2020 Recruiting Notes

It’s always good to have backup plans, but we actually have a pretty strong existing roster, IMO. I don’t think the 2020 class is nearly as important to our future success as a strong year on the court and a strong 2021 class.

Even if this class were Zeb and Jace, and no one else, you come into the 2020 year with Johns, Castleton, Wagner, Bajema, Livers, and Jackson as your core group. That’s pretty good.

6 Likes

Agreed, with the assumption that Livers doesn’t break out in 2019-20 and declares.

Some potential there, without a doubt, but if you look at the kids Michigan is targeting in this class… most of them would probably expect to start on that roster, no?

4 Likes

I think that’s probably right.

Much of it really depends on player development this year.

If guys like Johns and Castleton take a big step forward - which I believe will happen but is certainly not a given - then I think anyone coming in at the 4/5 position won’t be a lock to start, but will play significant minutes.

And you probably have Livers and Franz at the 3, too - would be hard to see a true freshman starting over them unless Livers doesn’t improve and Franz is not the player we think he is.

But the two guard position seems like a straight path toward starting - and that seems like the place we’re the strongest with Burnett and Springer being decent possibilities, and maybe Christopher too if Kentucky can’t take him.

But, I would agree that any recruit currently looking at the roster is probably not thinking he’ll have to sit next year.

With that said, a lot depends on player development under Juwan, and we just won’t know that for awhile. I do feel confident this is the type of roster JB could compete for a Big Ten title with and make a strong NCAA run with.

That doesn’t matter though, the question is what kind of roster Juwan Howard needs to compete for a Big Ten title and make a strong NCAA run with. I suspect they have different priorities.

3 Likes

I agree, I just meant that I like our current talent. I don’t expect Juwan to be as good of a coach (in terms of game plan, system, skill development) as JB, but only because JB was so good at it. I do think Juwan can and will be effective. What we do on the court this year will have a big impact on the future direction of the program, IMO. I think a top 5 Big Ten finish, a tourney bid in the 5-8 seed range, and a style of play that appeals to recruits will go a long way toward our future recruiting efforts.

Posting this here because it pertains to a few players.

Evans projects Dickinson to Michigan but calls Notre Dame “the safest choice” which is interesting. He also thinks Adam Miller to Illinois is most likely with Arizona at two. He also likes UCLA’s chances best with Josh Christopher and doesn’t think a decision will be made until spring as he figures out how to fit in officials.

1 Like
9 Likes

Maybe he can con Moses Moody into signing the Michigan NLI instead of Arkansas too. Just pull the ol switcheroo on the paperwork.

10 Likes

New target linked below and got to think new names emerge. Have no known guard targets besides Christopher and probably need a backup or two at the 4 and 5 as well.

3 Likes

Any current video on him everything I see is older

This kid was born in Michigan. His father reached out to me a few years ago and told me that he was born in Michigan but they moved out of state at a young age. Not sure if they have any family in the state but I nearly tagged this kid in this thread when i seen he decommitted from FSU. Thought he could be a possible name to watch.

1 Like

Also of note, Josh Christopher posted on his IG that he’s in Ann Arbor now.

14 Likes

Thanks for the info BP. A Rivals article said he was born in AA, have you seen him live?

Also any other names you think have the potential to be on the staff’s radar?

1 Like

No specific mention of Michigan but lists available recruits including Nwokeji. Wonder if Devin Carter becomes a target as the son of a former NBAer who is an assistant with the Heat.

New ESPN rankings have Todd down 5 spots and Zeb up 8 or 9 spots. Dickinson also moved up. The biggest takeaway, most of the top 100 is committed. Makes me curious who the next bach of targets would be if Christopher and Dickinson don’t land

3 Likes
4 Likes

Grad transfers also come in to play, depending on how high school recruiting finishes.

Kyree Walker being mentioned as a dark horse for Michigan. I would certainly not be opposed to adding him. Would likely be Michigan’s best creator with the ball behind Simpson immediately and has great size to play anywhere across the backcourt.

6 Likes

Has there been any recent contact with Walker?

1 Like