Early rotation thoughts

In the clip above, the biggest difference is quick twitch explosion. Jackson has the ability to get clear separation in 2 steps, whereas X has to rely on step backs to get a clean look. That being said, X knows his limitations and compensates accordingly with floaters, step backs, etc. I do think there will be a transition period for X, but fully think he will be a really nice role player in due time.

Agree, but what about on D? I know that size may be limitation, but some really good undersized PGs (like Tyler Ulis) seem to compensate with very active hands, quick feet and excellent timing. Can X hound/stay in front of opposing guards in that way?

If Tum Tum can play a lot of minutes for MSU, X can certainly be a rotation player for Michigan.

1 Like

Who said he couldnā€™t? Not me. I actually said I expect heā€™ll play 15mpg somewhere up the thread.

[Edit: Sorry, I thought you were replying to me.]

MattD said 5-8, maybe thatā€™s what sane1 was referencing.

Oh OKā€¦ I thought Sane replied to me. My bad.

There not going to ask a lot out of X this coming season just like Waltonā€™s first year although he started he was asked to get the team into its sets and hit open jumpers. But X will play more than ten minutes I believe.

Izzo prioritizes different things. Would Aubrey Dawkins EVER play for Izzo? Would Tum Tum EVER play for JB?

Some thoughts on MAAR:

There were 28 games this year where he played 20 minutes or more. (I think the rest of the games are statistically insignificant - who cares what he did in 5 minutes of action, for example, in an early season game).

In those 28 games, he averaged the following: 32.6 minutes per game, 10.6 points, shot .472% from the floor, and .368% from three.

In 17 of the 28 games, he attempted less than 10 shots from the floor. In 11 games, he attempted 5 or less shots.

In 14 of the 28 games (or half of the time), he scored less than 10 points. In 9 games, he scored 6 points or less.

However, in our final 10 games, his usage really increased. In those games, he averaged 37.2 minutes, scored 13.5 per game, shot .427% from the floor, and .343% from three.

I think those final 10 games are fresh in our minds, and we hope that signals a trend heading into next year, which it very well could. Itā€™s also important to note, though, that his efficiency got substantially worse as his aggressiveness increased. Thatā€™s not exactly surprising, but itā€™s something to keep in mind as we make predictions about what happens with him next.

On the other hand, the ā€œrecencyā€ effect with Robinson is the opposite - people remember his struggles down the stretch, but seem to forget his early season prowess (granted, much of that was before conference play, so it can be somewhat discounted, though he played very well against Texas and NC State).

In Robinsonā€™s first 17 games this year in which he played 20 or more minutes, he averaged 13.4 points in 30.3 minutes per night, shooting .510% from the floor and .488% from three.

In his final 13 such games, he averaged 10.5 points, 34.8 minutes, shot .403% from the floor, and .338% from three.

Between these two, it will be interesting to see who emerges as a bigger threat next year. MAAR has to improve his outside shot; Duncan has to improve his ability off the dribble.

Thatā€™s the thing, X isnā€™t overly quick but he does have motor. I have concerns about X getting bodied ala DW

Beilein wouldnā€™t have recruited Tum Tum, but, if he had him, and there was no other back-up PG other than a walk-on, heā€™d be in the rotation.

Thatā€™s essentially my point, I conceded to Hailā€™s point that X may very well play more than 8mins out of necessity. That being said, I donā€™t think he makes a big impact next year in terms of production. I am a big fan of X and I think he will eventually have a similar on court value to DW, just in a different manner.

Not every player is gong to do everything well. You try to play to their strengths and remedy their weaknesses as much as possible. We got a lot of mileage out of DMo, even though he was never going to be a good three point shooter, by letting him post up smaller guards. JMo could not hit a shot outside 5 feet, but could screen and roll, and became a good finisher during his career. MAAR is a good, not great three point shooter, a very adept guy at getting to the hoop and finishing in a variety of ways. Heā€™s more versatile than a lot of other successful players who have played for Beilein. The next step to really making a move would be passing when help comes at him. Heā€™s shown it at times.

1 Like

Your last point is critical for MAAR to take the next step. See the floor better when attacking the basket as coaches will bring help and he needs to ready this season to find the open man.

1 Like

By that logic wouldnā€™t Dawkins have been our best defender?

I liked the few times Wagner and Wilson played together.

Did any opponent ever stick a top defender on MAAR to try and shut him down like they did to Roninson?

It is what we all assumed but it was good to hear JB on the radio this morning say that DJ Wilson is now exclusively a wing. He will be working on his ball skills all summer and they intend to play him at both wing positions offensively. Hopefully he is finally ready to step up next year. Would provide some serious size and length on the defensive end if they can play him at the 4

2 Likes

Didnā€™t hear JBā€™s comments today, but he said at the banquet that Wilson had been working his butt off at the four. I think it is a wise and, given our surplus of bigs and shortage of wings, a necessary move. I hope he can handle it.

2 Likes

Here are JBā€™s comments