2021 NBA Draft Discussion

First pick in the second, not their first pick overall.

1 Like

You missed the 2nd round part. Todd could improve his stock in workouts but not anywhere near the lottery.

1 Like

I’m curious to see Franzs wingspan. Gotta be 7’+ right? Tay was 7-3 so it’ll be interesting to see how close he gets.

1 Like

I honestly think that could end up being a mistake. I’m actually buying On Todd pretty hard now. If he was there and I picked in the 15 range I might pull. Obviously gotta see who’s there but if he stays a second round pick, someone will be very happy down the line.

2 Likes

Yeah people sort of tuned out after his bad start but he ended up being probably their second most productive player after Green.

I think it was already mentioned but AK47 is a perfect comparison for Franz Wagner but Franz has more upside as a shooter and creator.

Livers is more of a Jared Dudley type which is not a bad one to have as a 3 and D jumbo type of forward. Can shoot and play tough defense but is lacking overall athleticism to be nothing more than a catch and shoot player.

1 Like

I though Kuminga was the best, no? Now I gotta go back and look.

I’m standing alone on apparently that I’d take Kuminga 1st.

I got it

Kuminga
Cunningham
Green
Mobley

Then at 5 I’d have to dig in again and compare Suggs with some others but off the top of my head I’d take him 5.

Kuminga, is just a freak to me. He has a higher ceiling to me than Cade and I’m not sure Cade is 100 percent better than him right now.

What I saw with ignite just reinforced my conviction. He plays with such strength, control , and this smoothness that you can’t teach. I loved him at the Patrick School too. He’s got so many top level wing traits. He even has a nice little turn around / fade in the post
that is basically impossible to stop for an athlete like him.

Drafts like this make the Nba more appealing imo. Great injection of talent and interesting players. I still prefer college but the NBA suddenly seems to have a ton of interesting players/ game changers.

AK47 was getting 4 APG in his prime. I don’t think Franz has much upside over that. He was also an elite rim protector which is just not what Franz is gonna be. I don’t see it as a good comp. but I’m the comp police so feel free to ignore

Too ambitious. His absolute ceiling may look AK47ish, but he’s not likely to get near that.

1 Like

AK47’s career stats are 2.7 apg, 5.5 rpg, 1.4 spg and 1.8 bpg.
Franz’s current stats are 3.0 apg, 6.1 rpg, 1.3 spg and 1.0 bpg.

I don’t see any reason why Franz can do this kind of stuff that AK47 has done in the NBA. I think there’s untapped potential as a creator for Franz and he has shown that he can block as a rim protector as well as blocking jumpshots with his length and timing.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m not trying to say who the better prospect is, but Green definitely had the best season on Ignite. I think Kuminga ended up something like 36% from the floor.

just a heads up, I don’t think AK47’s career numbers are what people are thinking when they make the comparison - he was an All-Star at 22, and of the same quality through 25, and near useless at 27.

3 Likes

I hear ya but the playing style is pretty similar. I based my comp based on their playing style. Franz plays pretty close to AK47 to me. Franz is only 19 so he is incredibly young to be this good in college level.

My mention of Kirilenko initially in this thread was mostly just naming a tall Euro wing player that had a decent rep for defending in the NBA and being more of a slasher than a shooter.

I have no idea what type of player Franz will ultimately end up being in the NBA but his body type definitely resembles Kirilenko.

I want to bring my friend to this forum to fight you. He loves this comp, is definitely a knowledgeable basketball fan, and isn’t nearly as nice as I am :joy:

1 Like

I’m just thinking of prime AK47 I guess. I don’t see the similarities in their games. He was a Point Forward basically. Got tons of boards, protected the rim (led the NBA in blocks one year), all while playing the 4.

I’ll get the exact specifics of his argument and share them. Personally, I push back on him and think AK47 was a more explosive, higher level athlete, but I see the stat stuffing, versatility, superior length side of things. He’s not a forum guy, but I’m sure his opinion is better than what I’m presenting.

I dont think I’ve heard this one, but what about Trevor Ariza? Elite wing defender, decent shooter, good passer, overall winning player at the wing spot.

1 Like

A skinnier Kevin Duckworth will a worse hook shot but better foot-speed and handle and less pigment

Ayo declares for the NBA Draft

2 Likes