2015 PF/C Elijah Thomas was at the Minnesota Game 1/2/14

Again, I thought you would offer that answer.

Thad Matta took OSU from from horrible to great literally within 2-3 years. They are now a consistent powerhouse and are always expected to compete for a national title. OSU recruiting is great. Can we not expect to be on par with OSU on the court and on the recruiting trail?

At some point your excuses have to cease, and reality needs to kick in. If you intend to be a great program you need great players, plain and simple. And, if the coaching/recruiting is that good, then you’ll eventually see the recruiting profile and on court product reflect that.

Why does being on par with OSU on the recruiting trail matter one lick?..

If we’re on par with them on the court…nothing else matters. I don’t care if they get the #1-5 top recruits in the nation every year and we get #1000-1005 if the results on the court are on par.

The results aren’t exactly on par YET

That’s beside the point and a completely different argument. Which…I’d say they’re fairly close considering the situations when each took over. Exact? No. But neither were the state of the program when either took over.

Thad Matta took OSU from from horrible to great literally within 2-3 years. They are now a consistent powerhouse and are always expected to compete for a national title. OSU recruiting is great. Can we not expect to be on par with OSU on the court and on the recruiting trail?

At some point your excuses have to cease, and reality needs to kick in. If you intend to be a great program you need great players, plain and simple. And, if the coaching/recruiting is that good, then you’ll eventually see the recruiting profile and on court product reflect that.

If we’re on par with them on the court…nothing else matters. I don’t care if they get the #1-5 top recruits in the nation every year and we get #1000-1005 if the results on the court are on par.

Did you not see the portion of my post that clearly states we should be on the same level as OSU on the court. I agree that on court results are what truly matters, but reality is that wins and losses have a strong correlation with recruiting success in most cases.

And for the record, we’re not on the same level as OSU in terms of on court production. OSU has maintained their status as a legit contender for a title for the better part of the last decade, while we’ve literally had ONE season where we can legitimately make that claim. I’d say that’s a pretty large discrepancy.

Did you not see the portion of my post that clearly states we should be on the same level as OSU on the court. I agree that on court results are what truly matters, but reality is that wins and losses have a strong correlation with recruiting success in most cases.

And for the record, we’re not on the same level as OSU in terms of on court production. OSU has maintained their status as a legit contender for a title for the better part of the last decade, while we’ve literally had ONE season where we can legitimately make that claim. I’d say that’s a pretty large discrepancy.

I did see that. And again for you, recruiting doesn’t mean anything if you’re going to compare on court results anyway. That’s why I asked. Sorry you missed that understanding.

For the record, since this is all recorded and matters so much, if we’re comparing Matta vs. Beilein, I’d say Beilein is holding his own considering the situations when each took over their programs.

I did see that. And again for you, recruiting doesn’t mean anything if you’re going to compare on court results anyway. That’s why I asked. Sorry you missed that understanding.

For the record, since this is all recorded and matters so much, if we’re comparing Matta vs. Beilein, I’d say Beilein is holding his own considering the situations when each took over their programs.

You’re right, maybe we should consider the situations when each respective coach took over.

Let’s take a look here:

Michigan - in the 5 seasons prior to JB’s arrival (Amaker tenure) and subsequent to the 2002 self imposed/NCAA supported sanctions, Michigan went 98-65 with 4 of those 5 seasons at or above .500 in the Big Ten. Since that time Michigan has gone 130 - 89 in 6 complete seasons with 4 of those seasons being at or above .500 in the Big Ten.

OSU - in the 2 seasons prior to Matta’s arrival (O’Brien tenure) and subsequent to the investigation of OSU/Boban Sovavic went 31 -31 , with neither of those seasons being at or above .500 in the Big Tne. Since that time OSU has gone 250-72 in nine complete seasons while being above .500 in the Big Ten in all 9 of those seasons.

Seems to me that Matta actually inherited a situation less favorable then Belien, and has certainly done more over his tenure at OSU relative to JB at Michigan.

All I can do is laugh to be honest…

You’re right, maybe we should consider the situations when each respective coach took over.

Let’s take a look here:

Michigan - in the 5 seasons prior to JB’s arrival (Amaker tenure) and subsequent to the 2002 self imposed/NCAA supported sanctions, Michigan went 98-65 with 4 of those 5 seasons at or above .500 in the Big Ten. Since that time Michigan has gone 130 - 89 in 6 complete seasons with 4 of those seasons being at or above .500 in the Big Ten.

OSU - in the 2 seasons prior to Matta’s arrival (O’Brien tenure) and subsequent to the investigation of OSU/Boban Sovavic went 31 -31 , with neither of those seasons being at or above .500 in the Big Tne. Since that time OSU has gone 250-72 in nine complete seasons while being above .500 in the Big Ten in all 9 of those seasons.

Seems to me that Matta actually inherited a situation less favorable then Belien, and has certainly done more over his tenure at OSU relative to JB at Michigan.

All I can do is laugh to be honest…

Both Michigan and OSU had NCAA issues recently. Michigan hadn’t been to the NCAA tourney in 10 years, let alone a Final Four. At least OSU made a Final Four in O’Brien’s tenure.

I didn’t say they were exact but both coaches made a Final Four within their first 5 years.

Just for clarification, Matta actually made the final four within 5 years, and JB didn’t.

Just for clarification, Matta actually made the final four within 5 years, and JB didn't.

yeah…preeetty much the same thing there buddy

Actually, it’s not. If that’s the case, we pretty much won the national championship last year…only we didn’t.

Actually, it's not. If that's the case, we pretty much won the national championship last year.............only we didn't.

For our discussion’s purposes, it’s basically the same thing.
Don’t be like that dude.

Ok, you win.

Tons of big combo guards out there : Perry Dozier Jr, Jalen Coleman, Justin Simon, Haanif Cheatnam, Antonio Blakeney, Dwayne Bacon, Luke Kennard, William Jackson, Tyler Dorsey, AJ Turner, Eric Davis

Let’s grab one of these guys. Find a true big man. Replace any early entry (Caris, Zak, Nik) with another one out of this list. Get Winston or Thorton in 2016 and they can learn under a senior Walton. Anyone object? I know some love Brunson but he only has utility at one position, which is currently crowded.

I’m not a big fan of Brunson, I’ve been saying that since the summer. Definitely a nice shooter, but i question his athleticism on a high major level. I can definitely see him having some problems on the defensive end, and that is the last thing We need is giving up penetration to quicker guards considering our lack of shot blocking and lateral mobility from our current and incoming bigs.

I'm not a big fan of Brunson, I've been saying that since the summer. Definitely a nice shooter, but i question his athleticism on a high major level. I can definitely see him having some problems on the defensive end, and that is the last thing We need is giving up penetration to quicker guards considering our lack of shot blocking and lateral mobility from our current and incoming bigs.

I like Brunson. Reminds me of Trey but he would sit behind Walton and Spike his freshmen year where we could use a combo and bigman who would actually see minutes. Not to mention Cassius Winston and Derryck Thornton are out there in 2016.