2018 Recruiting Notes

I know it’s a bit early to think about recruiting so far in advance…but that is the landscape of college basketball. A name to watch is 2018 PG David DeJulius, he will be among the top 5 players in state for the class of 18. My daughter has trained with him on a few occasions in various gyms, and he’s probably a player UM will give a hard look at.

My Opinion - VERY strong for his age, bullies defenders to the rim at will. Handle is good, but change of direction not explosive; but does thrive on getting to the rack and has very good body control in the air. David has a really nice floater (no accident, he works on this for hours in the gym). Not an elite athlete, but quick enough to get by a defender. Jumpshot is average/above average, but has a very nice stepback.

Man if you haven't seen Detroit Edison 2018 PG David Dejulius yet, you're missing out. Easy 26 for him tonight. Played like an upperclassmen

— Branden Hunter (@JustCallmeBHunt) January 29, 2015

FINAL: DEPSA 67-Community 61. David Dejulius w/26pts,5ast,5stl. Ed Carter 12pts. Demario Turner 17pts. pic.twitter.com/wJBQ2Yjq9B

— Branden Hunter (@JustCallmeBHunt) January 29, 2015

Dejulius went for 23, 7reb, 4asst

David DeJulius toying with Arbor Prep, playing with an high IQ @PrepHoopsMI

— Tim Steward (@tdsteward) February 6, 2015

#DEPSA 69 Melvindale ABT 58 David De Julius 25 pts Ed Carter III 13 pts Will Weems 11 pts @PrepBallReport @PrepHoopsMI @JustCallmeBHunt

— Corey Boswell (@coach_cboswell) February 8, 2015

Had a chance to check out another 2018 this week that I thought the board may be interested in - Zavon Godwin. He is the type of player JB loves, and he’s in-state. He’ll certainly be a top 5 player in Michigan for that class.

Prelim opinion (only viewed one game live plus film) - good/very good athlete (especially for a freshman), good catch and shoot player, handle is below average (obviously this will improve with age). Very much reminds me of a younger, but more athletic, Frankie Hughes. Would not be surprised to see JB in on this kid early

Roseville defeats East Detroit 54-37 led by 6'4" freshman Zavon Godwin with 19 points, 5 rebounds, and 4 blocks.

— Steven Manrique (@PrepBallReport) February 17, 2015

One of the nations top freshman David Dejulius had 28 pts, 7 ast & 7 rebs for Detroit Edison in a 71-66 win over Southfield Bradford

— Paul Carmona (@NGSports) February 18, 2015

FINAL: Cornerstone 60-DEPSA 57. Derick Jamerson w/29pts. Jamal Cain 19pts,12rebs. David Dejulius 16pts. pic.twitter.com/you6EqQZMM

— Branden Hunter (@JustCallmeBHunt) February 28, 2015

#DEPSA 73 Loyola 70 Will Weems 30 pts 11 rebs 6 blk David De Julius 15 pts 5 rebs 7 asts @JustCallmeBHunt @PrepBallReport @PrepHoopsMI

— Corey Boswell (@coach_cboswell) March 9, 2015

Watched Zavon Godwin last night based on Matt D’s mention above. His Roseville team lost 59-56 to Lake Shore. If Matt D hadn’t mentioned him, I wouldn’t have noticed him. Probably 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks. Very passive, barely touched the ball on offense. One alley oop, a couple missed tip slams, missed a couple jumpers. Never handled the ball. Talked to the kid filming the game for Roseville who said he’s normally way better, but might have been nervous cus it’s the tournament. Great leaper, not much else based on last night. Of course, he’s 14 years old, long way to go. One other item of note; Lake Shore was coached by…Derek Walton Sr. Small world.

Watched Zavon Godwin last night based on Matt D's mention above. His Roseville team lost 59-56 to Lake Shore. If Matt D hadn't mentioned him, I wouldn't have noticed him. Probably 4 points, 4 rebounds, 2 blocks. Very passive, barely touched the ball on offense. One alley oop, a couple missed tip slams, missed a couple jumpers. Never handled the ball. Talked to the kid filming the game for Roseville who said he's normally way better, but might have been nervous cus it's the tournament. Great leaper, not much else based on last night. Of course, he's 14 years old, long way to go. One other item of note; Lake Shore was coached by......................Derek Walton Sr. Small world.

