2020 Recruiting Notes

He has offers from Dayton, St Louis, and SDSU all before his senior year. That’s a better offer sheet than several Beilein guys.

10 Likes

He has Dayton, Saint Louis and San Diego State offers. Don’t consider any of those schools to be low end mid-majors.

2 Likes

How I feel about this (assuming he commits) will be determined by how the rest of the class fills out.

2 Likes

First, he’s close with Burnett.

Second, every team needs glue guys. Even Duke and Kentucky have them. Under JB, we recruited a number of lower rated guys - Morgan, Spike, MAAR, Duncan Robinson - and all of them became important contributors on championship winning teams.

4 Likes

Seriously dude? We have at least 5 open spots and likely more.

6 Likes

Plus if we start landing one and done guys with frequency, we’re going to have spots opening up faster and faster.

Juwan’s been preaching a family atmosphere since the moment he was hired. I think this makes sense. Also, if Jace committing helps get Jett in any way, it’s worth it.

I wouldn’t second-guess this without a lot more information. But I guess I would wonder about timing. Would it have made sense to keep this on the QT until several more highly ranked players were in the fold? I have no doubt the timing WAS discussed, but I would be interested about the rationale.

I don’t mind this at all. Jace is at about the minimum level for a Beilein prospect, should help recruit, and maybe has some potential, who knows. With all the open spots, why not. Not like Juwan is gonna fill each open scholarship with ease.

2 Likes

I’m guessing Jace’s involvement is strategic a couple weeks ahead of the two big official visit weekends. He waited a while…until now…but important to have Jace as a fully functional recruiting ally when Nimari and others are in town.

7 Likes

Well, we do love it when we recruit the kids of former NBA stars. Seems to work out well enough right guys?

This is a good move IMO.

9 Likes

Matt D has updated his top players for the 2020 class http://endlessmotor.net/2020-2-2/

Commits: Zeb Jackson - 68

Targets:
Josh Christopher - 7
Walker Kessler - 9
Isaiah Todd - 11
Nimari Burnett - 18
Henry Coleman - 30
Hunter Dickinson - 31
Jaden Springer - 34
Jaemyn Brakefield - 47
Moses Moody - 52
Lance Ware - 53
Zach Loveday - 58
Scooby Johnson - 132

Let me know if I missed anyone. Will be interested who we go after if our top targets end up elsewhere.

5 Likes

Other notables:
Jalen Suggs - 8
Dawson Garcia - 21 (if this recruitment ever picks up)
Isaiah Jackson - 33 (appears to not be a target at this point)

1 Like

I’ll be more concerned if Juwan doesn’t land Jace. Then Izzo will offer just to cause trouble. That’s how he thinks.

Christopher 6
Suggs 11
Kessler 12
Todd 13
Springer 16
Burnett 27
Williams 28
Ware 33
Dickinson 35
Coleman 36
Moody 43
Brakefield 51
Zeb 63
Scooby 173
Jace Howard 242 (previously unranked, now a 3 star)

4 Likes

Maybe a first look at developing a Plan B board just in case?

2 Likes

Late bloomer across the board. Skinny, late growth spurt and a lot of athleticism. UK and Louisville are interested but haven’t offered. Sounds like WKU and Cincinnati have been involved for a while now.

1 Like

Some general info about other schools visiting Michigan targets.

Also, FYI - Juwan is supposed to visit Kessler today.

6 Likes

Juwan has seemed to make Kessler the top priority from the jump

1 Like

I really hope Kessler decides soon so we can rip that band aid off. Although I do have to give Juwan props in that we seem to have made up a lot of ground there

2 Likes