2018 Recruiting Notes

Gary DeCesare is the reason Matthews is here.

1 Like

Yep – Kentucky transfer Charles Matthews eligible for Michigan in 2017

2 Likes

You don’t think guys ever put the notion in people’s heads? You gotta think he’s already thinking about. I’d love to pounce on that

Maybe “guys” do but Beilein sure isn’t going to. If he plays by the rules - to a fault - when it comes to recruiting non-committed HS players, he’s not going anywhere near a kid on another team until it’s perfectly acceptable to do so.

2 Likes

I agree but you gotta think that kid might start looking around. Maybe not. If he does is love to pounce

So… getting way ahead of myself here but:

If new-look Michigan can make some noise in the NCAA tournament, any chance we’ll see a recruiting bump for 2018 & 19 (in terms of pursuing, and hopefully signing, more highly ranked guys)? Michigan failed to capitalize on the 2012-14 run and I hope would try to use any and all postseason success for upgrades in talent and athleticism.

1 Like

I feel like doing well in the tournament pays dividends much later than 1 or 2 years after the fact. You can’t expect a kid to not even have Michigan on his radar as a junior in high school , and then suddenly be all over us after one tournament run.

That’s a fair point that someone without Michigan on their radar so late in the process might not be swayed, but for those we are pursuing already, perhaps it gives us an additional edge?

If that were the case, we wouldn’t have gotten Eli Brooks, who was offered by Villanova (his boyhood dream school).

A second-weekend run, coming off of the exposure from this past weekend’s B1G run — it might bring some Class of '18 offerees back in to play. Guys like Ryan or Carmody or Hunter who “feel” like they’ve run luke-warm to Michigan, might suddenly re-engage with UM.

But Top50 Class of '18 recruits who Michigan hasn’t offered yet — probably too late.

Class of '19, Class of '20, yes, a longer run helps the staff get a legit look back from more recruits — whether they sign with Michigan or whether UM becomes the 2nd or 3rd choice (as it did with Bluitt, Backmon, Brown, the wing at Syracuse we won’t directly mention)…

Just hope it would cause Bamba to really pay attention.

That certainly wasn’t the case after the NC run in 2013. Recruiting went down, not up. Hopefully, it works out better this time around.

Thanks for reminding us 93grad.

2 Likes

Maybe just maybe a top recruit flips due to this years run, is it time to circle back on some former targets that have not committed? If so who would that be?

I just want Weems in '19. Is that too much to ask?

1 Like

From everything I’ve seen, all three of Ryan, Carmody and Hunter still like IM as much as ever.

1 Like

Justin smith?

If the Indiana recruits get released would like to see us go after the Durham kid.

Looks like relationships and comfort with the coaches was huge for Al Durham:

His father, Al Durham Sr., told Inside the Hall that the comfort level with Indiana’s coaching staff was big in the decision.

“It felt good with the coaches and the plan they have for him,” he said. “The chance to come in as a freshman and contribute to the team. Being able to get to Indiana with the system (Tom) Crean has in place and his track record with guards, getting kids prepared, to have that opportunity, how could you not?”

Durham Sr. father and assistant coach Chuck Martin both graduated from St. Raymond’s in the Bronx.

1 Like

New name Hunter Tyson, 6-7 wing from NC. Saw an article that said we watched him in the fall, haven’t watched video but sounds like a shooter with other skills developing.