2019 - Wing - Franz Wagner (Commit)

Nice job Silver…GO BLUE!

1 Like

(looking for the Austin Davis appreciation thread…)

4 Likes

My gut tells me he stays in Germany or transfers to a bigger league in Europe. He’s already got more exposure than Moe ever had, partly due to Moe I suppose. He doesn’t seem to be that interested in coming over here.

For his talent level, playing college in US is still the best path towards NBA, and he gets good education too. Moving to a bigger league in Europe certainly will make the education part more difficult. Greece has a better league yet Giannis’s not-so-little brother came to play for Dayton.

Strength, nutrition and conditioning programs are also much better in the US.

Interesting point re Giannis. Maybe that would tilt the field toward a West coast school near LA.

1 Like

Giannis’s brother lived with him when he came to the states, thats a totally different situation

I mean Moe makes trips back to Ann Arbor semi regularly. He doesn’t go back to Germany when they get breaks. He heads to Ann Arbor. He’s already been back in town a couple times since the start of the year. If Michigan somehow managed to bring in Franz, I think he’d be ok living in Ann Arbor because Moe would see him a few times. Plus, Moe could just fly Franz out to him wherever he is across the country. And honestly if Franz is open to moving across the world to the US I don’t think he will be too picky regarding being in LA or not. From my perspective it seems like it’s Michigan or staying overseas for him. I’d love to bring Franz in but not sure I’d be thrilled if it means Iggy leaving.

2 Likes

I think it’s looking like if JP leaves it’ll be Lester or a grad transfer to replace him/his production, if Iggy leaves it’s all-in on pushing for Franz in the spring, if there’s any transfers it’s probably best available/willing player.

Lots of variables for bringing in any more guys. Just a wait and see approach until at least a week after the season ends.

2 Likes

They could pitch him on competing for the starting spot that Matthews had. Livers could still have the super sub role. Bajema is a year away and Wilson doesn’t look as ready to contribute as Wagner. So, I think there’d be plenty of minutes potentially available that he could compete for even if both Iggy and Poole return. Plus, the strength and conditioning and nutrition and facilities are probably better at U of M then the league he is currently in.

There’s a handful of transfer candidates that could open up a scholarship too.

1 Like

How do you know this? I find it hard to believe that with all the money invested in soccer, that they don’t have cutting edge training. That should translate to basketball since many clubs are multi-sport, multi-level.

1 Like

With Iggy out, I’d love to see Franz get that spot.

5 Likes
1 Like

Very skilled. (And very skinny!)

WANT

Question is can he fill in as a two at times or only 3/4

1 Like

Yes, please. C’mon Moe! Convince your bro to play college ball in the states!

Wagner only playing a small part for the senior team but he played 11 minutes last night in the Eurocup final, that’s basically the No. 2 European competition cup out there. Playing against grown men, notable.

4 Likes

Other interesting bits I was able to get from the box score and roster. Those 2 points were the only ones Franz scored in the game.

Franz is listed at 2.03 meters vs 2.01 earlier in the year. 2.03 meters is just a hair under 6’ 8" versus 6’ 7" earlier in the season.

Next youngest player is 19 versus Franz being 17.

Also it appears that Derrick Walton Jr. is not on the active roster for this championship for some perspective.

I would love to see him in Ann Arbor later this year.

Walton not able to play in Euro comps, just domestic games because he wasnt on the roster earlier this year