Big Ten Discussion

Yeah, Bridges has always been a chucker from three so the 3PA/FGA stat didn’t shock me but the 42% is impressive. He put a lot of work in on his shot this offseason.

Irvin’s low # and high 2P shooting % this year is also a surprising part of that equation.

Me too. Probably because I only really watched their top matchups early in the season (Duke, Baylor, Arizona, Kentucky) which he went 4-19 - 21% in those so my perception was a poor shooter. He’s been on fire the last 4 games. Before that, he was shooting 34.9% which is solid but nothing spectacular.

He’s 56.5% in his last 4 games.

As to the 3PA/FGA - it is surprising but at the same time, teams dare him to shoot because of his athleticism. I guess that’s probably one of the reasons for their low offensive rebounding too - your best athlete is chucking threes and you only have 1 guy over 6’6" on the roster anyway.

1 Like

I believe Bridges made 4/5 threes against OSU. I was impressed. Didn’t know he had it in him.

Is Bridges taking anything like the number of shots?

Not sure what you mean? 3PA/FGA is a ratio, he’s taking a bigger portion of threes. Irvin has taken more shots this year but that’s just because Bridges missed 7 games or so.

Cool graphic… Teams that have over or under achieved based on preseason KenPom ranks.

Rough season for OSU (who was probably overrated in the preseason rankings).

1 Like

Hard to give credence to a graph like this when a 1 win team in conference is the fourth most overperforming team in the league.

1 Like

LOL! C’mon though, Rutgers is way better than I expected. It’s also the seasonal numbers not just Big Ten. Rutgers was god awful last year, now they are a top-150 team. That’s a huge improvement.

2 Likes

…and the Buckeyes are mired in last place…LOL…

Awesome graph.

Should have been more specific; a ratio is a ratio, but if Bridges was only taking them here and there. . .

Just took a look at the KP numbers, and while that was a historical offensive performance last night, Indiana is 153rd in defense per KP. Indiana is just downright awful on defense based on that, worse than Michigan (now 138).

Although before the game Indiana was 115 and we were 154. We dropped them down about 40 spots, we’ll see if it slowly reverts back as they face teams that don’t shoot like we do.

1 Like

Just looked at it - we held IU to their third worst offensive performance from the PPP metric, which is certainly good for Michigan.

2 Likes

So, you are saying that we played good defense?

Phenomenal defense, superb.

1 Like

Michigan’s post defense impressed me. Wagner constantly worked at and was successful at taking Bryant’s position away from him. On the perimeter, UM defenders were moving their feet really well and beating dribble drives to spots.

Is that the best UM has played this season combining both ends of the floor?

For at least 30 minutes, those last 10 minutes of the first like you said wasn’t the best. That’s why I was still okay with the D because they brought it that first 10 to build the lead.

I think the majority of the second half was a combo of semi-coasting by Michigan and Indiana beating themselves.

1 Like

Defense might have been better in the SMU game, but IU was our best offensive game by miles (reaching back at least a decade).

1 Like