2021 NBA Draft Discussion

Charlotte would be a good spot too. Lamelo is great and they have a fun team. I think GSW will do their best to trade at least one of their picks

1 Like

Totally agreed, heā€™s a great fit. Love the idea of his help defense, switchability, and passing in that scheme while hopefully his catch and shoot skill gets ironed out. But I wonder if anybody drafted that low would be likely enough to meaningfully contribute during their window though. Most 19 year olds arenā€™t ready to be league average or better.

Itā€™ll never happen bc Reinsdorf but I wish the Bulls would take 7, 14, & Wiseman off their hands for a Lavine package. Maybe swap Vuc and Wiggins + future firsts too? I dk if that money works at all but thatā€™s how you actually rebuild the dang team.

2 Likes

You donā€™t think Franz could contribute? Offensively I am skeptical but defensively Iā€™d be pretty confident he could contribute. Rebounding may be meh but his length, IQ and mobility would still be pretty good for the Warriors. And heā€™s got vision offensively. Itā€™s just the strength part that makes me wonder.

Drafting Mitchell at 7 would make sense if looking for instant impact. At the 7 and 14 spots the best instant impact guys in specific roles (not fit) to me would be Mitchell, Kispert, Sengun, Usman Garuba and Duarte.

1 Like

I think heā€™d get there eventually but Iā€™m just saying if you were betting, youā€™d prob bet against it since most players that young arenā€™t very productive. If you could put age 24 Franz on next yearā€™s Warriors that would be awesome.

1 Like

Franz has been in the gym :rofl:

He might be young but he is pretty experienced, not sure age is a huge issue.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a great point by Dylan too though he played pro for 2 years before arriving to Michigan and he was pretty impactful in his role as a 16/17 year old against grown men.

I think Wagner is the type of player that I really hope ends up on a good team. Heā€™s probably never going to be a ā€œstarā€ and if you need him to be one of your top 3 scorers you might be asking for trouble. But on a good team where he can play good defense, pass, set up teammates, switch, attack lesser defenders, etc. heā€™s going to be a guy the fans and coaches love. GSW would be ideal.

1 Like

Franz ā€œissueā€ with the Warriors is that he might not shoot well enough and the Warriors desperately need some more shooting. It was embarrassing watching their wings try to shoot. But Franz D and IQ could be good enough, I could see him taking a Kent Bazemore role and doing it pretty well.

1 Like

Do they desperately need more shooting? Klay should be back next season, right? They will have two of the best shooters on the planet on the floor the majority of the game with JP coming in off the bench to let it fly. They should be fine. Franz would slide in nicely next to those guys.

1 Like

Golden State makes a lot of sense. He can come of the bench with a defined role offensively and an ability to play team defense.

Iā€™m not sure how he would fit in Charlotte. He would be competing with Hayward/Bridges/Washington/McDaniels/Martin for a SG/SF type role, Washington is a stretch 4 kind of but loves to handle the ball. They lose Zeller/Biyombo/Graham/Monk. I imagine they would really want to bring back Graham. I would think there would be a big push to get a big man.

Maybe Wagner could work but seems like in Charlotte you really need to shoot the ball, 5 guys shooting it behind the arc at 38.6% or above and another around 37%. He could probably help them defensively a bit but might not be able to shoot it enough.

1 Like

I kind of liked their picks the last few years. I thought Poole, Wiseman, paschal were all solid and I liked looney 5-6 years ago. Picking 29 every year is tough.

I would have taken Wiseman too with That roster.

3 Likes

Fit wise I meant in that they seem to be building a competent roster as compared to a franchise like Sacramento. Iā€™m not sure they will want to sign Graham or not, they have Ball and Rozier. Vecenie mentioned they want to sign a big with their cap space but there arenā€™t tons of options. And they could go over the cap to resign Graham. Either way, canā€™t really have too many competent wings, and I donā€™t think McDaniels or Martin is good enough to make them feel like they canā€™t draft another.

2 Likes

I think ā€œmeaningfully contributeā€ was probably too fuzzy. What I wanted to say re: age is that they need starters and the odds of Franz being able to step in and be a league average player in his age 19 season is not very likely. Over the last 5 seasons, there have been 114 player seasons to accumulate over 500 minutes at either age 19 or 20. The median BPM of those 19 and 20 year old seasons is -2.7 and the 90th percentile is 0.5.

So, something like 1 in 10 guys that young and get any playing time at all are also ready to step in and be starters for NBA playoff teams.

1 Like

How many of those guys had played ~3 seasons of college-level-ish hoops?

So few as to not be able to conclude much about its importance? The base probabilities are unfavorable so even if you plus him a bit bc of his background Iā€™m not sure it makes a lot of difference.

2 Likes

That doesnt feel like a fair question because there are so few players who have played at that level this young. Obviously that is a data point in his favor but it isnt like there is a lot of history to rely on for a 19yo with that much experience

Yeah, which is just why I was trying to say that it doesnā€™t really make sense to lump him in with those players who arenā€™t really similar to him.

Almost every 19 year old who has been in the NBA probably has very limited high-level experience. Franz should be ahead of those guys based on his track record.

The value of his age is that he still has those extra years to develop. I just donā€™t completely see why it should hold him back at this point.

2 Likes

I think itā€™s unlikely that heā€™s very different from the rest of his peers re: the NBA given that we saw him at the NCAA level where he was obviously good but didnā€™t differentiate himself from his lottery peers.

Also, if you really think heā€™s going to be league average out of the box youā€™re saying he should prob be a top 4 pick. That kind of production is rare.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure what his production would be or if heā€™s ā€œleague averageā€ but I think he plays a pretty useful style of basketball to fit around Steph, Klay, Draymond with his defense, IQ on and off the ball, etc.

I also think I disagree with the notion that he didnā€™t differentiate himself in college when he started every game for two very good teams and made an instant impact on both ends of the court.

I do still think heā€™ll be a guy who is more impressive to someone who watches every game than someone who reads every box score, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s an issue.

1 Like