2016-17 Roster; 2017 priorities

Davis' latest comments are that he's '16 and he's not prepping.

Exactly. Not sure why people are still harping on this. Davis is in for 2016. As far as attrition, if Wilson and/or Wagner are any good at all, I see Donnal getting minimal playing time, seeing the writing on the wall with Teske and Davis coming in, and going elsewhere for his last two years. Irvin has a shot to leave early, and I suppose it’s not totally impossible that Dawkins or Walton would blow up this year and enter the draft, though that seems less likely, especially in Walton’s case.

I wouldn’t expect him to necessarily say anything else at this point until something happens that forces him to pull the trigger. Regardless, either scenario (him prepping, or him staying in 2016) seems feasible inside the numbers somehow going forward, just a matter of figuring out exactly how they will work.

Need a scoring wing/defender in 2017.

No. Davis’s latest comments are that he “plans” to be at Michigan in '16, not that he will not prep if he needs to. He “plans” to be because he expects, as most do, attrition. However, if there is no attrition, he has been talked to about prepping and agreed–this is not a guess. No one will be given “the bum’s rush”–I expect, however, that someone(s) will leave of his own accord.

Why would a player commit in early 2015 and delay until 2017 when he could go 2016? Seems like it was a quick decision to commit when you could keep your options open and see what other offers come through.

Why would a player commit in early 2015 and delay until 2017 when he could go 2016? Seems like it was a quick decision to commit when you could keep your options open and see what other offers come through.

I guess he really wanted to commit to the school he committed to.

I guess he really wanted to commit to the school he committed to.

Obviously I just can’t see the appeal of a coach offering a player a scholarship 18 months before signing day but of the belief he’s not good enough to play his first year and tells him to delay entrance a year and wait 24 months to sign. I would tell that coach to pound salt and find another charity case.

As I have learned time and time again in recruiting, particularly basketball, my own rationale of how I approach a decision rarely lines up with high schoolers these days.

I for one am happy to see Matt D back! I never thought I’d say this but I missed you, man! This board, quite honestly, has been pretty boring since you’ve been gone. Then, too, there hasn’t been much to discuss. Welcome back!

Why wouldn’t we have a shot at Wilkes? We have a good history of pulling guys out of Indiana.

Why wouldn't we have a shot at Wilkes? We have a good history of pulling guys out of Indiana.

But not a great history of grabbing top flight kids.

Who knows about Wilkes. Would be great, I’m just a bit down on the top kids subject. Don’t mind me. Lol

I for one am happy to see Matt D back! I never thought I'd say this but I missed you, man! This board, quite honestly, has been pretty boring since you've been gone. Then, too, there hasn't been much to discuss. Welcome back!

Same, I don’t post but I do enjoy reading his player analyses. We definitely need him back on our '15 UMHoops roster.

Matt D just has much higher standard than we average basketball fans. When he says someone is above or below “average”. The average is taken over top 10 recruits at that position, or starters in top 25 teams. When he says “elite”, it is at the level of NBA all stars, or maybe starters of NBA all star games. If you adjust to his standard, his statement suddenly makes sense.

Think it is too early to pigeon hole position requirements and keep a wide net in 2017.
At this point, it's hard to know what our weaknesses will be. We have so much versatility, especially at the 3/4 positions. But 2 things seem clear to me: (1) we don't need a 5 (with Doyle, Teske, and Davis there) and (2) we definitely need either a PG or Combo. I think ideally we'd like a 3-man rotation at the 1&2 and at this point we'll only have PG Simpson, 2G Abdur-Rahkman, and 2G Watson. I guess...unless Dawkins or Chatman improve their 2G skills. And come to think of it, I would hope both are working hard on their lateral quickness and ball-handling, Chatman on his shooting and Dawkins on his vision in order to make every effort to be able to cover the 2G spot as upperclassmen. And I hope Abdur-Rahkman is working on his PG skills. But I wouldn't count on any of that happening, which is why I say we need to get either a PG or Combo in 2017. After that, get the best non-5 you can get, someone who is an instant impact player. Our rivals will try to say Michigan will have tons of upperclassmen talent, but our coaches will have to sell that we need a NBA-type talent on the roster.