Big Ten Discussion

Maryland and Minnesota coming down to the wire at Williams Arena. Real good game so far.

Five losses in a row for Minnesota and they have 6 Big Ten Ls. Still five home games left but getting toward a tough spot there.

Also… Maryland is legit.

Maryland won’t lose anyone next year will they? Imagine they’ll be a beast with key pieces from Purdue/Wisconsin moving on

Maryland being legit changes the feeling of that home loss. Hurts because it was a missed good opportunity, but not as bad as it may have seemed.

Truthfully the only loss I was disappointed in is how they played at Illinois.

1 Like

Yeah. Look at all our games, who we lost to, how we’re playing now. . . we haven’t been a bad squad. And we’re only just now starting to put it together. Heck, we may go and stink up the place for the rest of the season and make me regret my words, but for now I’d say Michigan’s a team that could become pretty dangerous.

1 Like

We’re almost to the midway point in the league… who do you think makes the NCAA tourney?

It’s really hard to pick anyone after Wisconsin, Purdue, Maryland and Northwestern. Easy to make a ‘no’ argument for just about everyone.

100% agree. The VaTech and Iowa losses were disappointing because an experienced team held late leads, but the losses itself aren’t THAT bad.

I have to guess Michigan and Indiana IF Blackmon isn’t out long. Minny still has some tough games left. I had MSU before the edit but that rest of schedule is tough. (But opportunities left for bigger wins)

Man, can’t even say those two with any confidence ha. Although homerism aside, I do think Michigan makes it.

I think it’s those 4 and us…if Blackmons out any extended time they’re done and MSU can’t afford any more losses period. Minnesota could make a run at it but they’re slumping and I’m not sure they will

Dylan, any guesses on your end based on what you’ve seen?

Still a lot of teams that could go either way. UM, MSU, and Indiana of course. Northwestern seems like a good bet but they have a lot of potential losses too, and their homeport advantage isn’t big enough yet to be so confident of them there. Minny still has 8 RPI top 100 wins. Easy to say us now but a couple games can change everything. I think it’s hard to bet against MSU, even though they haven’t looked great. Get the feeling they’ll get any benefit of the doubt, too. I think we’ll be there. IU has those big wins but not a ton else right now. Going to be very interesting.

Minnesota’s KenPom projected record is down to 8-10. They have a good RPI, etc. but have real work to do and are in a tough spot.

Michigan and Michigan State both have work to do… If Indiana doesn’t have Blackmon for an extended period of time they are in real trouble.

OSU? PSU? NEB? Illinois? I don’t see it. They are all capable of beating any of the ‘bubble teams’ though, especially at home.

Next few weeks should be very interesting.

1 Like

I definitely can’t see a current lower tier team making a push either.

I would think one or two of Michigan, MSU, Indiana (w/ Blackmon) and Minnesota separates itself enough. However, if they don’t, what a crazy year if the B1G only gets four teams and Northwestern is one of them? Nuts.

Minnesota’s lost 5 in a row but if they can win @ Illinois, @ Rutgers, and defend the Barn they’d finish 22-9 (10-8) they’d be in for sure. Even if they drop one at home, I think they’d still make it in.

Michigan - 7 losses…If we can defend home court and win @ Rutgers, we’ll finish 9-9 in the BT. 19-12 overall. Right on the Bubble, little work in the BTT and we’re in.

Indiana - no way. OG out, Blackmon out (even if just short term). 7 losses already and they have @NW, @ Wiscy, @ Minny, @ Purdue…@ OSU won’t be easy, and home vs NW, Purdue, Penn St. They’re going to have 13+ losses.

Michigan State - no way. 9 losses with @ Mich, @ Purdue, @ Maryland, vs Wiscy, …vs Mich, @ Nebraska, @ Illinois won’t be easy either. They’re going to have 12+ losses.

Simply, a win tomorrow would be huge for Michigan. I think it would give us some separation from the rest of the bubble teams in the league with nearly a week of rest before OSU at home and a depleted Indiana team on the road after that.

1 Like

Not to mention it’d be a 2-game swing with another bubble team. And our first true road win. Just looking at selection committee logistics. For that road win to be a rivalry win, in a very hostile environment, is also a nice narrative, subjectively.

1 Like

I feel really good about this matchup. I was much more concerned about the Hoosiers coming into the week. Then again this group of players ( Walton, Irving, Donal) specifically have been the most inconsistent/ hard to read group I’ve seen at Michigan. If I knew they’d start to play smart intelligent, consistent, high energy basketball id have little doubt we go on a run and finish in the top three or four in the conference. It’s just impossible to tell with them which makes the group so average.

If we play our best game and they play their best game in a hypothetical scenario I think we win. Our overall talent is greater as of now imo with their youth and injuries versus our upperclassmen. I really hope Wagner gives ward fits like he did with Bryant. Ward can’t be quick enough to guard him.

Aldo side note I had no idea happ was foreign. That makes way more sense with how he plays and how he just seemed to have an advanced skill set for his age.

1 Like

Yeah, sorry, I’ll take Swanigan pretty easily over Happ.

1 Like

Decided to look into the comparison, because I definitely thought it was at least close:

sports-reference hasn’t updated the Happ numbers, since his ridiculous game against Rutgers, today, but Happ has Orating of 121.4 and Drating of 82; Swanigan is 118.3 and 89. But, by counting-statistics, Swanigan dominates in every facet of offense and greatly in defensive rebounds, too–so much so that I just concede. Still think Happ’s defense and efficiency doesn’t make it an especially easy call, though :slight_smile:

I’m 100% the same…I had no clue Happ was a foreign player. He’s so fundamentally advanced that it makes a ton of sense. I agree that if there’s ever a time for our upper classmen to show up this is it. I’m hoping today is their statement game for their careers at Michigan, sending Sparty on a path towards the NIT.

1 Like