2021 NBA Draft Discussion

I’m not a Pistons fan so I don’t know where it’s coming from, but I had heard that Weaver likes Bouknight a lot.

Really hope it’s not true Mobley is their number 2 over Green.

For the folks relatively down on Mobley, what’s the fear? Is it fit on the Pistons? Down on his game? I’m slightly Green>Mobley, but will be thrilled with any of the top 3 ending up in Detroit. I see a three tier top 4 with Cade, Green/Mobley, Suggs and then a solid drop off to the next 10ish. I see Cade as the only “can’t miss” guy but the next three could have been the top pick in 2020, in my opinion.

I’ve seen quite a bit of negative to lukewarm reaction on Mobley here and elsewhere and just trying to understand if people are actually down on him or just prefer another guy.

2 Likes

I think Mobley is going to be a very, very good NBA player and fits the modern style of big. My concern, as a Pistons fan, is that in order to win in the NBA you need play makers and scorers all over the court. Right now the Pistons don’t really have that…or certainly not enough of it. So guys like Green & Cunningham, possibly Suggs, fit that need better. That’s my only hesitation with Mobley.

Now, if you want to sell me that he’s Giannis 2.0 in a couple of years? I’m listening…

2 Likes

I’m pro-Mobley but think they’ll still need to add a SG. But they should have a ton of cap space and tradeable assets to get that once Blake Griffin is off the books.

Any interest in an NBA playoffs thread? I’m excited that there are 8 teams capable of deep runs this year and a crazy amount of exciting players to watch.

Partial list: Joker, Steph, Luka, Dame, Ja, Kyrie, Caris.

2 Likes

I think if the Pistons lands the #1 overall, you can move Killan to SG and let Cade be the lead guard. Honestly, both have the size, shooting to play off the ball just fine. The only concern is neither are elite athletes but if they can defend, it shouldn’t matter.

I think Mobley is an entirely defensible pick anywhere out of the top 2 or 3.

I think he will likely be good a player.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m in the same boat. I think Mobley will be a really good pro and he would fit in well next to Stewart. I really want the Pistons to get a bonafide playmaker/scorer though, which makes me lean more towards the other guys in the top 4. I won’t be mad with Mobley and if Weaver sees scoring upside I’ll trust him too.
My board goes: 1. Cade, 2. Green, 3. Suggs, 4. Mobley.

And as I say this, I just have a feeling Pistons will again get the short end of the stick and wind up at 5 or 6 after the huge drop in talent.

3 Likes

See, I don’t think Hayes’ European career or abbreviated NBA minutes have suggested he can play off-ball.

To me, having Hayes should not preclude Weaver from taking Cade Cunningham. If Cade is that much better, then so be it. I do think a lot of people are overrating Hayes pre-draft. He projects to be a solid but not great player.

We’ll see if Hayes can play off the ball but his size and shooting suggest that he can.

Hayes shouldn’t preclude him from picking Cunningham at all, but the best situation for them to coexist would probably be with Hayes leading the second team.

I would agree that having Hayes should not preclude taking either Cunningham or Green.

My issue is that Hayes, at least so far, has been a poor shooter in both Europe and the NBA.

But I agree Hayes should not be an obstacle to taking the supernova talent.

Ideally the sort of PG you want next to a Cunningham is, like, Eric Beverly.

I watched Jonathan Kuminga highlights all night just to prepare myself for the inevitable “Pistons fall to pick 5” outcome

3 Likes

Genuine question: what are your thoughts? He seems to be an enigma.

Same here, same reasons.

1 Like

Was more impressed than I thought I would be. He’s a physical specimen. Showed signs of really good footwork in the post and on drives. Has some upside as a shot creator/scorer. Doesn’t really fit in with the Bey/Grant wings though, but I do think he would be the guy I’d hope they pick at #5.

1 Like

Yeah I’d take Kuminga at 5. He’s young too. Was originally a 2022 kid and doesn’t turn 19 until October. He has the most upside after the top 4.

It’s coming from Pistons beat writer James Edwards. After talking to people in the organization, the Pistons really like Bouknight and would be the pick if their draft pick falls out of the top 4. As of now anyway.

1 Like

My tiers right now are Cade–Mobley/Green/Suggs–Kuminga-Bouknight---------next group (Franz, Mitchell, Barnes, etc). Imo that big drop happens after Kuminga/Bouknight. I may even be talked into moving Mitchell into his own tier between Kuminga and the next group too. Just glad the Pistons wont be picking 7th/8th yet again.

LOL Did the exact same thing last night, watched some Bouknight as well. After watching a bit of Kuminga, I’d take him, why not. Although I would be more open towards trading the pick tbh.

Mobley is slight of build and playing at Center, I’m worried about injuries. Maybe he can make the switch to the 4 at the next level. I just think there’s zero downsides to taking a player like Green who can score off the bat and create for others. He has everything except for the fact that he’s somewhat skinny.