2020 Recruiting Notes

A post was merged into an existing topic: 2020 - G - Jaden Springer (Offer)

Thatā€™s where Iā€™m at with most of the offered recruits at this point. I have a feeling the majority of the remaining 2020 spots will be filled by guys that donā€™t have offers yet and Jace

1 Like

I Just donā€™t think weā€™re gonna get Kessler, although Sam Webb seems to think we have a chance. I would guess 2-3 spots are filled by guys we have already offered.

Nimari seems like the most likely get of these 5* guys, right?

1 Like

2-3 of the offered guys would be great.
I think theyā€™ll most assuredly get Jace, but beyond that just dont have a great feeling with the others, Ware I think is their best shot but with Kentucky looming who knows

This guy Jake is a busy man. Iā€™d never heard of him 2 months ago but I also hadnā€™t frequented this board all that much.

1 Like

We may get several guys on the list even if weā€™re not leading for many/any of them right now because of the impact of other decisions. For example, Duke may be leading for Kessler and Mark Williams, but if Kessler commits first, and does so to Duke, would Williams, a top 40 kid at the same position, commit to Duke? Similarly, Lance Ware might or might not like Kentucky better than Michigan, but even if he does, if Isaiah Jackson drops to Kentucky first, what will Ware do? You can go down the line with guys in that position (Dickinson and Christopher leap to mind), and these are NOT ā€œPlan Bā€ guysā€“they are top 50 (in some cases, top 20) recruits.

Recruiting is fluid. Odds change as people drop off the board.

2 Likes

As far as the 5* go Iā€™d probably rank them:
Burnett
Springer

Kessler
Christopher

Todd

2 Likes

Dickinson?

I see. absolutely zero reason to think we have any chance at Todd, regardless of what happens with other players. No one has. even suggested that he has talked about a visit, much less set one up, and no one has suggested that we even have an in-home with him. All four of the other guys on your list have either visited or set a date for a visit. Unless thereā€™s a lot more that we donā€™t know, Toddā€™s inclusion of Michigan on his ā€œfinal fiveā€ list smacks of being nothing more than having an extra baseball cap at a presser to ā€œheighten the suspense.ā€

1 Like

This is a good post uk and duke canā€™t take everyone

I understand that, but these are plan A guys for multiple programs and these guys have a lot of options. Say Duke with Williams or Kessler or UK with Christopher or Ware fill up at their respective positions, yeah the odds are a little better for Juwan to land one of em but I still wouldnā€™t say itā€™s a forgone conclusion that heā€™d get a commit from any of them. Iā€™d be very happy if they land 1 of the above mentioned guys or the other top 50 offers out there to go along with Zeb and Jace (who Iā€™d guess is a sure bet to be in the class).

Yeah I just tossed him on there at the end of the list but I agree with what youā€™re saying.

As for Dickinson, heā€™s not a 5* at least to the composite.

Agree with this ranking.

Oh, I agree with all of this. The guys mentioned do have other options, so it would not be etched in stone that they would come to Michigan even if other schools fill up at their position before they decide. And I agree that a class with any one of the kids mentioned to go along with Zeb and Jace would be a very good November haul, leaving us in a position to add-on after kids have seen Juwan coach and learned his style. All I was saying is that what the odds are of getting kids now may well not be the odds a month down the roadā€“while lance Ware, for example, may not choose Michigan even if Kentucky drops out of the picture, I would certainly think that the odds would go up materially.

1 Like

Weā€™re on the same page I think, just not sure that even though odds will go up as the UKs and Dukes fill up, that Juwan and Co. will actually land any of these guys. I really think heā€™ll need to move on some plan B type recruits in the near future or risk losing out. If he doesnā€™t Iā€™m afraid heā€™ll end up having filling the class with late bloomers and under radar types if he waits too long.
Iā€™m maybe/probably being a bit pessimistic but with the number of spots to fill they need difference makers to go along with Zeb

Why are you being so pessimistic right after 5 different guys just took officials? You donā€™t visit without interest and then when you visit, it gives Juwanā€™s personality a chance to shine. You donā€™t ā€œmove onā€ after that. At this point, they have a good idea of what kind of vibes they got from the recruits and if they think they have a shot, they need to shoot that shot.

2 Likes

You are not maybe being a bit pessimistic. You are laying out a worst case scenario.

1 Like

Simple I really donā€™t think UofM will land any of them. The best chance is probably with Ware. Wait out these guys and ā€œshoot your shotā€ and when they go elsewhere where does that leave you?? Juwan and UofM are relative new comers to every recruitment while others have been hard on these top 50 guys for years. Yeah Juwans personality is great, but heā€™s basically an unknown as the head of CBB program. Im not saying stop recruiting these guys, Iā€™m saying widen the net, the chances of them landing more than one the offers that are out there (aside from Jace) arenā€™t good at all and theyā€™re still 3-4 spots to fill in 2020. No chance theyā€™re filling the majority of the class with the top 50 types theyā€™ve already offered Iā€™d guess at least 2 or 3 guys that end up signing arenā€™t even on our radar at this point.

2 Likes

I donā€™t look at offering some plan B recruits a ā€œworst case scenarioā€ I look at like itā€™s a smart move to protect against having to fill a class with late bloomers and under the radar recruits. Worst case would be missing out on all these guys and have no plan Bs in the works

1 Like