2018 Recruiting Notes

We will have three with Bamba’s second year. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yeah this is a pretty interesting development! The narrative when Davis first signed was that we had too many 5’s, but now it may become a position of scarcity again in a matter of 2 years. I think we absolutely need a big in the 18 class, unless we have plans for some small-ball years.

1 Like

I’m not sure a “5” is needed as long as Teske & Davis progress as projected. But at the very least a Big Wing is needed to complement Livers at the big wing spot — somewhat similar to Wilson, compete for backup minutes at the 4/wing plus emergency minutes at the 5?

Two targets mentioned in this article, Talen Horton Tucker and Drew Peterson.
http://www.ny2lasports.com/article_one.aspx?articleid=3770

Aren’t they looking at Loyer as well?

Is it just me or is the number of kids were after seem small come are to years past? Seems like it’s just Ryan, carmody , hunter and bielamly.

1 Like

We don’t know who the full list of prospects the staff is tracking; compared to other programs Beilein keeps the info tight lipped so it’s all conjecture.

Still, I’ll play along:
Beilein tends to hand out more offers during the summer, but with DeJulius already committed Michigan only appears to have 2 more scholarship slots open for 2018. If the staff is comfortable with what it is hearing from its top targets there really isn’t a huge need to expand the net much more?

So a smaller confirmed “watch list” may actually be a good omen this year

He’s committed to Michigan state

1 Like

Lol, huh?

Loyer is an inferior college prospect BY FAR to DeJulius. And there’s no point in taking two PG’s in '18

I attended the EYBL Peach Jam last summer and saw Foster Loyer play for All-Ohio Red, who ended up as EYBL 16U National Champs. I loved Loyer. He ate up AOR’s quarterfinal and and semifinal opponents. (I was unable to stay & view AOR’s Final contest)

Please do not take my pushback as stating you are wrong about the quality of DeJulius being far better than Loyer. However, what I am saying is DeJulius must be one helluva player.

For sure, looking forward to seeing those two do battle in the UM/MSU rivalry games.

Was just on the Illinois Loyalty hoops board. They compared Talen Horton-Tucker’s style of play to former DePaul great, Mark Aguire and Notre Dame great Adrian Dantley. The comparison was that physically they are similar and especially, that Horton-Tucker has an ample backside which he uses to clear space.

1 Like

I’d love to see who else he’ is watching. Shoot for the stars on a few. There are so many transfers I’d love to add or look at. If we don’t at least add a grad transfer this offseason with out spot like last year I’ll be pissed.

We have a really good roster here if we add a good shooting ball handler who could instant impact I think that’s the move. I like elis chances to be good right away and I think Xavier is gonna be a beast, but we need insurance . Freeman from Baylor is an interesting option

In the highlights I’ve seen of Horton-Tucker, I’ve liked what I’ve seen and once his body is college ready, I think he could be a very good college player.

1 Like

Yeah! Imagine Horton-Tucker with another inch or two of height, and a Jordan Morgan type physique… does look like he’d be a very good college player. Looks like he plays at Simeon HS in Chicago area now. That’s the same school from the Hoop Dreams movie, isn’t it? Would think he’d see solid HS competition as well.

Simeon is where Derrick Rose and Jabari Parker went. Hoop Dreams is based on Marshall and St. Joseph’s (Isiah Thomas’ HS)

I think Loyer is a great HS player. Just think he’s a backup kid in college.

1 Like

I have only seen him in the state championship game. Seems to be a player who knows how to play and see the game a step ahead. Also see a future issue that Cassius Winston has and that is struggle on defense against better athletes.

1 Like

You may be right.
Here’s my thinking.
Tum Tum started for MSU this season.
Rawls is to defense as Loyer is to running an offense.
Loyer’s O > Rawls D.
I feel, like Winston, it will depend on who MSU puts around both players as to how successful either is viewed.

BTW, I received a brush up on DeJulius. David sounds/looks like he is a sound offensive player. UM picked up a good piece to work with.

1 Like

Jeenathan Williams please. Just got offered by cuse. Time to recruit

A good Talen Horton-Tucker video…

He moves well, goes coast to coast a couple times, is inside and outside, drives, passes…

Finke didn’t mention Michigan in this recent update.

https://www.prephoops.com/2017/04/tim-finke-video-3/