Best Moments Under Beilein

I disagree. He told Warde he was having discussions with the Cavs. Then the Woj bomb 2 weeks later with not a lot in between. That was Monday morning. Where was Beilien on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday etc. He wasn’t in Ann Arbor. He wasn’t with Franz Wagner or having any dialogue. He left. Sorry, I expect more from a guy who loves Michigan and built this program. 48 hours of transition would have changed some things

1 Like

And that’s Beilein’s fault? Not a chance.

1 Like

2 things,1) I am not defending Warde. I am criticizing Beilien for his exit process.
2) I apologize to the OP as I did not mean to hijack this thread. We can take this to another thread later.

Favorite Player Under Beilien - Stauskas (there are so many to choose from)
Favorite single moment for pure craziness - Poole’s shot
Favorite experience at Crisler - Burke/Hardaway against MSU. Mocking the floor slap, getting in Izzo’s face, swiping the ball from Appling etc
Favorite overall experience - Watching JMo dunk against Syracuse to send us to NC game in 2013
Favorite moment outside of a game - Elite 8 last year in LA. Drinking before and after the game just outside of staples. Never had a better time being a Wolverine

1 Like

Per Brendan Quinn, the nothing in between is on Warde. Beilein said “we should catch up” and Warde didn’t reply, in part because he was in South Africa (though last I heard, they have phones and text there). It was also my understanding that Beilein was around on Monday and Tuesday, talking to people including the team, most of whom were around.

1 Like

This argument makes no sense though. The second he took the job Woj knew. That’s how it works in the NBA. You think Beilein wanted everyone to find out on twitter? You can say he made a mistake to tell Cleveland yes before the team, but making this out to be some malicious, heinous act is completely unfair to him. What if he tells the team, then calls Cleveland and they say “oops, too late. We hired someone else while you were deciding. Sorry!” Not exactly an easy situation to be in. Without knowing the details of the situation it’s ridiculous to paint the picture that you’re trying to paint.

1 Like

You are confusing accepting the position vs transitioning after he accepts. I have no problem with him accepting the position Monday morning. It was Monday afternoon thru Tuesday evening that I have some issue with. You are arguing the wrong point. I am not having an issue with him announcing when he did. Stick around for a day or two

Livers’ pass To Rahk for the game winner vs Maryland

2 Likes

You’re completely wrong about what point I’m arguing. I’m arguing that Beilein did nothing incorrectly or morally hazy during this entire process. You’re saying otherwise. Without faaaaar more detail than we’ll ever get until Bacon releases his inevitable book it’s a huge leap to say that Beilein did anything to “wrong” the program other than simply leaving.

2 Likes

To be fair, Woj’s sources are almost exclusively player/coach agents. He knew because Beilein’s agent told him.

It’s the currency of the reporting - his agent gives Woj a scoop and in exchange Woj has to tweet amorphous unverifiable stuff like another of the agents clients sure is garnering a ton of interest!

I just think it’s a fair possibility that John Beilein, being John Beilein, isn’t quite in tune with the insta-update “first to report wins” twitter culture of sports media that is especially prevalent in the professional leagues and thought he’d be able to tell people before word got out. Painting him as an antagonistic figure in the situation makes little sense to me without way more detail.

1 Like

Pretty sure Beilein is his own agent, so it had to have come from the other side.

1 Like

I think you’re correct, I don’t think he has an agent.

People don’t negotiate multimillion dollar contracts without representation.

So who’s his agent?

Or, alternatively, who was his agent when he negotiated multimillion dollar contracts with Michigan without representation?

(Because I’m confident he didn’t have one, but acknowledge he may have hired one for the NBA)

An agent doesn’t leak the signing of a deal without the knowledge of his client. Agents have nothing to gain by doing that. It’s coming out anyways. Agents leak things that will give them leverage in negotiations.

Also very true.

Well they do leak news all the time because, as described above, basically every scoop Woj gets is a quid pro quo deal. I never said an agent would do it without their client knowing.

In terms of who is agent is, I don’t know, but I can’t find that info for any coach.

Maybe he doesn’t, but signing these kinds of deals without a rep is deeply stupid, all my respect for him as a guy aside.

Well to imply Beilein knew his agent was going to leak the news you would need to believe he wanted it broken without being able to tell his players or assistants first. It just doesn’t add up.

1 Like