2020 - Forward - Carlos Johnson (Offer)

Manny had more lead guard skills. If comparing to a UM player, more Bernard Robinson than anyone else IMO.

1 Like

Given, Iā€™ve only watched highlights, here are my concerns. He looks stiff athletically. Iā€™m not saying heā€™s a bad athlete but there doesnā€™t seem to as much fluidity to his athleticism compared to other high level players that would be 2ā€™s or 3ā€™s. He seems pretty confident handling the ball and as other people were saying his jump shooting as improved. Will he be able to cover those super athletic and explosive 2ā€™s and 3ā€™s in the Big Ten and guys they see in the tournament?

1 Like

Would be thrilled to get a glue guy like this, especially if the other three 2020 recruits are more hyped for shooting and finesse

Sounds like heā€™s a poor manā€™s Draymond Green.

Iā€™m getting a Jarron Cumberland vibe but admit I havenā€™t watched either player very much.

1 Like
1 Like

Wow, wasnā€™t sure if he would get one or not. Do you think he commits quickly or drags it out for a bit?

This seems like a ā€˜mehā€™ offer to a great kid (off the court) who probably wouldnā€™t play a ton. I think he figures it out and goes elsewhere, unless heā€™s the running through the doors to play at UM type.

1 Like

I disagree. I think Iā€™d compare Scooby to Isaiah Livers in that he will find ways to contribute without having to score. More of a wing version because he isnā€™t quite as tall as Livers. But he has the IQ, toughness and improving skill to be like that.

2 Likes

When I watch, his game seems a lot like Jae Crowder to me.

1 Like

I see why you would say that but odds are he wouldnā€™t get much burn early. Livers and johns will still be here soaking up major minutes his first year.

Give him time to develop and I think he will be a great pick up. Looks like a perfect fit for coach bs System.

1 Like

Didnā€™t say he was instant impact. Just said he will have a Isaiah Livers type impact on the floor if he was at Michigan.

Highlights from Scoobyā€™s most recent game. He had 34 points in the win.

1 Like

Heā€™s not going to be a four like Livers and Johns are, anyway.

Disagree, if he comes to um iā€™ll be pretty surprised if his primary position isnā€™t 4.

Heā€™s 6-6. I really donā€™t see that.

Not sure where heā€™ll play, but I would say the majority of players who have played the four for Michigan under Beilein were probably 6-6 or shorter midway through their junior years.

Iā€™m not sure where exactly Scooby would fit at this point, but I donā€™t know how you can rule out that heā€™d play the four (which is really just a wing position).

If you want to make the argument that most people recruit ā€œas foursā€ eventually end up playing the fiveā€¦ well thatā€™s something else :rofl:

3 Likes

Heā€™s not 6ā€™6 thatā€™s his listed height. At a Nike camp this summer he measured at 6ā€™4.5 with a 6ā€™7.5 wingspan. Itā€™d be really hard to play a kid that short in the Big Ten. Basketball coaches almost always give players a extra inch or more on rosters in AAU and high school. Not sure why because it doesnā€™t really help when coaches get to a gym and see the kid themselves and realize the heights are botched. Maybe they could play him as a 4 if Michigan has big/athletic 3s and 2s alongside him with a solid sized 5 man. But no way you put him out there for extended minutes at the 4 with a standard sized lineup or a small ball lineup. 6ā€™5 and being a ok not great athlete wonā€™t cut it. And heā€™s strong but heā€™s not a tank by any means either. Let me add I think offensively, sure he could play as a 4 because itā€™s a wing for Michigan but defensively the size would worry me.

1 Like

From the limited film I have seen of Carlos Johnson he presents a college ready body, seems to be a jack of all trades maybe not a master of any, but seems to know how to play ( good IQ). I like him and he is home grown. I do not see him as a fall back recruit but a good glue guy who may surprise as he progresses.

In the past few years, though, I think weā€™ve been trending away from smaller fours. DJ Wilson, obviously, was pretty tall and long, and while Iggy is 6-7 (and probably the shortest weā€™re willing to go), heā€™s played decent defense and his size hasnā€™t really been an issue. (It was for Novak and GR3).

As we move into the 2020 class, I have to think Johns moves back to the four, and Livers will be a senior at that position. I say that because we still have Castleton at center, and weā€™re recruiting the center position as well in 2020.

I see Johnson as a three. But he may struggle to play early either way, as Jalen Wilson will be a year ahead of him (and also presumably a three), and I had thought Bajema was more likely to be a three, too.

Even if Johns stays at center, it seems like Wilson at the very least is taller and has more length than Johnson, and would be more likely to guard opposing fours.

Ultimately, these are really good problems to have. We seem to have really turned a corner in recruiting. Win and they will come. And I think weā€™re back competing for the type of guys that we have a great shot with.