2019 - Wing - Romeo Weems (DePaul Commit)

I don’t think he actually ever played for Tim Anderson did he? Maybe trained with him at some point? But he switched to Meanstreets long after Anderson was the program director. Unless Weems had another earlier stint w/ them.

I’m sure you’re right, just a general Meanstreets connection I guess. Also worth noting that DePaul has Coleman-Lands eligible and was better than 3 B1G teams on kenpom last year, so they could put together a decent pitch of early playing time but team on the rise.

I always seem to believe that someone’s pops or an old-as-dirt coach has a huge say when a old fallen once-power like a DePaul gets a top talent.

Lol Rico Beard is still insisting that there is a really good chance that Weems winds up at MSU. Said Weems was only giving a verbal to DePaul and likely wouldn’t sign in November.

MSU “insiders” are the worst. Why would he commit yesterday if he fully intends to go to MSU eventually? It would make zero sense. He very well could end up decommitting from DePaul eventually, but it’s ridiculous to think that Weems believes that in his head today.

3 Likes

I’m sure a Rico is just forecasting that Weems has a change of heart. It would not at all surprised me but I’m sure a lot of it is just wishful thinking from MSU “insiders”

Why would Weems need DePaul to hold his spot? That’s just pride talking, otherwise it sounds like Sparty is trying to put together a better offer. They should tread lightly.

Crowing for two years about the kid being a lock for State. Now they have to justify all that energy they put into a kid who probably just changed his mind one day.

2 Likes

Actually, Sam this morning said that he didn’t think Weems signing with DePaul was a “done deal” either. He said he is sure MSU will continue recruiting him and “rightly so.”

I was on RCMB earlier today. I would think if Weems reads that board he may not give MSU another chance. There were about 18 pages of comments and the last 9 or 10 pages were after Weems committed to DePaul. The first several pages were about the rumors that he was committing to DePaul and Spartan disbelief that it would happen followed by a kind of horrific realization that it was very possibly happening. I just chuckled at many of the comments. :grinning:

2 Likes

I get that you guys want to rag on MSU media guys (and I’m sure they deserve it sometimes), but I said the same thing above. 2019 - Wing - Romeo Weems (DePaul Commit) - #87 by umhoops

I wouldn’t be surprised at all if he de-committed. Commitments that are brokered through an EYBL team switch and new connection to a former-EYBL coach now serving as an assistant don’t always tend to be the longest lasting sorts of arrangements.

1 Like

Yes, you did, and you’re right! This isn’t over. Weems is a huge recruit for MSU. They won’t go away without a fight.

Still, there is a difference between saying “hey, there’s still a long time before signing day and anything can happen” versus “there’s a really good chance that he ends up at MSU.”

2 Likes

Sam Webb was convinced MSU was the pick until the morning of the announcement. Commitments on a whim like that would logically have a lower sticking rate.

Will Dave Leitao have a job in the spring? Will Romeo Weems sign an LOI in November? Will Tim Anderson still have a job at DePaul in the spring? What grassroots team will Weems play with next? If Weems ends up elsewhere, what school is most likely? (MSU)

Just doesn’t seem that far fetched to me that he still ends up at MSU.

Also, he’s a good prospect but I don’t think he’s make or break for MSU’s class. They are shooting for some big fish like Keion Brooks and Vernon Carey. Those are guys that can change a season right away IMO.

1 Like

It’s not the result that’s silly. It’s the delivery. I think most would agree that DePaul was surprising and thought he was gonna go to MSU prior to this week.

However, to say “there is a REALLY good chance” (not just a “chance” or “possibility”) seems like being a homer of the highest degree. If there was a REALLY good chance then why not commit to MSU yesterday instead of DePaul? Also, why rush to commit? Nobody was forcing him to commit and it’s not like these schools are at a scholarship crunch this early in the process.

Do I think he will end up at DePaul? No, probably not, but it’s really silly to say anything definitively literally the day after the commitment was announced.

3 Likes

I know State is involved with Brooks and Carey, but gotta think Indiana for Brooks.

Carey most likely Duke or stays home.

I’d be very surprised if they get either one.

1 Like

I have no reason to actuallt know this but I think MSU gets Carey

I refuse to offer an opinion without input from @CoryR

3 Likes

He’s definitely going to Michigan State.

1 Like

Have they ever gotten a player over both Duke and UK?

1 Like

After reading Rivals, there’s a post claiming to have talked to a few connected people.

Sounds like Weems wasn’t and isn’t going to MSU. Same with Watts. Not feeling thier recruiting methods.

Anyway, take it for what it’s worth

3 Likes