2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I am 1000% hoping for this to happen as wellšŸ™šŸ¼

5 Likes

Franz would be a great fit in Golden State

1 Like

Crazy how many assists his teammates blew:

8 Likes

His surrounding cast arenā€™t good yet Cade still stood out as a stud. I finally got to watch Cade closely and he finds way to score in a variety of ways which is a good thing. He can score off the dribble, spot up shooter, post scoring, floater, etc. I can see why he watched a lot of Khris Middleton film because theyā€™re similar at how they get to their spot despite not having an elite athleticism. I love how heā€™s not afraid to take big shots in crunch time. He did not look out of place against Baylor and was able to get whatever he can get against them which is impressive. His defense is very good. Can guard against different position.

With better teammates and spacing, Cade could be getting a bunch of triple doubles with scoring, passing and rebounding. Iā€™m super excited to have him in Detroit.

3 Likes

Unique star that carried his Oklahoma State team to better results than their roster deserved, now a high draft pick to Detroit?

Give him #20 and letā€™s have some fun.

Going to have to make a way to watch some Pistons games this year.

4 Likes

They basically have the Bad Boy era unis in the wardrobe (with minor detail changes including the mysterious flip of red and blue stripes on the white uni) but the other stuff hasnā€™t done it for me. I do wish theyā€™d bring back the red alt. I love the Pistons basic uniforms, hated when they changed them, and Iā€™m delighted theyā€™ve stuck with them since.

1 Like

That interview and breakdown is great for anyone even remotely interested. I barely follow the NBA but figured this was a special occasion.

Wow, what a smart, curious, thoughtful guy Cade comes off as. I can definitely see him being a leader on a team, even as a young guy.

2 Likes

Killian will have to learn how to shoot or Cade will supplant him as PG pretty quick. I know they were using Hayes at SG later in the year but this will put a lot of pressure on Killian and I am good with that.

Pistons summer league team should be loaded Cade/Killian/Saddiq/Isaac. Then you have some guys like Saban Lee/Sekou, 3 2nd round picks. I wouldnā€™t bet money on summer league but Pistons should smash some teams.

4 Likes

Theyā€™ll play together. Need at least two ball handlers and Grant/Stewart/Bey are more of a possession finishers.

2 Likes

Hayes has the shooting to be one. His FT% is good and he has good shooting numbers in the overseas. I think the game is too fast for him plus the 3 pt line is much deeper.

I think Weaver will package the 2nd round picks to move up to get at 3rd G who can play next to either Cade or Killian. There are good options like Miles McBride, Tre Mann, Jay Ayayi, Bones Hyland. In terms of best fit, Ayayi might be it since he can shoot, play defense and doesnā€™t need to be the top 2-3 option.

I think they give strong consideration to playing Cade as a wing.

1 Like

I think Detroit need to upgrade the 2 guard or wing to unlock maximum return on Cade - you basically have Bey, Grant and Ellington taking 3s at any volume. Bey shows potential as a shooter, Grant is so-so, and Ellington is a journeyman who can fill in, but doesnā€™t scream starter.

I think Hayes being injured most of the year will stunt his growth enough that heā€™ll be relegated to back up duties.

The young bigs have a lot of potential.

Pistons fans have got to be pretty happy - things could really come together.

5 Likes

On defense you mean right? Long-term they have to use him like Luka. Having two other guards on the floor could make sense though (would have to find those guards first however).

Iā€™m ashamed to say that Iā€™ve become so apathetic about the NBA and about the Pistons that I have no idea how to comment. All these years wanting to trade off assets and tank, and we finally do it and win the lottery, and I personally have nothing to say. I got homework to do I guess!

4 Likes

The likely depth chart:

PG: Kilian Hayes, Saben Lee (prob add a vet here)
SG: Cade Cunningham, Hamidou Diallo and/or Frank Jackson
SF: Saddiq Bey, Josh Jackson
PF: Jerami Grant, Sekou Doumbouya
C: Isaiah Stewart, Mason Plumlee

Thatā€™s a super young team with a lot of high upside players. Ton of former five stars.

And the Pistons will have a ton of cap space next off-season. Maybe go after Bradley Beal?

5 Likes

Wow that is a fun roster. Crazy young. Maybe they can be the next Hawks

1 Like

Yeah I mean he can play with two other guards. Heā€™ll have the ball a lot, but someone else could bring it up and start the offense. So having Cade doesnā€™t mean (to me) that Detroit shouldnā€™t look to add or use other small players. If that makes sense.

I agree with you is what I think Iā€™m saying.

2 Likes

I wonder if he can really and truly guard one through four. Most of the athleticism concerns seem to be around verticality, but still

1 Like

Yeah I definitely agree that they shouldnā€™t be dissuaded from adding more guards. Cade is gonna be your point guard, but his size gives you a lot of positional versatility as far as what you put around him. Pick a center and then find the next 3 best players with floor stretching abililty you can find, irrespective of size.

2 Likes

Gives you the luxury of bringing on incomplete players in the role. There are lots of college shooters with decent enough handle who canā€™t cut it in the NBA as actual PGs.

1 Like