2018 Recruiting Notes

He seems more like a 4 man in JB’s system? I could see the argument for being better than Carmody, Johns and maybe Hunter since he looks like an even bigger, more physical wing but Ryan’s ball skills give him the edge in my mind.

Based on that film there is some similarity to Donnie Tillman. I think Donnie is a bit more fluid, and changes direction better, but Jeenathan is taller/longer. I’d have to see him live to evaluate his motor, but he looks like a good prospect. I’d say he’s a PF rather than a wing though.

Have been forgetting to mention this for a while, but Michigan has also expressed preliminary interest in Vincent Williams Jr (Toledo) and Talen Horton Tucker (Chicago). Both are 6’5sih power forwards with some ball skills. They are far down the list relevant to Hunter for sure, and Johns as well. Just something to keep an eye on

I’d like to see what you and guestavo think of him this summer. He will be on the city rocks. His stats dipped slightly this year but he has more talent around him now and he said he’s trying to spread the Rock and do more. Their winning more so it’s working.

He’s only 6 6 I’m pretty sure. I see him as a three. Ryan’s handle and shot are better but Williams has solid handle just not elite. I’d love to try and get him to reach out or vice versa to Michigan. Maybe you could facilitate…

Remind me in April and I’ll be sure to take in a game or two if time permits.

I think u should def catch the city rocks this summer. I anticipate them being very good this year. With hameir reclassifying and jeenathan being added plus i have to assume Isaiah is playing up a level to give them a real center and size, they should be very good. Last year they had no big man. It was all tweeter 3 and 4s and they still made peach jam and had s nice record. A lineup of whoever their point is say Girard at the two ( who were recruiting) jeenathan, wright, and Isaiah Stewart and that is a really nice squad. I’m sure they got a bunch of other nice players too. That’s a nice versaitle five though.

We’ve both mentioned wright would be the ideal Michigan four and in overall great catch. Sad to hear that we have never made any connections or maybe he wasn’t interested? Not sure. You could find that easier than I though. Soon as he reclassified kid went from 57 to like 15. Would have to be our best recruit since Mitch. Love me some hameir wright. I describe him as a better more versaitle version of Isaiah livers.

I’d love to somehow introduce you to Isaiah and jeenathan though seriously. Maybe get some more film and an interview. Having Stewart list us on rivals is so intriguing and exciting for me. Would love to know how that came about. If he didn’t hurt his tailbone at USA trials I’m confident Isaiah would be a top 25 2019 and a top three or four pf/center. I’m really worried about g town there though. They just offered. He loves Ewing and the Jamaican connection. It’s def his dream school/ favorite player. When you see him this summer you will see why I was such a fan boy of the kid. I’m confident he will dominate eybl even being a year behind. Hopefully he’s smart enough to see that Thompson jr and g town is not good for his development. I’m
Confused why the school even keeps him on. Screw the father connection. Guy is a terrible coach. Who runs a Princeton offense when most of your recruits are young big athletic urban black kids, who often have less skill but great transition / slashing games. Talk about playing into your opponents hands

Don’t really know where else to put this, so I’ll place it here. Here’s an under the radar kid that has no offers, not ranked anywhere, but I think he has some tools. I don’t think he’s a high major player…yet. But he has great size at 6’5, really nice length, a great shot, and above average athleticism. Really think he’s going to be a late bloomer, and at this time next year we’ll be talking a lot about him.

Name is Gary Solomon/2018, here is some film I got on him in July playing up an age group with The Family.

I like and see where you think he has a lot of potential - surely one to watch especially since he was playing up.

That kid looks very interesting. Great form on his shot. It’s amazing how athletic players are these days. I mean, sure, you can go back 25 years and a player like Chris Webber was incredibly athletic. But now it seems like everyone can throw down highlight reel dunks with relative ease.

Say Greg was a part of the 2017 class, what would be a bigger need and what would you like to see prioritized in the 2018 class, a creator/wing or a 4?

