Best Moments Under Beilein

I think it’s entirely possible for good people to make a bad decision, yes.

IE, I think there is no way to argue that it was beyond Beilein’s ability to notify players and coaches prior to Woj’s tweet. But he needed to prioritize keeping things quiet vs transparency with the players. It’s clear what his decision was.

That said, I think it is possible to both respect and like John Beilein AND acknowledge that he’s capable of doing things that disappoint me.

Beilein negotiated all his Michigan deals himself. It’s on the record. Maybe he hired an agent for this deal but we don’t know.

Yeah, the pregame at Tom’s Urban was really fun!

Dude, you are reaching on this…don’t spew crap and then proclaim it’s true! BLAH, BLAH, BLAH…who’s his agent that leaked the information???

Especially when the Hockey team won to advance to the final 4. Then the marching band appeared outside the bar. I ran into Zak Novak and other former players after the game at the same bar. Just hard to beat.

Question…would you expect Beilien to meet or call the Michigan coaches, players, support staff once he announced he is leaving? Or do you not think that he should have had these communications and just left? Sounds like some are okay if he just left and didn’t talk to team or the staff.

Umm no. You made a massive jump. He told Michigan on Monday morning, then presumably was going to tell everyone but it got Woj’d. Even Patrick Beilein found out online.

1 Like

So since Woj tweeted it out, no reason to sit down with team or coaches and talk to them after the news broke? The news is already out so just leave?

That’s exactly what he did. I don’t know what you want from him.

In fact he did more than that.

2 Likes

If I’m not mistaken, he was still the chair at the chadtough gala tonight… so… there’s that. https://twitter.com/DickieV/status/1129896271811031040

1 Like

He definitely was. Had a lot of good things to say. Got a standing ovation.

1 Like
2 Likes

He is a great man and a great coach. Going to miss his class and approach. I started watching Michigan basketball in 1976. Without a doubt, Beilien is the best basketball coach we have had in this program during this period. While potentially arguable, I don’t think it was close. JB was in a class by himself. I was ready to build a statue of the guy and put it outside of Crisler. Going to be hard to measure up for the next coach

1 Like

Yeah… I’m struck by how emotional his departure is for me. I’m a grown man (and then some) and haven’t remotely approached this emotion with another coach in my life. The kind of stuff that you expect that a kid would feel when their naivete is burst for the first time when a player they love leaves for the first time, or something like that. Except maybe more powerful precisely because you know they can leave, and you know that something special is now gone.

2 Likes

On a selfish note, I was really looking forward to JB coaching 3 to 5 more years at Michigan and then retiring as a coach. I have thought about how emotional his last season and last game would be at Crisler. I have been a season ticket holder for a while. I am not sure if there would have been a better moment in the basketball program’s recent memory. We won’t get that moment but it doesn’t diminish what he did and meant for this program.

2 Likes

Yea and from a more selfish point he had brought the program to a new Stratosphere. I didn’t see an end to the winning anytime soon and he was starting to make even more headway it felt like with top recruits. Finally getting his due, oh well.

I was almost certain a title was coming in the next few years.

3 Likes

Yeah…I feel like he was just hitting his stride and that the Zeb/JAR/Bajema/Wagner/Wilson/Johns/Castleton team was going to win it all.

3 Likes