2020 Recruiting Notes

Juwan is going to recruit well. Believe it.

1 Like

And it’s not even that they just visited, it’s that other contenders got subsequently dropped in multiple of these recruitments. It’s still not definitive we get any of them, but all of the signs are positive at this point.

2 Likes

I think @MoeSwagner view is warranted. Generally recruiting commitments are not “surprises”. If we aren’t leading or considered equal in the recruitment post-OV, 95% chance it’s not happening.

1 Like

Nobody knows who is actually leading for these kids. Most of them don’t really give interviews. Can you confidently say you absolutely know where any of Ware, Burnett, Springer, Dickinson, Kessler, Williams and Brakefield will end up? You can guess, but I don’t think any of them have one consensus school that seems like a foregone conclusion. Every kid has said they intend to take 5 officials. Nobody expects a commitment on the visit.

I’d imagine the coaches have a much better idea of how they feel based on phone conversations and actual in person contact during the visits. If anything, it’s interesting that a couple of them have dropped schools post-Michigan visit.

Some of you just love to be pessimistic.

4 Likes

Disagree with this statement. Most of these kids have one or two schools that are considered the favorite. Best Michigan has right now is being considered #2 for Ware, #2 for Burnett and #2ish for Kessler.

1 Like

Do you have any links from credible sources showing the #1s for those kids? Where are you getting that information? And if so, why haven’t they committed yet? Any insight?

Most just assume anytime Kentucky or Duke is involved that that’s where a kid is going to go. I haven’t seen a single quote from Ware or Kessler or someone close to them that makes it sound they are for sure going there. If anything, it’s interesting that they weren’t swayed to immediately commit to those places. And LOL about being #2 for Burnett. They could be, but there is no way you can say with outright confidence that he has an outright leader. Who is #1? Bama? You are guessing just like anyone else at this point.

2 Likes

I’d say it’s more realistic. Recruiting analysts across multiple sites have a decent read on most recruitments (certainly better than any of us just posting on message board) especially with the top 50 types they’ve built relationships for multiple months/years not only with the players but those close the player like coaches, family members etc. At this point they’re not just throwing stuff against a wall, they’ve heard things from people at least Mildy close to the situation. Right now UofM likely isn’t the favorite for any of these guys and they’ve all got multiple official visits lined up other places having followed recruiting for a while that’s not ideal, best to have one of the last visits not the 1st . I’d don’t think the idea of expanding the recruiting board in the near future is that pessimistic of a take, it seems like a good idea, there’s a pretty good chance at least 1-2 guys that’ll be in this class haven’t been offered at this point

Being in and a leader early hasn’t always worked out, at least in Michigan’s case. If I recall correctly, they were one of the first schools in and leading with Luke Kennard, Derrick Thornton Jr., and Devin Booker. You never know.

1 Like

Glad to see you have a better read on the situation than Juwan, Phil, Saddi and Howard.

And which recruiting analysts are you referring to? 247 posted a couple really positive write ups about Kessler and Burnett. Doesn’t mean they will come here, but it also clearly shows Michigan isn’t a long shot. Springer supposedly hit it off with Zeb on his official and eliminated two schools immediately following his Michigan visit. And Sam Webb said he’s close to a CB for Burnett. There’s enough positive feedback out there to have reason to recruit until the bell with these kids. This is big boy recruiting now. When you’re going for the best, you need to have more patience.

And I don’t disagree that it would be wise to have some Plan Bs in mind simmering on the back burner in the event that these current recruits all commit elsewhere. I also don’t disagree that 1-2 guys in the class likely aren’t on the radar right now. But that’s not at all how you framed it initially. You framed it in a way that Chicken Little would frame it.

Simple I really don’t think UofM will land any of them.

3 Likes

Probably should’ve stated it better, but yeah just don’t see happening with most of these guys, save for maybe Ware. Most of the info I’ve seen from non UofM affiliated recruiting guys and even the Rivals have Michigan at best 2 for Ware (OSU is strong here as well) and Burnett (apparently Oregon might be the leader according to some), Just really think the board should expand in the near future ,they can stay in most of these till the end while also recruiting others just seem to be a lot eggs in the 5 star / top 50 basket when you’re recruiting such a big class. I also think Juwan will be a great recruiter

On the flipside, Michigan can afford to “shoot high” this year because it should return a strong base to the roster next season. A base of Castelton, Johns, Livers OR Wagner, Bajema, Nunez, DeJulius OR Brooks … add Zeb Jackson to the back court, a “safe recruit” like Jace Howard, and one of the other Top50/60 caliber recruits Michigan’s been able to get on campus… plus a Grad Transfer and a late recruiting cycle bloomer. That gives the staff a solid core to work from.

And current trends in spring/summer recruiting point to Coach Howard having a strong group of Grad Transfer options willing to join his program after Year 1.

So, shoot high in the Freshman recruiting and see if the Staff can land two Top50 caliber recruits to join Zeb Jackson in the recruiting class, plus maybe Coach Howard gets lucky and brings back both of Livers and Wagner … then the roster gets REAL interesting.

4 Likes

You keep saying that and that only

I get shooting for the stars but I think it’d make much more sense in 2021 and beyond when you have time built relationships with these guys. If they miss on these top 50 (which is decent possibility) where do they go from there? Zeb will be in the fold but then you’re looking at Jace and scrambling to fill out a large class with under the radar types and maybe a grad transfer (though those seem to be tougher at UofM with academic requirements and generally don’t have a big impact anyway).

We’ve had this debate many times. A good class can still be made late in the cycle, and it doesn’t have to be under the radar types, that’s just what JB did. Oregon pulled together an elite class in June and July. Texas Tech nabbed impact grad transfers. Coaches leave schools which opens up new possibilities. I just don’t agree with your assessment on doom and gloom if we miss out on everyone (which I also don’t think we will).

2 Likes

Any reason for all the uptick in news and reports recently? Did the recruiting calendar just turn over or something?

i get the gloomy view given michigan’s past since the early 90s recruiting multiple high end talents

but the coach (who he is) and program (recent success) are also at a different point than theyve been since that same time

you take the hype/relationships and shots at the big recruits to set the tone. if we land burnett or just one other big five star early, the momentum will only gain steam. plus as mentioned above, we have the team foundation next year to miss on a couple of big fish

Oregon is playing by some different rules (I think you know that). And yes TT did happen to get some high level impact grad transfers but those a few a far between and as we saw Beileins departure it’s not a definitive that a high level transfer would come here even with a pretty easy path to significant playing time. Also I don’t think the thought of expanding the recruiting board or thinking they won’t land the few 5star top 50 types they’ve offered in 2020 as “doom and gloom”.

In person Visits started this week

2 Likes

If you miss on those guys, there is 0 momentum and 0 back up plans.

we’ve had back up plans… caris lavert, spike, MAAR… things tend to work themselves out between september and april of next year