11/1 Secret Scrimmage vs Bowling Green: Any update?

Doyle did not play.

It sounds that way. Not sure at all on the format, but it wasn't really a typical 40 minute game. I think the coaches wanted to give the players a bit more of a contest as a team than they had in Italy, sounds like they got what they wanted.

Italy was a bunch of JV teams. For anyone who thought that was a reflection on us a team this year, you’re in for a rude awakening. This will be a growing pains year with a lot of ups and downs. Still believe we will have a very difficult time making the tournament. Absolutely no front court experience will show up glaringly.

Chez where do you think Michigan finishes in the big ten? I just don’t see any scenario where they are not a top 7 or 8 team which is enough to make the tournament

Big ten is down this year, 7 teams may not make it, no way possible 8 teams get in

Big ten is larger this year with the addition of Maryland. And the conference is only down as far as top heavy teams go… It’s still a very deep conference when Maryland is being picked to finish 10th. Only ACC will have an argument as a better conference this year… Big ten just seems more down because they don’t have as many final four contenders

Wisconsin, MSU, OSU, Nebraska, michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland and Indiana are all going to have a shot… Obviously not all will make it but I would be shocked if the conference didn’t get 7 teams in

There may only be a few teams that are among top 5 seeds but I’ll bet 7 get in

Chez where do you think Michigan finishes in the big ten? I just don't see any scenario where they are not a top 7 or 8 team which is enough to make the tournament

It’s going to be interesting to see. As I’ve often opined on, there are three overriding issues that stick out to me. Front court inexperience, perimeter D, and how far we inevitably fall in our offensive efficiency. The schedule seems to be “advantageous”, but let’s see how that plays out. I am very skeptical of Irvin and Walton making a paramount leap as well. I will be ecstatic if we make the dance.

One thing that you have to consider with the larger B1G, because there are fewer double plays, there are fewer opportunities to get RPI top 50/25 wins in the conference because the chances of all the B1G staying in that range throughout conference play are not as good as before. So whereas before we had two chances against Iowa, Wisconsin, and OSU, we don’t get those double chances again. Definitely more of a premium on each individual game in conference play for sure.

Chez where do you think Michigan finishes in the big ten? I just don't see any scenario where they are not a top 7 or 8 team which is enough to make the tournament

It’s going to be interesting to see. As I’ve often opined on, there are three overriding issues that stick out to me. Front court inexperience, perimeter D, and how far we inevitably fall in our offensive efficiency. The schedule seems to be “advantageous”, but let’s see how that plays out. I am very skeptical of Irvin and Walton making a paramount leap as well. I will be ecstatic if we make the dance.

I think Walton is the key, simply because he will have the ball in his hands at such a high rate. I think Irvin is going to have a very up and down year because of his inability to create. He will not have the luxury of being the forgotten man on a stacked roster this year, teams will key in in Zak and denying him the 3 ball. Hopefully Irvin and Walton are able to create a sufficient amount of open looks for Zak

I think Walton is the key, simply because he will have the ball in his hands at such a high rate. I think Irvin is going to have a very up and down year because of his inability to create. He will not have the luxury of being the forgotten man on a stacked roster this year, teams will key in in Zak and denying him the 3 ball. Hopefully Irvin and Walton are able to create a sufficient amount of open looks for Zak

I think Caris should be somewhere in that paragraph.

Caris’ production is a given on the offensive end, his perimeter D will be instrumental to any success given the inexperience with the bigs

I was referring to your last sentence “Hopefully Irvin and Walton are able to create a sufficient amount of open looks for Zak”

You mentioned Irvin twice there

I was referring to your last sentence "Hopefully Irvin and Walton are able to create a sufficient amount of open looks for Zak"

You mentioned Irvin twice there

Thanks for the correction. Seen that a few minutes ago, but couldn’t edit. Obviously meant to refer to Caris.

We will likely to start slowly but hopefully the team will get things mostly figured out by 10 games into the season.

Big ten is larger this year with the addition of Maryland. And the conference is only down as far as top heavy teams go.. It's still a very deep conference when Maryland is being picked to finish 10th. Only ACC will have an argument as a better conference this year.. Big ten just seems more down because they don't have as many final four contenders

Wisconsin, MSU, OSU, Nebraska, michigan, Iowa, Minnesota, Illinois, Maryland and Indiana are all going to have a shot… Obviously not all will make it but I would be shocked if the conference didn’t get 7 teams in

There may only be a few teams that are among top 5 seeds but I’ll bet 7 get in

Yup, this.

The Big Ten was suppose to be “down” last year, too, after Michigan and Indiana lost so much to the NBA draft. MSU was a legit contender going in, but after that it was suppose to be a bunch of good-not-great teams. By the end of the year, the Big Ten was the best conference in basketball.

I really don’t see the Big Ten getting less than 7 bids this season. 7 would be my guess, but I think 8 is even more likely than 6.

I’d say 6, possibly 7, certainly not 8 in my view. We have a lot of mediocre teams this year, including UM.

kenpom has the B1G as the best conference preaseason, with 11(!) teams in his top 40. I think his computer is a little whacked out on this, but we’ll see. Personally I’m pretty confident Wisconsin and Michigan will make the tournament, probably OSU and Nebraska, but after that, it wouldn’t be surprising to see some teams struggle. But what would be surprising is if all of them struggled. Someone has to have a winning record. And with as bad as the bottom few teams will be (Penn St, Northwestern, Rutgers), we could see 11 B1G with a 9-9 record or better. So the pressure will really be on those middle of the pack teams to perform in the non-conference (I’m looking at you, MSU through Purdue).

I’m a little more optimistic than Chezaroo. We went to the national championship game with both our starting 4 and 5 freshmen. Now I know Doyle and Donnal aren’t McGary and we don’t have the experience of Morgan and Horford off the bench, but with reports being good on Doyle and Donnal’s redshirt year in the program we’ll have enough at the 5 to be comfortably in the tournament as long as Chatman can produce at the 4.

I'd say 6, possibly 7, certainly not 8 in my view. We have a lot of mediocre teams this year, including UM.

Eh, I think Wisconsin is a lock and Michigan, Michigan St., Illinois, and Ohio St. are pretty close to locks themselves. In your mind, that leaves 1 bid for Iowa, Minnesota, Maryland, Indiana, and Nebraska. Those are all mediocre teams, but I’d be surprised if 2 or 3 of those teams don’t get seeded on the 8/9/10/12 lines.

I’m a little more optimistic than Chezaroo. We went to the national championship game with both our starting 4 and 5 freshmen. Now I know Doyle and Donnal aren’t McGary and we don’t have the experience of Morgan and Horford off the bench, but with reports being good on Doyle and Donnal’s redshirt year in the program we’ll have enough at the 5 to be comfortably in the tournament as long as Chatman can produce at the 4.

I would temper any expectations of Doyle and Donnal after what I witnessed this evening.