2017 - G - Greg Elliott (Target)

Were not getting Bamba. I was the first person on that train, so let me be the first to exit. He’s not coming. Especially if we cant even sniff the tourny.

Id be fine with either Duncan or MAAR leaving the program and replacing for Elliott. Sick of the limited wings on the roster. Elliott’s only question is his size and there have been plenty of successful undersized wings in the power 5. I like his game. Plus he could still grow.

And if were going young next year, which we are, might as well go all in and get some young/versitile guys some PT to make a run in '18. Next year is a building year.

2 Likes

Without bamba, Elliott only needs Donnal’s scholarship.

1 Like

Brings up an interesting question of whether Greg would wait for a Bamba decision? Don’t think we can even offer Greg until that decision is made, unless JB gave a non-commitable offer (does he do that?).

Didn’t Coach do this last year for X?

No. X was offered and took it a day later.

Maybe I’m not understanding what a non-commitable offer is. I was referring to Coach offering a kid a scholarship before he had the roster space for that kid to actually join the team.

Simpson’s commitment puts Michigan one scholarship over the 2016-17 total allotment of 13 available spots. The Wolverines have two scholarships scheduled to come open after this season (Caris LeVert, Spike Albrecht) and currently hold one additional scholarship left open.

Top-100 PG Xavier Simpson commits to Michigan, becomes fourth 2016 pledge

He is referring to sometime like, you have an offer, but you can’t accept it right now. It is contingent on Bamba going somewhere else.

That can’t offer and accept both Bamba and Elliot, or anyone else for that matter without further attrition. A transfer or not offering Robinson a 5th year. Bamba or Elliot would take Donnal’s spot since he is not being invited back for his 5th year.

The offer to Simpson was committable; he was not asked to wait until a scholarship opened up. If the offer was not committable, Beilein would not have accepted the commitment.

Now I know I’m showing my ignorance, because I had no idea a non-committable offer was a thing. Is that a school’s version of a silent commitment? Sounds pretty meaningless to me.

Non-Committable offers don’t sound like Beilein’s style. At worst, that sounds like a conversation that an assistant or friend of the program would have with the kid and whatever adults are in his corner.

The Beilein version of the silent commit is “we’re waiting on Bamba, we’ll get back to you when that shakes out”.

He might tell a recruit that he’ll offer if a spot opens up, if they don’t get a certain recruit or your grades improve. You’re right, it’s not a real offer if there are contingencies. Probably better to call it a conditional offer. A lot of kids will say they’ve been offered even with the conditions. In X’s case, he was offered without conditions while on campus and took it shortly after.

2 Likes

Did you ever watch Justin Smith play? Curious if you would rather have him or Greg. Obviously the ship has sailed, but I just wanted to pick your brain

Why would it be one or the other with 2 kids that don’t play the same position? The better either or was with Livers.

Difficult to say because they play different positions. Smith is bigger and an elite athlete, while Greg is more skilled in every facet of the game.

While I think Smith would’ve been a very nice pickup, considering our roster needs right now, I’d take Greg since a player that is essentially a GR3 clone in Smith isn’t going to be used to his full potential because we aren’t a transition heavy team.

U know the box score from that Pershing game?

I don’t. Wasn’t able to make it.

22 point win for EEV. Both Elliot and DeJulius had 26.

2 Likes

Is Greg Elliot an official target of the UM staff or just a target of UM fans?

In an interview he said UM is recruiting him

I would also like to know exactly how serious he is as a target.