2016 Point Guard Recruiting (Xavier Simpson)

Fair or not, he is going to impact the direction of the program like no other potential recruit. If he happens to commit early we will undoubtedly have broken down the door to other top 25s following him. If he goes elsewhere we will still be trying to get that “franchise” talent that can influence others.

I do agree, chezaroo, though I did think the same about Mitch and he doesn’t seem to have had that impact despite the success, at least yet. Perhaps because of the injury, etc.

Jamal Murray offered by IU, Missouri with interest from Duke

Duke is worrisome but HoopsHypeCanda says it will be between Syracuse, MSU or UM and maybe Illinois. Murray wants to be close to home as possible, hence why he hasn’t left for a US prep. Missouri hired Montaque Gil Caesar’s HS coach so they are going after his Canadian teammates. I really hope Murray gets an offer soon.

Duke enters the Derryck Thornton mix officially

I pray wer’re not in for heartbreak on this one

So the Dennis Smith Jr rumors are true.

Also, Coach K is the biggest fan of Coach Beilein

Plays UM a few years and now Duke is 4 out, 1 in… he claims it was team USA lol

Murray, Kennard, Thornton Jr, Leaf, etc… his staff isn’t even hiding it and makes Cal seem tame.

I hope JB returns the favor. Ramp up interest in Dennis Smith Jr and go after Kobi Simmons.

Some insight http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=167&f=1386&t=13021337

Welp.

Would love to see an early commit from this class (Thornton if I had my wish) to help recruit some of studs (Battle, Leaf, Murray, ect.).

Welp.
Welp what?
Welp.
Welp what?

I detailed this in a previous post, but in short: our top two targets of the past two recruiting cycles (who we had both been on very early), jumped on offers from UK and Duke respectively once they got 'em. That’s a trend. McGary is the only recruit in my memory that has shunned Duke for UM.

DTJr is the #1 recruit on our board who we have been on for awhile, and he now has BOTH Duke and UK offers. Given DTJr’s friendship with Battle (who is very high on Duke) and desire to play together with him, that doesn’t exactly play well in our favor. It’s still early, though, and M’s recent PG success and the Jeff Meyer factor level the playing field somewhat. I suppose I’m just accustomed to losing to Duke both on the court and on the recruiting front… sigh.

However, as I mentioned before, the 2016 PG position doesn’t concern me terribly. Though I would LOVE to have a player as skilled as DTJr, either way we will get a talented PG, he will be a good fit, and we will develop the hell out of him.

Thanks. I missed your earlier post. I’m going to remain optimistic with Thornton. Although I won’t expect anything (other than we get a very solid PG and we’ll continue to win).

Pretty comprehensive look at Devearl Ramsey http://www.theintentionalfoul.com/2014/08/malik-newman-team-usa-scouting-report.html

Contrary to reports, Duke still coming hard after Dennis Smith. That is a thing of beauty for UM fans.

Dennis Smith told me that NC State and Duke are pushing hard for him, but Arizona is in the picture and he plans to visit next year.

— Joseph Duruaku (@josephgoazcats) August 1, 2014

Absolutely nothing to the rumors that Duke and Dennis Smith have cooled on one another. Smith remains highly interested in Duke.

— Blue Devil Nation (@BlueDevilNation) August 1, 2014

Nope. Dennis Smith has interest but Duke doesn’t.

Well, that’s according to Smith himself yesterday…not saying its necessarily true, but that is what Smith is reporting.

Yeah, he has interest in Duke but it is not mutual. Multiple Duke sites have confirmed this.