Pretty much concur…Godwin is catch and shoot at this point, with good verticality. Not a ballhandler by any strectch from what I viewed live. But as you say, only a freshman at this point.

#DEPSA 72 Melvindale ABT 29 David De Julius 12pts 11ast 6stls 5 rebs @JustCallmeBHunt @PrepHoopsMI @PrepBallReport 2 of 2 stats

— Corey Boswell (@coach_cboswell) March 16, 2015

Matt D: It sounds like you were at Calihan on Tuesday for UD v Clarkston. I was supposed to see Clarkston in the Regional Final v Dakota but missed it. This kid Loyer had about 66 points in the Regional, 36 v Dakota. I believe his Dad is the Piston coach/exec. He’s 2018. What did you see from him against UD and Winston?

Matt D: It sounds like you were at Calihan on Tuesday for UD v Clarkston. I was supposed to see Clarkston in the Regional Final v Dakota but missed it. This kid Loyer had about 66 points in the Regional, 36 v Dakota. I believe his Dad is the Piston coach/exec. He's 2018. What did you see from him against UD and Winston?

Only seen him play once, and he’s only a freshman, so obviously a very prelim opinion. The kid has decent skill level, can shoot, has good court awareness in terms of knowing where he can get a quality look, decent handle…biggest problem with him is athleteicism, he’s just not a very good athlete(again he’s only a freshman) in terms of lateral agility or verticality and it showed against Elijah Collins (UD player that was tasked with stopping Loyer - who is also a freshman). Collins held Loyer to 10 points from what I can recall.

Couldn’t find any film, but I have been able to ascertain that Kam Chatman’s younger brother Khalil, is a 2018 prospect from Portland. Seems to be in the 6’5 range as of right now. Will play for Northwest Xpress on the AAU circuit (EYBL team). Was named honorable mention all Portland Public League as a freshman this year. Might be one to keep an eye out for down the road for obvious reasons…keep in mind he’s also a WR in football.

S/O to Franklin High Forward Khalil Chatman and his recent pledge to our 2015 @NikeEYB campaign! #EveryPlayEveryDay pic.twitter.com/6MB07ged6m

— NWXpress (@NorthWestXpress) April 9, 2015

Relevant portion on Zavon Godwin quoted below

‘Zavon Godwin 6-4 Fr Mustangs 15U (Roseville): The Mustangs were the class of the 15U field and ran away with it thanks to a number of players already projecting as D1 locks. Amongst those is Godwin, whose regular season highlights carried over to Joe Dumars Fieldhouse. For stretches he was playing the game on a different plane than the competition. Streaking open court dunker looks like a young Rickey Paulding. Continues to improve with his ability to put it on the deck and create points himself which has you thinking Maurice Ager. Rebounding like a forward and handling like a guard, Godwin is at least top 40 national prospect in the 2018 class.’

http://www.bankhoops.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=464:bell-on-ball-michigan-invitational-and-so-it-begins&catid=18:hs&Itemid=67

Khalil Chatman (NW Express) will be playing at 12:30 at Boo. Wonder if JB will give him a look?

New footage of Zavon Godwin. Looks like he’s really been trying to work on his handle over the past couple of months.

One of the sleepers in the class of 2018 is this kid, Rashad Williams, from Romulus. He’s a 6’2" combo guard who plays with The Family. He can handle the ball and flat out shoot it. Probably hasn’t received a lot of the early hype due to him playing at a more traditional (wait your turn) school like Romulus but I’m certain he’ll be in the conversation for best in the state soon. https://youtu.be/fTPf3DkwkUo

Sleeper?? Has the Cord even been cut on that class?? Sheesh… Try one to watch for.

One of the sleepers in the class of 2018 is this kid, Rashad Williams, from Romulus. He’s a 6’2" combo guard who plays with The Family. He can handle the ball and flat out shoot it. Probably hasn’t received a lot of the early hype due to him playing at a more traditional (wait your turn) school like Romulus but I’m certain he’ll be in the conversation for best in the state soon. https://youtu.be/fTPf3DkwkUo

Came across this film of 18 post Thomas Kithier (6’8/Macomb Dakota). Really impressed with his footwork for a HS freshman, finishes well through contact, displays a FT line jumper. Will definitely be one to look out for.