2019 Transfer Market

Some video, stats, shot charts of names U-M has been linked to.

Could be an interesting name

Can’t see us with 4 6’0" guards on the roster at one time. Maybe Brooks or DDJ transfer, but I’d rather keep DDJ and give him Brooks’ minutes than add Hazzard.

1 Like

Old target back on the market

To be fair, Hazzard played mostly off-guard for UCI this season. Definite scoring guard. I think it’s always interesting that Beilein looks at guys like Procter from HPU and probably will have a look at him even vaguely, but still we’ve yet to see him play super heavily with two PGs. Maybe we’ll see more of that with Z and Brooks next year if Poole leaves.

Both of the most well-known jelly fam guys transferring this season.

Interesting tidbit on pierce, Brian snow said a ton of schools have reached out but have gotten a strong sense pierce already knows where he wants to go. If true probably means he is waiting to see if the school has room. Um would fit that criteria.

Pierce is my number one want of players listing Michigan as interest. The drop in production from sophomore-to-junior is a bit concerning, but his athleticism is REAL nice. If anyone can help him get back to ~40% from three, it’s gotta be Beilein.

EDIT: That said, I’ve seen mainly Notre Dame buzz surrounding him. Brey already visited him even. Chicago-area kid too. Notre Dame is my guess.

1 Like

This is not surprising. Quinerly only went to Nova after the Arizona FBI stuff (supposedly he was “Player-5” and was given $15,000) and was clearly not happy in Philly.

3 Likes
1 Like

Michigan not listed as a school Tucker is considering any more.

Justin Pierce is my top take

Pierce looks like a typical Beilein kid. I hope he picks UM, if they have room

1 Like

Nate Sestina commits to Kentucky. Real quick recruitment for the grad transfer.

“Nearly 40 percent of Division I men’s basketball players who arrive from high school will transfer by the end of their sophomore year, according to N.C.A.A. data from 2011 to 2017. Owens and Mooney, now in the Final Four, were in that group.”

I know I’ve said before that the grad transfer rule has been worked around by almost every single athlete that has use it. I don’t really have an issue with athletes transferring during the middle of their careers. There are many reasons, want more playing time or a more prominent role and/or the coach forces them out (which happens more than we know).

Does anyone have any data stating what is the transfer rate for normal students? I can’t see it from being too far off what the transfer rate for basketball players or athletes are.

A 2015 study said that about 37% of college students transfer atleast once in their college careers. Although that seems absurdly high to me. I presume that number is not limited to students transferring from 4 year institutions.

Oh I’m sure it’s pretty close to the transfer rate of athletes. Half my dorm hall was gone after my freshman year.

I am fine with allowing free transfers as long as it’s not a conference team or an opponent on your previous team’s regular season schedule the next year. I think they should have to sit out a year if it’s within the conference and sit out the game if it’s just a nonconference opponent.

This is all contingent on an athlete being in good academic standing. If a student is failing out of school, they should sit out a year. Regular students aren’t limited in activities if they transfer unless their credits aren’t in order or they were doing poorly. Same should be true for student athletes IMO.

That’s an intriguing angle. I myself transferred from a JUCO to a 4 year after 2 years. Was out of necessity though.