2020 Recruiting Notes

Just have to hope Juwan is as good at finding guys no really wants late in the cycle as Beilein and can develop them in the same way. I don’t think he’ll be at that level in that regard in April 2020 but who knows :crossed_fingers:t2::crossed_fingers:t2: (Not to say Juwan couldn’t get there, Beilein had been doing it for 3 decades, Juwans been on the job coaching collegiately for 3 months)

1 Like

Yes – working on roundup for this week but the recruiting calendar opened on Monday so in-home visits, etc. are underway.

5 Likes

There are plenty of recruits who wait to decide until the spring and the vast majority are not of the variety that “no one else wants.”

Heck, even Beilein got in on Quinones, Beverly and Hyland very late in the cycle this past year. If Juwan misses on guys this fall, he will have a longer period of time to recruit new players than Beilein did.

2 Likes

I was referring specifically to the guys the previous poster was talking about (MAR, Caris, Spike).
What you’re talking about would be expanding the recruiting board (exactly what I’ve been advocating for). I’d prefer it happens sooner rather waiting for these guys to make decisions so they’re not as limited with available options as they would be in the spring.

Eh. At this point it is very late in the process to start recruiting guys who are deciding in the fall. If they expand their board, the only guys they would likely even have a shot at are the ones who are deciding in the spring and for those guys there is plenty of time to recruit them.

Kessler, Springer, Dickinson, Ware, Williams and many others will likely decide sometime in October/November so we will know soon enough whether expanding the board further is necessary. All they need is one or two of these guys and we will feel pretty darn good about where we are at.

1 Like

I do not think Juwan by himself would have many contacts for the late type of recruit with which JB had success. However, I would think that fits right into Phil Martelli’s wheelhouse. That is why I am really happy with Juwan’s staff to date.

I am more optimistic about this team and this recruiting cycle than most on this sight. Time will tell if that was the correct perspective.

2 Likes

Even one of those guys would be great. Still will have a lot of spots available even if one does happen to commit.

Saddi has a lot of contacts, too, especially in this region.

1 Like

Juwan is going to recruit well. Believe it.

1 Like

Sounds like the board will be expanding here in the next few weeks

The board has been expanding constantly. By my quick count, Michigan has extended a 2020 scholarship offer on the following days: Jul 14, Jul 16, Jul 16, Aug 1, Aug 13, Aug 14. I’m sure I missed some. The board has been expanding.

You keep referring to “expanding the board” but Michigan has been consistently prioritizing new prospects over the last three months.

The “board will expand” over the next couple of weeks because coaches are actually allowed to go out on the road and watch guys work out again, which is critical, but that shouldn’t be taken as a sign of anything other than the recruiting calendar.

11 Likes

Great, I’m happy they’ve been continuing looking at/offering other probably more realistic targets now as opposed to later after all these top 50 guys decide as was suggested by some here

Juwan will get his recruits, and you will get used to competing with Duke and Kentucky on recruiting trails year in and year out. This is what Juwan sees where Michigan is, because it is where Michigan was when he was a player. Juwan is not going to shy away from top recruits and he certainly has the connection and charisma to win some over to Maize and Blue.

Agreed but it feels like 2021 and beyond will be when these recruiting wins will come

Not Michigan related, but I saw this article about Cade Cunningham and his brother that’s on staff at OSU. So I went to his brother’s bio on OK St’s website.

He went from Middle School basketball coach, to Assistant Director of Video Operations at Tulane the next year, to a full on assistant at Oklahoma State right after that. What a hire by Mike Boynton :roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Shades of Bob Huggins…

I’d say it was very different then Huggins. Huggs hired someone that was actually a college assistant at Charlotte and was an AAU coach with a prominent program. Boynton hired someone that had never coached at the college level but was a coach for two prominent AAU teams.

These types of situations have been going on for years. Larry Brown with Danny Manning’s dad, Bill Self with Mario Chalmers’ dad, and Tennessee did it with Allan Houston’s dad. AAU coaches get hired all the time including with Tom Crean at Indiana, Rick Pitino at Louisville, Ben Howland at UCLA.

1 Like

::cough:: Perry Watson ::cough::

1 Like

Perry was hired to bring Jalen in no doubt, but he was a multi time state championship winning high school coach

1 Like

Given that most assistants keep their jobs for only a few years before moving on for whatever reason, hiring a guy who might land a top recruit at a mid-tier program seems like a pretty defensible move.