2020 NCAA Tournament canceled

Glad I don’t have to deal with the emotions of getting left out of a 16 team tournament

5 Likes

Yeah exactly. Sorry mid majors, sorry Rutgers, sorry Penn State, sorry seniors on tournament teams that weren’t in the top 16.

Honestly, with Kansas and Duke already having bowed out I would think a lot of teams would have taken the same route. They might have had trouble filling a 16 team tournament with teams who even wanted to play.

1 Like

Heartbreaking to see the season come to an end like this, but of course it’s the right thing to do to keep this from getting completely out of control.

Dylan, thanks for a tremendous season of content and analysis, and thank you for giving me the opportunity to contribute over the course of the last month or two. It was such a privilege.

Please stay safe and take of each other, and let’s all hope that by the time we get to November the college hoops season is able to tip off. See you there,

-Tony

11 Likes

Congrats on your 50th anniversary. We had ours in Dec 2018. Its sure special that’s for sure.

2 Likes

I hope they do release a bracket. Although it’s a fairly small consolation, at least it does give official recognition to schools like Rutgers for something they were waiting so long to achieve.

13 Likes

I’m curious what sort of logic that would be. Did they think a 16-team tourney instead of 68 constituted social distancing?

6 Likes

Just a guess, but maybe they were thinking a 2-week tournament (maybe they’d even try to compress it more than that) would be easier to schedule a bit later? In any case, I think the fact that it didn’t happen is … good.

1 Like

Are they considering giving seniors another year of eligibility?

Same month that Evan Boudreaux and his wife celebrated their 75th, if I’m not mistaken.

17 Likes

For athletes in spring sports I think you can make a strong case. They barely got started. For winter sports I think you have to let it go - it was pretty much a season even if the best part got cancelled.

1 Like

There is a thread on that topic already. But I really don’t understand people just jumping to seniors. Any player who missed out on the tournament would have lost the opportunity to play in the tournament 1 of 4 years. If there’s any talk about eligibility it would almost have to go to everyone.

4 Likes

This time for once the NCAA actually considered the welfare of the student athletes, now continue that further, with concern about their mental well being. No one should have the need to argue for what is right. This especially for seniors that didn’t get to the pinnacle of something they worked their entire life for.

Let’s say Liberty’s senior class comes back next year and doesn’t win the ASun tournament like they did this year.

You can’t replay next season as if this one never happened. It won’t be the same.

As for the “mental well being” of student athletes, they (and everyone else in the world) will face far tougher setbacks in life than this.

8 Likes

That’s certainly true. It will be a different year, with a different outcome.

However, if the NCAA does decide to allow seniors in the basketball programs to return if they want, how cool would that be?

We as fans would likely be in for a treat of year, as the level of basketball I would be much higher compared with recent years with more returning upperclassmen. I can only imagine the level of urgency would be through the roof, given what just happened with the tournament cancellations.

Mutiple cases popping up in my area unfortunately. No good. I BLAME GOBERT. DAMN YOU RUDY

@umhoops here’s content until things get closer to normal. “Story time with @silverblue” musings on basketball, Michigan, wine, and wife. In no particular order than one man’s whimsy.

I’ll be hitting 10 years married over the summer. Life is great with the right partner!

5 Likes

Silverblue and Mrs. Silverblue love to hike, too. There was that time at the Huron Mountain Club in the UP! It involves rowing across a lake to an island in the lake, HIKING up the hills and trails on that island and the BEAR that crossed their path…Ahhh, life is so good! Fortunately we managed to escape the bear, and lived to tell whimsical stories of adventures in the idyllic Huron Mountains! :wink::hugs:

2 Likes

It’s not that simple though. What is “right” for the seniors may not be right for the underclassmen who have waited their turn, or the incoming freshmen who were supposed to replace the seniors on the roster. What if you’re a junior and have sat behind a guy 3 years - only to learn that he’s coming back next year?

6 Likes

If people hate transfers now imagine a world where seniors didn’t graduate.

4 Likes