like a great combo. I guess injury history might still be a factor

6 Likes

Livers is definitely underrated here. I’m happy to see Dickinson that low… Don’t want him to leave

1 Like

From the light digging I’ve done about NBA Draft stuff this year, I think Isaiah has a really good chance of getting drafted.

15 Likes

Also on another note, I’m sure like many people here I have some sour grapes about Christopher. But I feel like I would definitely take Dosunmu before him, no question.

2 Likes

Well if there’s one thing we can all agree on ESPN mocking Franz as a mid-second rounder in 2022 hasn’t aged all too well :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

1 Like

I don’t think any mock draft has aged well ever. Especially the early season ones that have all the freshmen getting drafted in the order of the composite and no upperclassmen going in the first round.

For a program of michigans profile, its wild how late it takes a lot of the draft guys to come around on michigan prospects. Think it has a lot to do with them not coming in as high profile prospects.

I’m more confident in him having a lengthy NBA career than I am of any of the B1G guys ahead of him outside Henry, Ayo and Franz.

In the comments Sam mentioned Henry could get up to first round territory. Sam has always been high on him so that’s no surprise. But now everything is going right in Spartan land and I can see Izzo convincing him to stick around and have a long tourney run

1 Like

This is possibly a good spot to bring up Dylan’s frequent comment that a player that tests the waters and stays usually does so for just one more season. Although no doubt Izzo is going to be pretty desperate to keep Henry around.

1 Like

My take on most players who didn’t arrive in college as a sure-fire bet to get drafted is that they should leave if they’re projected to get drafted. I feel the same way about Hunter; if he firmly ranked top-60 by the end of the season I will probably root for him to leave.

It pains me to see a guy like Charles Matthews who would have been drafted had he left a year earlier, tank his stock because he was convinced to come back while also getting injured in the process. I’m not sure Iggy and Poole would have gotten drafted as high as they were drafted if they stayed longer. Nothing is a sure thing if you come back to college, and while I believe in Hunter and think that he can improve, there’s so many other variables that could ruin your draft stock.

Of course, selfishly, I don’t hope that all players take such advice, because that would tank college basketball pretty significantly. I just hate seeing some of my favorite players lose out on earning potential by coming back to college.

1 Like

Hmm, wasn’t Charles going to stay in the 2018 draft before he got hurt in a workout?

3 Likes

I mean, there were 4 upper-classmen taken in the first round of the last draft, and the first was taken at #26.

11 freshmen were taken before the first upper-classman and that’s not including Ball and Hampton, who were american prospects in the recruiting class who chose to play over-seas (pushing it to basically 13 freshmen). Then you have the various foreign-born 18 year olds like Hayes and Advija.

The top 8 of ESPN’s top 100 were first round picks, #9 was a second rounder, and #10 is still in school.

Overall, I think they do age pretty well.