Big Ten Discussion

Really? The UM team was truly cooking last night. Shots. Passes. So impressive.
Better than Stauskas, Levert, Burke at their best?

I vote no. When taking the opponent into account I think getting 1.42 ppp vs Iowa in 2013, who had the 25th best defense in the country, is more impressive than 1.53 ppp against the countryā€™s 153rd best defense. I think thatā€™s the only other game that is comparable in Big Ten play.

2 Likes

^^^definitely, considering comp level. But @ghostofstjohnarena is right, the execution and flow of last nightā€™s offense was off the charts: basically the best team performance that can be expected from a team lacking a superstar.

2 Likes

I really thought the transition and semi-transition play made a huge difference in how clean the looks were from distance.

2 Likes

Passes, transition and half-court, were very well-timed. Seemed like they all knew where the ball was going, before they individually had it.

1 Like

ā€“wolverheel
ā€“BleedBlue
ā€“MattD
Excellent, varied answersā€¦depthā€¦language imbedded in a love for hoopsā€¦this is why I wanted to take part hereā€¦

A good portion of UM players had quality gamesā€¦I felt Walton performed as well as I have seen himā€¦

4 Likes

I agree. The outlet passes and transition really seemed to open things up for the offense. I think Robinson got 2 or 3 open looks off transition alone.

3 Likes

YES. Drob 3s in transition might be the most efficient shot in the B1G. I can live with Duncan being slow off of screens, if he can find the right spots in transition

1 Like

Youā€™re very right, it was easily Waltonā€™s best game in terms of: driving, finishing, and pushing transition. He got bullied by Newkirk a few times, but he played more engaged on defense than he had since ND, last year (maybe the first 30 minutes vs Wisco).

1 Like

Rutgers is up 7 on Wisconsin at Madison Square with 5 minutes left. The badgers are shooting 20% from the floor and 2 for 20 from three. Fun stuff in the conference this year.

1 Like

As of the 4:21 mark in the second half, Koenig/Hays/Brown combined 1-23 from the field (!!!)

1 Like

Wisconsin is going to be the trendy upset pick come tournament time.

Tough collapse by Rutgersā€¦ blew the game in regulation at the FT line.

Interesting one coming up with Maryland at Minny

Happ is one of the few stat-sheet-stuffers, on both ends, at the true center position; heā€™s really impressive.

Was Happ considered a good prospect coming out of high school? To go from Kaminsly to Happ is pretty impressive. They certainly know how to find and develop big guys going back a decade now. They have one consistently good program.

The scouting services rated Happ a 3 star but I remember DX saw him in Europe and said he was misevaluated :

Outlook: No-name three star recruit from a small high school who is not on any recruiting serviceā€™s radar screen, but emerged as one of the best players in Germany. Came out of nowhere to have a tremendous tournament (19 points, 11 rebounds, 3.4 steals in 30 minutes per game, 65% FG%) and help lead the US to the Gold Medal game, where they fell to Italy. Heading to Wisconsin, where he will face steep competition for immediate playing time, but should be able to work on his weaknesses and improve significantly.

1 Like

150 composite on 247. Kaminsky was 218. Wisco knows how to coach their bigs, no doubt. And Happ was really good last year, as a RS Freshman, so he could have 4 years of being a top 3 center in the conference (I think heā€™s better than Bryant and Swannigan); Frank was ā€˜onlyā€™ a stud for his last 2 yearsā€¦but there was that whole NPOY thing

Indiana just announced Blackmon is out indefinitely with a lower leg injury sustained in the Michigan game. Tough break for them and for him since heā€™s now been injured two years in a row. They played great without him last year but they have been hit hard with injuries. They could be in some trouble depending on how long heā€™s out.

Do you think Crean might start to be under some pressure there?