2021 NBA Draft Discussion

New Mock Draft on ESPN

(ESPN+ Pay Wall: NBA mock draft - New 2021 NBA draft lottery picks, prospects on the rise)

But of note:

Franz: 20
Livers: 50

Other B1G and Former Offers

Moses Moody: 12
Josh Christopher: 24
Ayo: 35
Bones Hyland (!!): 37
Garza: 45
TJD: 51
Aaron Henry: 55

Vecenie talked about Bones on his podcast a couple weeks ago.

Anyone think thereā€™s even a chance that Aaron Henry leaves anymore? I just donā€™t see it. Also wow if Christopher winds up at 24 overall that may not be too bad given how things have gone.

He could. Players have left with worse pro prospects than him. Itā€™s not typical of Izzoā€™s program though. But thereā€™s gonna be attrition on that roster for the first time in ages, and Iā€™m curious how it all shakes out.

Christpherā€™s stock has stayed pretty constant all season. Heā€™s always been more of a 20-30 guy than a lotto. Heā€™s hardly the problem in Tempe either.

Really glad Livers is playing his way into improved stock. I like his chances to get a 2 way at least. Thatā€™s a cool few hundred thousand.

2 Likes

I agree with Livers, that would be so cool. I think his stroke should translate.

Yeah the reason I ask about Henry is because any time thereā€™s a shred of doubt, Izzo is able to get these guys to return. Also what all attrition do you envision? Just curious because I can see some as well

It can come from about anywhere, and I have no inside info so I really donā€™t know. They just have way too many guys. Almost anyone seems to be a possible transfer if they were any other program. Theyā€™re at 14 scholarship players not counting Langford but including the incoming class. Plus Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™ve heard Boayke is a reclass candidate. And MSU fans insist Emoni is coming next year. Thatā€™s as many as 16 for next year. At least one C will transfer, probably 2 if Boayke reclasses. If I were Gabe Brown, Bingham, Loyer, or Watts, Iā€™d be looking elsewhere personally.

2 Likes

Itā€™ll be close. Iā€™m not sure his stock will get much higher with another year, but thereā€™s a chance. His issue is that I see many of the problems plaguing their team will still be true next year, maybe to a lesser extent. Theyā€™re going to need Hoggard to make a major jump forward as a PG or Akins to be able to hit the ground running. I know Spartans say that the relationship between Henry and Izzo is actually good, but itā€™s looking like this year is hurting his stock. And maybe heā€™ll just be over it.

2 Likes

Izzo has always been able to sell success, as in the possibility of being a Spartan legend by leading a Final Four run, etc. It would have to be a hell of a pitch to sell that vision for this squad.

1 Like

Izzo always bounces back. I think MSU will be a top-10 team next year

3 Likes

In the B1G? I can see that, would be a good step forward for Izzo and MSU.

13 Likes

IMO:

-The best Izzo teams have strong seniors and juniors

-Iā€™ll believe attrition when I see it, even though a compelling case has been made.

3 Likes

This will be a wild off-season for MSU. Izzo normally retains his players and they want to stay. In Henryā€™s caseā€¦I just donā€™t know. His stock is down but he already dipped his toe in the NBA water once. Typically Izzoā€™s guys stay because they want a shot at a championship - that likely isnā€™t the case next season as they will be in a rebuild. I donā€™t see Henry transferring, but I do think heā€™s more likely to go pro than stay.

Otherwise there are just so many wildcards on their roster. Brown and Bingham are always in the dog-house. Watts may never be as good as some thought, but he could still be a huge part of their futureā€¦but does he want to stick it out with MSU or go somewhere else?

There is no reason Izzo canā€™t use transfers to address the weak spots on next yearā€™s roster. I am betting MSU bounces back next year. Iā€™m not willing to project top 10, but top 25 seems reasonable.

1 Like

Bout time someone got smart on livers. Be nuts if he goes undrafted when you look around the league at some of the 3D guys getting minutes. Heā€™ll be an early contributor.

1 Like

Elite shooters with size and above average athleticism are good on any team imo. Have to imagine Livers fits that bill and could contribute yeah

Thatā€™s trueā€¦but it is also completely out of character for MSU to do so. Izzo has rarely brought in or lost players - which is a testament to his ability to build his rosters. I hate the quote you hear BTN broadcasters say about ā€œget old stay oldā€ (is that Dakich? Bardo?) but it is true and one of the many reasons MSU has been successful. Theyā€™ve had early departures, but theyā€™ve had a host of talented veterans most years. For MSU to bring in reinforcements would mean that they made room through attrition. While that seems possible or probable to usā€¦it hasnā€™t really happened much.

I think MSU will bounce back to a tournament team with a more normal off-season, the addition of their recruits, and probably the departure of a guy or two thatā€™s playing too many minutes for how good he is.

2 Likes

I agree that transfers and attrition are out of the ordinary pattern for MSU. They did pick up Hauser as a transfer though. Given the lack of success this year and the number of top 100 players not getting minutes, I expect some attrition, which would open up a spot or two. Hoggard will have a season under his belt and an off season to develop, so he should be at least serviceable. Akins, Boayke and Christie should add some good depth. Who knows though? I would have expected MSU to be a solid top 25 team this year and they have been shockingly bad.

1 Like

I donā€™t know about rarely. I remember Eron Harris and Bryn Forbes doing a solid job for MSU as transfers. Hauser is a little different, but Izzo tried to get him cleared for last season.

Yeah I do think Henry leaves. Heā€™s been awful, but wings like him are prized and when you watch MSU for even 30 seconds he stands out physically to me. I think some team that downgraded Jaren Jackson Jr when he got benched for Ben Carter and had Denzel Valentine in their top 10 will have written off Izzo and will take Henry in the 30s.

1 Like

Fair enough, I can sorta see it especially on nights like tonight where he does stand out a ton. For me though it just goes back to how persuasive Izzo is :joy: Iā€™m not sure staying would do much for Henry but we know how it goes with Izzo.

2 Likes