2020 Recruiting Notes

Alright, this has been a nagging question that I have for folks that are starting to get nervous about the 2020 class: What did you expect recruiting to look like under Howard two months into being HC? We are in on a bunch of 5* dudes (and have made top lists for a lot of them). He is swinging for the fences for recruits but he still has a lot of ground/time to make up. It’s possible that we wiff on all of these guys, but it isnt a forgone conclusion. It would seem foolish to think that we would have gotten a commitment at this stage (although i do give him a lot of credit for getting Franz). The 2020 class still has a lot of time to play out. I am just as nervous as the next guy as this seems to be a pretty defining class for Juwan’s career at Michigan, but let’s let this play out a bit more.

1 Like
5 Likes

I had hoped we could land 1-2 guys without the “wait and see” attitude, but I understand where they are coming from.

In some ways, with Bajema sticking around and Franz committing, we already have a pretty solid group for 2020 even without landing any elite guys.

But by 2021, we need to be landing some new and talented players.

Thus, for me, the product on the court in 2019/2020 may turn out to be far more important than which 2020 kids we land.

3 Likes

Welp, there it is. The Dickie V KOD.

3 Likes

Everyone is fretting over a process that was not of Juwan’s making. The 2020 class may not be a banner class but moving forward Juwan will have the ability to have game tape of what his playing style will be and then he will be able to I feel get some 5 stars

1 Like

6 posts were merged into an existing topic: Michigan offers four-star forward Jaemyn Brakefield

Never much of a serious target, but I wonder if this will become more normal.

1 Like

NBA loves the unknown. …

1 Like

WOW. he better show some very impressive measurable in the combine

It’s a big set of balls required to assert that the path 90% of NBA players took is the wrong path. Curious to know who is paying who for what here.

In general it seems like 2 or 3 kids each class take a “non traditional” route, either private training or overseas professional league. IMO, it’s still a rare outlier until it becomes 8-10 per year?

But, if the NBA continues with its plans to lower the entry age for the Draft, then it is difficult to see why kids would go this route in the future? Instead of just heading directly from HS to the draft.

1 Like

On Scooby’s IG story someone asked him when he was planning on committing and he said “in the next few months maybe”. I’m guessing MSU, Butler or Missouri would be the pick right now. I’d say Butler if I had to pick one. Unless Michigan is moving in silence on this one (which they could), then I’m guessing Michigan is out on this one.

1 Like

Seems to be a lot of consternation at the state of recruiting, but truth is if Michigan even gets just 1 of the elite level recruits it seems to be “in” on, the 2020-21 team has the potential to be really good.

Zeb + 1 Top-30ish recruit.
Returning base of Castelton, Johns, (Livers or Wagner), Bajema, (Dejulius or Brooks)
Add another Freshman in the 75-120 range. Add an instant eligibility Grad Transfer in the spring

That’s a pretty good base to work with in '20-21. That’s assuming one of Livers or Wagner blows up this year and turns pro at season’s end. And one of Dejuliius or Brooks transfers out. So it is not projecting a “perfect storm” of events.

If neither mode of attrition happens OR if Michigan lands more than one Top-50 level recruiting target … then the projected depth becomes pretty impressive.

2 Likes

I will be ecstatic if we land even one of these top 40 guys. Hoping it happens for sure!

1 Like

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Five-star forward Isaiah Todd includes Michigan in top five

Sooooo with the way juwan is recruiting are we going to need hot links to the UK, UNC, and Duke scholarship projections?

1 Like

Not a target, but Evan Mobley (consensus top 2) committed to USC. Where Andy Enfield hired his dad as an assistant coach last year.

1 Like

Emoni Bates the youngest and only 2022👀

2 Likes