2019 Transfer Market

Yeah, I think that obviously happens a lot. There are great reasons to go to JUCO’s or Community Colleges, and then transfer to a four year school. But I also think some of the attrition is just kids (regular students) dropping out of school.

In my limited sample. I personally started college (regular student) and finished at the same school. My wife dropped out of college after three years to marry some idiot! Forty- nine years later she’s married to the same idiot!

As for my children, my oldest daughter (regular student) dropped out of a four year school after two years. She went back five years later, graduated, went to law school and is now fairly well known on a national level as a Child Welfare Attorney and a Counselor (legal) for Children.

My son (college athlete, minor sport) transferred after his freshman year (variety of reasons, some not very good, girlfriend, ugh!), played at the next school for two years, dropped out to turn pro. Realized that wasn’t gonna work, went to a third school, and now has his PhD.

My youngest daughter (regular student, or non student as the case may be!) dropped out of college after her freshman year and has, sadly, never returned.

So to summarize my experience. One athlete who transferred, had some success at his new school, but, frankly, has had more success in life as a result of his advanced degrees. Two kids who dropped out (three actually, including my son) one of whom never went back, two who did and finished.

The two who dropped out and went back got advanced degrees and are very successful professionally. College degrees are GOOD things, advanced degrees can be even better!

The one who dropped out and never returned does excellent work in a “helping” field but economically is not as comfortable or as successful as her older brother and sister. BUT, she gave us the greatest gift we’ve ever received, our “Special” needs granddaughter, who’s playing at my feet right now as I type this!

So, back to my original premise, there are some kids, and I think a fair amount, who just drop out of college for whatever reason, some of whom never return. My suggestion, of course, is don’t drop out, but if you do, go back and finish. :smiley:

Well for me I played 2 years JUCO basketball and then rather than playing 2 years elsewhere I just chose to stay where I was at since Central Michigan University and Mid Michigan college are both in Mt. Pleasant. Stayed in my same apartment and all my credits transferred as a student.

1 Like

I got one of my Master’s from CMU, Braeden! Fire up Chips!

I also transferred halfway through my undergrad career, from an expensive private school to a somewhat less expensive public school. If I had a full scholarship I probably wouldn’t have transferred (though I was much happier in Ann Arbor than Chicago). Of course D-1 basketball players are usually moving from one full scholarship to another, so their situation would be much more analogous to a student changing majors and transferring from a liberal arts school to an engineering school.

I had a player once who transferred from our expensive private school to a large public university. As a freshman he played for us, and was pretty much our sixth man, so he really did get quite a bit of playing time. I had recruited him really hard as the JV coach, and we were able to put together a nice academic aid package for him, but our school was still more expensive than the four year public school.

After transferring from our school, he never played “organized” basketball again. In talking to him several years later he regretted not continuing to play college basketball, but, frankly, he loved his time at the university he chose, and he’s a success in life now. I was disappointed when he left, but I’m happy it all worked out for him. Great kid.

I often wondered if I over sold him on our program. I certainly didn’t promise him anything. Well, certainly not that he would be a starter right away, and he did play a lot that freshman year as sixth, maaaybe seventh man on our varsity. Some things don’t work out the way we had hoped they would. I’m glad, in the end, things worked out for him.

I had another kid that we recruited REALLY hard and it came down to us and the BEST division three program in our state. He chose the other school.

A few years later, while vacationing up north in our favorite place in the world, we were having breakfast in a local restaurant and he was our waiter. He had stuck it out at the other school but he hadn’t played much. I’m not sure he even played his senior year. We talked a bit and he told me he should have gone to our school. I told him we were sorry he didn’t. I think he would have had a very good college basketball career playing for us. But who knows.

Thomas Allen heading back closer to home to NC State. Nebraska currently has eight players that are under scholarship for next year: six returnees and two newcomers.

Also just a follow-up:

Nothing from Michigan or any other Big Ten school about Keeling.

Just an interesting note. Duquesne has three players from Michigan, two are now looking to transfer. Williams was their best player, averaged fourteen points and 7.6 boards with 37% three point shooting. Wade is from Ann Arbor, his younger brother Ryan is going to Holy Cross next season.

With ncaa handing out hardship waivers like candy Williams is pretty intriguing. He’s especially intriguing if Poole goes.

Per 24/7/Sam Webb… Michigan has reached out to Rayjon Tucker… dunno if this rehashing or signs talks moving forward

1 Like

good to hear. He’s definitely the best fit

1 Like

Trae Jefferson?

From TSU? Can’t see it. Don’t have the need for a 5’7" scoring guard that’s butted heads with his head coach previously. Super talented though, thought he was gonna follow Davis to Detroit.

Also RE: Tucker, not sure when Webb/24/7 said that but he was definitely contacted by Michigan early-ish on. The last update I had was that he wasn’t considering Michigan (Goodman article on transfers) but that could’ve changed.

Things have been sorta quiet on the transfer front lately.

Tucker looks like a great fit. Given what we’ve got in upperclassmen next year, it would be great to find a serious outside threat from 3 for SG in the transfer market. Ideal not to have to rely on the youngsters.

1 Like

Another potentially interesting grad transfer… hopefully they pursue this one because he would be a great fit

1 Like

@umhoops we’ve seen a decent bit more buzz around Michigan looking at class of 19 kids as opposed to grad transfers thus far, any particular reason you think that may be the case?

No idea what The Hub Chicago is, but Pierce is obviously a natural Brazdeikis replacement.

Film, shot chart, etc. here

4 Likes

Don’t know how much relationships will matter but our situation basketball wise is much better than Notre dames.

1 Like

Which is exactly why the guy will commit to Notre Dame.

2 Likes