2015 Guard Kenny Williams decommits from VCU

Hey guys… Been on vacation last few days (still am actually).

Trying to dig a little more into the situation, but there’s a lot of U-M smoke regarding Williams, mostly coming from people around Virginia. Not sure the release from his LOI is official at this point, one reason for a lot of the silence. It’s also why these things can be sensitive situations.

We’ll share more as we can.

Maybe this is the Caris insurance plan, but I have a hard time seeing us grab him with Caris also back in the fold.

As expected JB at Boo Williams

Looks like UM is interested in Kenny Williams. I like how Beilein is keeping all options open, because you just never know who is commiting where or who stays.

UM has not made any contact with Williams or his camp. Looks the reports of Williams to UM were a bit premature. Needs official release before any contact is even made

So, they’ve asked for his release, which means interest. Once they get it they’ll go from there, but we don’t know if there’s a scholly available. Or how interested he is.

So, they've asked for his release, which means interest. Once they get it they'll go from there, but we don't know if there's a scholly available. Or how interested *he* is.

UM has NOT asked for Williams release…Williams is simply waiting to get official clearance.

‘Manns told MLive on Friday that Williams has been granted his release from VCU but “(Michigan) hasn’t reached out or anything because they don’t have his release.” Per NCAA rules, a nullified National Letter of Intent needs to be approved by the compliance offices of a recruit’s initial school and future destination’

Also:
Michigan is not going to do anything until they get the official release from Kenny and from VCU, and once they get that, they’ll let us know what the level of interest is.

This implies they’re waiting for the release, and I don’t think he would send it if they didn’t ask. I think the “hasn’t reached out” would mean they have done anything beyond ask for his release. Otherwise it would be saying they haven’t asked for his release because they don’t have his release, which makes no sense.
Dylan said there’s all sorts of activity, but it’s sensitive, etc. There has to be interest, but I highly doubt they’ll do anything with Hatch’s scholly, so they kind of have to be in wait and see mode.

I definitely read the interest in Williams as a Caris contingency. Hope they would find room for Brown though if he decided on UM (long shot)

Brendan F. Quinn @BFQuinn
John Beilein to visit 4-star guard Kenny Williams this weekend http://www.mlive.com/wolverines/index.ssf/2015/04/john_beilein_to_visit_4-star_g.html

(Btw somebody will need to teach me how to make tweets actually appear normally)

There we go. Something solid. And Quinn bills himself as the anti-speculator.

He’s got some really good schools interested in him. UNC, UVA, Georgetown & Michigan. Beilein is obviously very serious if he’s going to visit him this weekend. Not sure what our chances are but interesting to see them going strong after another '15 kid.

So it appears that Williams will be choosing between UVa, UNC, Georgetown, and Michigan.

It seems as if some on here don’t want Williams. If we take him only because of Caris leaving and no other attrition–meaning we won’t theoretically have any available scholarships for 2016–I can understand the concern. But if we are looking at him because either Wagner won’t qualify or because Hatch will be placed on medical scholarship (or any other non-rising senior attrition), I think he would be a great get. Plus, we’d still be able to land a true creator in the '16 class.

I have only seen a couple of videos, but from what I can gather: He’s a great shooter, both off the bounce and in spot-up situations. He’s not an explosive athlete, but he has a decent first step and can get in the lane a little bit. He seems to finish well around the rim (although it remains to be seen if this will translate to the college game). I can’t comment much on his ballhandling (although it looked OK in the limited film I saw) or defense (someone–maybe MattD–said that he is a good perimeter defender).

Other than Caris and MAAR, who do have that can play the 2?

Anyone who has seen more film–can you comment on his ballhandling? Is it solid enough that he could fill in at the point in a pinch?

I’m all in favor of landing a really good, 6-4 shooter. The Hollins kids at Minnesota come to mind, except I think we run an offense that is more favorable to shooters. From what I’ve seen, it’s unlikely he could play the point.

I believe Williams has really strong interest, the issue is whether we have a spot for him. Weird situation to be in, for sure.

So it appears that Williams will be choosing between UVa, UNC, Georgetown, and Michigan.

It seems as if some on here don’t want Williams. If we take him only because of Caris leaving and no other attrition–meaning we won’t theoretically have any available scholarships for 2016–I can understand the concern. But if we are looking at him because either Wagner won’t qualify or because Hatch will be placed on medical scholarship (or any other non-rising senior attrition), I think he would be a great get. Plus, we’d still be able to land a true creator in the '16 class.

I have only seen a couple of videos, but from what I can gather: He’s a great shooter, both off the bounce and in spot-up situations. He’s not an explosive athlete, but he has a decent first step and can get in the lane a little bit. He seems to finish well around the rim (although it remains to be seen if this will translate to the college game). I can’t comment much on his ballhandling (although it looked OK in the limited film I saw) or defense (someone–maybe MattD–said that he is a good perimeter defender).

Other than Caris and MAAR, who do have that can play the 2?

Anyone who has seen more film–can you comment on his ballhandling? Is it solid enough that he could fill in at the point in a pinch?

I’ve seen Kenny in person a few times in full games. He’s an above average defender in my opinion. Not saying he can be lockdown at the next level, but he definitely plays defense. Im a fan of his game, but given his skillset, I don’t know that it’s the greatest fit. Would love to get Caris back and still add Williams and let him work on his ball handling a bit before he’s ready for major minutes.

At this point in his development, there is no way Kenny can play PG. He’s very right hand dominant, and is not a change of direction type player. He’s an above average athlete though. Not good, but slightly above average.

One thing I forgot to mention. If for nothing else, JB probably loves this kid because he’s great at taking charges!

In that case I love him, too! Take one for the team! LOL

There were rumors that he really wanted to stay close to home which was why he picked vcu in the first place. If that still holds true, it will be tough to beat unc va and gtown

He’s gathering attention from everyone… As should be expected

@EvanDaniels: Florida, Kansas & Louisville are the most recent schools to reach out to four-star guard Kenny Williams (http://t.co/yHaFapI5JQ).

My guess:

1. LeVert stays
  2. that’s it.