2019 - Wing - Franz Wagner (Commit)

Is that figuring Austin Davis returning or leaving?

You said I wasn’t correct, then you basically repeated what I said.

Matthews AND someone else have to leave before we will have an open spot in the 2019 class. How is that not correct? We are currently one over, so if ONLY Matthews leaves, we will be at 13, with no extra spots. Smh

Is Davis a Redshirt Junior or Soph?

Oh my bad. I’m not the sharpest tool in the shed. My apologies

Davis is a redshirt sophomore. I usually don’t get into these “who’s gonna transfer/who’s staying” discussions, but here’s my two cents, and please correct me if I’m wrong about the transfer rule, or the staus of Davis’ eligibility.

I don’t think it would make much sense for Austin Davis to transfer unless two things are effecting such a decision. 1. He is highly motivated by the opportunity for more playing time, and doesn’t see that happening here at Michigan. 2. He will graduate this year, his third year at Michigan. I think both of these points are very important and must be taken together.

Let’s take number two first. If he was on track to graduate in the summer of 2019, which would be a year early, he would then be eligible for a grad transfer, and he would have two years of eligibility remaining. If he is not on track to graduate this summer, and, let’s say, not in a position to make that happen, he would have to sit a year under the transfer rule. At least I believe that to be the case. Please respectfully correct me if I’m wrong. He already used a redshirt year during his freshman year.

If Austin transferred but had to sit out a year, he would certainly not get more opportunity to play next year than he would at Michigan, because he wouldn’t play at all. He would essentially be a practice player. Now, his senior year, he would be a fifth year senior, he could potentially play a lot more than he would at Michigan. Or would he? Well, we really don’t know that. We may think we do. We may speculate, but we really don’t know.

I don’t want to debate this, and frankly, I won’t, but if he stayed at Michigan for all five years he could conceivably improve to the point he would be a “rotation” player and play a fair amount. Again, don’t want to start a debate because I think those kinds of decisions rightfully belong with Austin Davis and his family, and with Coach Beilein and his staff, and not with those of us on a public message board who seem to love to speculate and analyze such things. But if he’s not graduating this year, I don’t think he’s transferring.

Now, let’s look at point number one from above. Is Austin Davis highly motivated by the possibility of a lot more playing time…even if elsewhere. Maybe. But from what I know of Austin, he loves Michigan, our coaching staff, and his teammates, and they love him, too. He WANTS to be at Michigan.

As we all know, and has been documented on this and other message boards, Austin wasn’t highly recruited. Coach B took him because he is 6’10, could do some nice things around the basket, he had potential, AND he LOVED Michigan and was ready to “break down the door” to come here. Coach B wants kids who fit the culture, and who WANT to come to Michigan.

So, I just don’t think AD is a strong candidate to transfer. For now, while I’m sure he’d like to play more, for the TEAM, I think he just loves what he has at Michigan, a great culture, a terrific coaching staff, wonderful teammates, THE University of Michigan for gosh sakes, and eventually that Michigan degree. I think he relishes the fact that he is an important cog on a team that competes for B1G Championships, makes the NCAA Tournament, plays in the Sweet Sixteen, and hopefully beyond, and has the best gosh darn water fight locker room celebrations out there!

And make no mistake about it, Austin Davis is an important cog in our success. He goes to practice everyday, works his tail off, and MAKES EVERYONE BETTER with his effort, even if it is as a scout team player or simply as someone who bangs with JT, and now Colin, everyday. He IS important to our success. I’m pretty sure his teammates and his coaching staff know that, even if some of us fail to acknowledge that as being particularly important.

I think AD will be at Michigan again next year. He’s the kind of young man successful programs need. Then after he graduates with his class in 2020, with X and JT, maybe he’ll take a grad transfer for his fifth year, depending on what he and Coach B decide. And I think THAT is a definite possibility, but that’s between him and Coach B.

That’s just what I think. And I really don’t want to debate it…not on a public forum…not on a topic about which, as a fan, I have no control, nor should I. If anyone on here wants to discuss it further with me, I’d welcome a private message discussion but not a public forum debate. If you want to discuss Autin’s importance to the team, I will do that with you in a private message. :slightly_smiling_face:

Now, if I’m wrong about the transfer rule, please let me know. Thanks!

7 Likes

All noted the only thing that through me off was when Coach told Davis to take the lead in post game celebration and called him an upperclassman.

Sort made me scratch my head was all…

“I don’t usually get into these but here’s 2,000 words, some randomly capitalized, on Austin Davis!” :rofl:

1 Like

Its a cipher!

2 Likes

Thanks for such a thorough write-up about Austin Davis.

When I asked about AD returning, I got mixed up about his class year; was thinking he was a redshirt Junior, and would graduate this year, rather than Redshirt Sophomore. My bad!

It certainly is awesome having athletes on the team that love Michigan, and love being here! Thank you!

2 Likes

BRAVO! Outstanding summary, and for what it’s worth, I agree with you 100%.

3 Likes

Granted, it was lengthy, but it was well written and apparently needed to be said.
It was worth reading. Moreso, than some of the short snarky comments that are posted on this forum. If the shoe fits…

2 Likes

I mean, he is an upperclassman. This is his third year at Michigan.

1 Like

Geez, a lot of thin skin exposed for merely pointing out I thought it was funny for how it started with a declaration and then completely went the opposite way. Don’t take an online forum so serious!

And for what it’s worth it’s been proven that time and time again the scholarship situation figures itself out and we really have no idea what the coaches or players are thinking when it comes to potential roster attrition. It really is a tired subject when we have a team heading to the sweet 16.

3 Likes

It is, nswan. It’s a secret code only those who know me can truly understand! :grinning: I’m truly sorry that a few folks, maybe more than a few, wasted their time reading it. Those folks I’m sure will never understand. Perhaps they should just not read anything I write. :wink:

3 Likes

Has there even been whispers that he wants to play college basketball? Anyone else recruiting him?

There was an article posted somewhere in this thread talking about it before it went way off topic.

3 Likes

Yes, this article was posted 20 days ago by gobluemd16 and was originally, I believe, on 247 Sports, maybe Michigan Insider. Then seven days ago, there was a nice article posted by chezaroo, and another by PAX 23 hours ago. Certainly a lot of great content on Franz.

He would certainly be a great addition if he wanted to come, and if we had room. Time will tell. In the meantime, let’s beat Texas Tech! :grinning:

1 Like

Yes, at least Stanford and Butler. I would guess if he makes it known he wants to come to the states, there will be others!

I have been pushing AD spring/summer graduation on other sites. Based on past experiences, he would have been presented at Senior night. But, if it is a summer graduation, maybe coach withheld the ceremony because AD has work to do.

I have to imagine there already are others involved. The kids too good and there’s no element of surprise due to Moe.

1 Like