2011/2012 vs 2015/2016

Matt, I get your point. But my sample size of JB’s philosophy goes back 30 years, yours goes back to 07. He is what he is, a great coach who gets more out of 3 star players than most coaches get out of 5 stars. He teaches the game, develops players and excels at his job. I really don’t have to defend him, I let his record and the quality and CHARACTER of his team speak for itself.

What stats are you pulling? Maybe the raw efficiency numbers?

Anyway, the correct adjusted defensive efficiency ranks are as follows (conference only for the Big Ten games):

Year: Overall/Big Ten
2012-13: 48th/6th
2011-12: 61st/4th
2010-11: 37th/7th
2009-10: 58th/5th
2008-09: 69th/7th
2007-08: 100th/9th

Used overall defensive effeciency, and ranked Big Ten numbers utlizing season totals rather than restricting to conference play only.

An adjusted number is almost always more valuable, considering SOS differentials.

Big Ten only numbers are nice because they give an almost even sample size. Obviously there are some scheduling differences but by the end of the year they are pretty balanced.

The numbers aren’t drastically different but top50ish is a bit different than top100ish. Michigan also defended pretty well the year it won the Big Ten (which happened to be Beilein’s most experienced team).

Have a hard time buying into SOS these days, we live in a world where Wisconsin is #5 in SOS when they have played Florida, Iowa, & Illinois at home and Virginia and Northwestern on the road.

Meanwhile, Michigan has the #97 SOS and have played Duke, ISU, and Minn on the road, FSU & Stanford on neutral sites, and UA at home.

Call me crazy, but I don’t think SOS really paints the real picture. Just my take on it.

SOS isn’t perfect by any means but how is not adjusting for it better than attempting to adjust for it?

Wisconsin has played and beaten 9 KenPom top-100 teams this year. Not bad.
St. John’s, Florida, Green Bay, St. Louis, West Virginia, Virginia, Marquette, Iowa, Illinois

I hate the whole Kenpom 100 teams things. The cutoff should be top 30. A good team SHOULD beat sub 30 Kenpom teams but how do they fare against the top end competition? It’s why OSU was touting Kenpom until their world came crashing down this past week and now they are on their board talking about their schedule.

SOS isn't perfect by any means but how is not adjusting for it better than attempting to adjust for it?

Wisconsin has played and beaten 9 KenPom top-100 teams this year. Not bad.
St. John’s, Florida, Green Bay, St. Louis, West Virginia, Virginia, Marquette, Iowa, Illinois

Agreed that adjusting for SOS is good in theory, but on a practical basis what is the difference in beating a #175 team vs a #250 for teams such as Michigan or Wisconsin? That just rewards one team at the expense of another for a number that is strictly symbolic in nature. Nobody in their right mind believes that Wisconsin has or will play a tougher schedule in relation to Michigan, yet there is huge discrepancy in SOS.