2019 - Wing - Romeo Weems (DePaul Commit)

Can’t believe I’m asking this:

Is there a stream?

1 Like

Got it. Thanks.

Under/Over on number of pump fakes with the hats? I say 2.5.

He’s “taking his talents to DePaul”

The under wins as Weems goes right to the DePaul hat.

Weems says that the desire to go pro was behind his decision to go to DePaul. Right away a reporter mentions that it’s been about 11 years since DePaul produced a pro player. :rofl:

EDIT: When pressed, Weems says it was the relationships with the coaches that caused him to choose DePaul.

2 Likes

Gave a shout out to Tim Anderson, who is the former Meanstreets coach. Will be interesting to see if DePaul can hang onto him or not.

2 Likes

All I know is that the schadenfreude on MSU message boards will be great

4 Likes

Indeed…the second our good news falls the way we expect it to, I’m all over that. Until then… not tempting karma!

1 Like

Also, is it really a likely possibility that Weems would decommit? It feels exceedingly rare that basketball recruits decommit this late in their recruitment. Only one I can think of off the top of my head is Tyus Battle.

Before Dylan pointed me in the right direction for the stream, I looked up Weems’ twitter account. Right away I saw all of these warnings from Sparties to Sparties to not pile on the kid if he happens to commit elsewhere. I know all programs have a similar problem, but this was a surprising amount of self-awareness. Credit where credit is due, I suppose.

Is Weems expected to be an early signee? If he is dead set on DePaul then I imagine he will be but it’ll be interesting to see what happens if DePaul has another crap season and Leitao is shown the door.

Has anyone ever been committed to a school and then not signed in the Fall?

Feels awfully relevant given that it is DePaul and another commitment that was largely brokered based on youth coaching connections (DePaul hired La Lu’s coach).

4 Likes

Yup was going to bring up this exact player. Same school last year led to a decommit before signing

2 Likes

1 Like

In the last 10 seasons Depaul hasn’t won more than 12 games. That makes Rutgers look competent.

1 Like

From a competitive standpoint, DePaul really should withdraw from the Big East and re-join Conference USA, but I’m sure the money from the Big East TV contract will allow them to keep living in their basement apartment.

1 Like

Glad he’s going to DePaul and not Big Ten but hard not to be skeptical when a guy like Weems ends up at a place like DePaul. Doesn’t feel like the FBI investigation is slowing things down much. Vanderbilt is recruiting like they’re Kansas and Kentucky and Duke still get every McDonald’s All American they want. The more things change the more things stay the same.

2 Likes

DePaul has a beautiful campus in a great part of Chicago, a brand new downtown arena, a fair amount of basketball history, is fairly close to home, and has a former coach of his. Meanwhile, MSU, his longtime favorite, is mired in multiple potential investigations and disasters that could derail the program. Doesn’t seem so crazy to me.

2 Likes