This is probably short sighted but after watching this team play this year and seeing very little penetration/creation give me all the creators you can get.

1 Like

Agreed, ideally a 4 man who can create but we don’t get those recruits. Risky to only have Livers and a frosh in 19 but the game is won with guards and wings.

2 Likes

Guestavo I’m responding to your post/ mattds posts about jeenathan. Imo he could definitely be a four I’m beleins system but I still think you recruit him as a three. If you want him to moonlight as a 4 at times Backing up livers then I’m ok with it for sure. I think you bring him in as a three who can play the two or four at times. I really think he’s versatile enough and he’s for sure strong enough. He’s strong already. Give him a year with Sanderson and he’ll be a linebacker out there. My issue is he’s 6’6 max. At least the last time I saw him. On the second video I posted he does look longer/ taller so maybe he grew? I think he was more 6-5, 6-4 1/2 outta shoes.

At the three he’s better than carmody to me all day. Carmody has the better three ball but I’ll take jeenathan in everything else. If they matched up head to head ( how I like to view recruits a lot ) I think jeenathan would cause Robby real problems, plus he’s so under recruited right now comparatively this would be right up coach b’s alley. I’d have to think we’d top his list over providence or Marquette/ g tech. Get in on him early because much like last summer where no one knew his name to d one major offers, I could see him him going from the marquettes of the world to the cuses or Ohio st ect.

As a four I actually prefer Donnie Tillman Matt d. Donnie is built much more for the four imo. Also Donnie might be my favorite recruit if 2017 and I view him as the biggest sleeper I know of. I’m convinced he’s a top 60 guy. So that’s not a knock on my boy, especially at the four. Jeenathan is more athletic and smoother but Donnie is so strong and crafty. You can’t teach the odd style of play he has.

As for John’s I believe jeenathan would be the superior pick up. Especially upside wide I think Williams is superior. John’s doesn’t seem to create. As you guys say he appears to be s catch and shoot. Jeenathan is far more athletic and has the ability to create and get to the rim and is a real problem in transition.

Also tomorrow Isaiah Stewart is finally back after hurting his tailbone and the national tryouts. As I’ve said he’s listed us on rivals. I’m going to be in his ear about us. Guy would change our program in 2919. I’m convinced he’s that good. I’m willing to bet he’s a top 10 recruit this time next year. Monster

Ideally, the staff won’t have to choose and will be able to take someone in 2017 and both a wing and 4 in 2018.

Going to do my best to watch him this spring/summer. His handle and vision are the two things I need to see before I’m sold but the size/length is intriguing.

Probably my last time repeating this. Really hope the staff goes beyond the lukewarm contact they’ve had so far with Bieniemy. I know OK St is going after him hard and we will be looking at a star on ESPN Mondays if there isn’t an aggressive pursuit. I see one or two perimeter guards every year that has “it.” If McDermott, Marshall, and Prohm are all tracking a guard then that guard is good.

1 Like

Which is unfortunate, as I believe that Michigan would be a great destination year in and year out for stretch four types.

His handle is a 6 out of ten The reason I rank it average is it appears to me that he has no right hand he always goes left it comes back left. This is a huge issue with his gAme right now. If he doesn’t fix this he will have problems on the next level.

That being said that’s the one skill in basketball that anyone can improve on and get better at. Simply practicing heavily will allow him to improve. As you see on that one video where he breaks the kids ankle snd the kid literally falls down , he has s mean crossover. He loves to get to the middle and had a real nice pull up around the elbow and foul line.

1 Like

Well, we have a four right with two years of eligibility left who continues to show new offensive skills every game (and last I checked, was averaging 14 a game in conference play).

New jeenathan Williams highlight. Let’s at least reach out.

1 Like

Wilson and Livers are 2 really good ones for the next 3-4 years and we could lead for Johns and Hunter…