2018 Recruiting Notes

Hunter’s location in Gastonia, NC is not far away at all from where I live on the north side of Charlotte. If UM shows interest in him through the summer I’ll try and catch a game of his or two next HS season.

1 Like

See Balas’ comments re:C. Ryan?

I only saw he has been quiet lately, which I took to mean quiet all around. Was there something more?

Saw rivals posted JB is visiting Jamal Bieniemy tomorrow.

5 Likes

Yea

4 Likes

Updated scholarship depth chart. Sad to see the 16-17 team go…

3 Likes

Potential transfer? Not sure who this guy is who tweeted it, would be an interesting fit considering he would basically be an undersized 5 who doesn’t shot the 3. Stole this link from mgoblog.

If no Bamba maybe? We probably only have one more year of Wagner/wilson

This would be the second time he has transferred. He originally went to Georgetown. I don’t even know how much eligibility he has left.

He might have not transferred but he signed with Georgetown. Had a really weird recruitment. His bio said he went to three different high schools.

He considered M out of HS.
Joe Stapleton had an interview with him on this very blog

1 Like

I thought he committed to Florida?

As of today doubtful Wilson is around for his 5th year but who knows, my hope is we replace him with length and some ball skills. Dickerson sounds more like a Davis type, is there room on the roster for two of those types of players? The guy performed 12 and 8 in the Pac 12 so can play.

Also read a couple of different places that Webb mentioned the staff looking at a grad transfer guard or wing if we miss out on Bamba. Wouldn’t be opposed to that move but curious how many top targets are still around by the time he decides.

Definitely think grad transfer guard is the best not-Bamba option; that’d really raise the floor of a team that should already have a high ceiling.

Also, give me Ed Morrow–who just announced his transfer–over Dickerson. Morrow is a true 4, and would bring the grit that may be missing from Livers game.

He may have committed to Florida verbally but he signed with Georgetown but they had a loaded front court class and he got out early.

1 Like

Perfect fit!!!

Looks like his body has drastically improved between the umhoops article and the tweet… I would take a pass still.

I honestly think if we get a grad transfer, it will be a wing. Loaded/deep in the front court with very little room (unless you are Bamba) and the PG is a tough position to pick up on the fly for JBs system. I also am guessing that JB is going to want develop the some PG experience this year from the underclassman. MAAR may get some time there, but looking to the future, he wants a PG that will run the system for multiple years. The only way we get a grad PG is if JB doesnt have enough confidence in MAAR, X & Brooks holding it down at least until Dejulius gets here

1 Like

Bummer if he waits all the way until the fall to make it to campus and get his offer. He seems like a kid they could potential snatch up earlier with a great visit.

Long term UM’s guard options look promising, IMO. Simpson for 3 more seasons, Poole & Brooks likely for 4 years, DeJulius coming in the Class of 2018.

On the wing, if the staff feels comfortable that it can land one of Ryan/Carmody/Hunter then no reason, IMO to grab a “roster filler” freshman late in the 2017 Class.

I think that’s where the grad transfer route seems to make sense this year — keep 2018 scholarships open. As for wing v. guard, presuming Wilson & Wagner both return, I’m more comfortable with the 2017-18 depth in the front court than the back court. For me I would be more comfortable if a GradTransfer guard entered the system — even an Albrecht type who projects as a rotational contributor off the bench.

Don’t we need a 5 in the '18 class? Might only have Davis and Teske at that point…we would at least need someone to come in and redshirt, right? Maybe not top priority, but should be thought about.